Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad continues his battle with his 1967 Duetto. It is getting very close now with paint, engine, all coming together - but now he is tackling the dash and has forgotten a few things since he took it apart several years ago (!). Although he photographed and documented things as they came apart, these seem to have slipped through. He thinks they have something to do with the dash and putting it back together - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,604 Posts
Those don't look like factory parts. It's possible those two things are used to hold the dash to the car.

Did you find a bracket like the one in my first picture? If not, those in your picture are probably what was used to hold the dash on. You'll also need three M6 hex-head screws, with nuts and washers to properly attach the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That does sound likely doesn't it? i'll check back with him and see if he has those other pieces. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
11,224 Posts
Those don't look like factory parts. It's possible those two things are used to hold the dash to the car.
I suppose it's possible that a PO lost the factory dash hold-downs and fabricated parts (which would be easy enough for a home mechanic). But the stock hold-downs were "Z" shaped, while the parts in tasfalen's photos are more "L" shaped. Also with the location of the hole in the mystery parts, I don't see how they could substitute for the factory hold-downs.

I must admit that I don't have a better idea what those things are. And unfortunately, the photos don't show much detail. tasfalen: Do they look homemade? Have obvious file marks? Are the holes centered? Are the two identical? I have often made simple parts like these when the correct parts go missing. But my creations always have that artisinal look.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,604 Posts
I suppose it's possible that a PO lost the factory dash hold-downs and fabricated parts (which would be easy enough for a home mechanic). But the stock hold-downs were "Z" shaped, while the parts in tasfalen's photos are more "L" shaped. Also with the location of the hole in the mystery parts, I don't see how they could substitute for the factory hold-downs..
I guess we will find out soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the poor (dark) pictures. When I saw them the other day they looked manufactured/original. I've asked him for more detail.

Looking at these now I wonder if they are for the dash at all, as I recall something kind of similar for the convertible top for my Fiat, for holding something down like canvas.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
are you sure they dont go on the back of the seat rails to limit the seat retraction?

·
Super Moderator
11,224 Posts
are you sure they dont go on the back of the seat rails to limit the seat retraction?
I like that theory. By "retraction" I think you mean "how far the seat can be slid rearward".

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Yep thats what I meant! I have these on my 71 spider, helps especially on the pass side to prevent the long legged passenger from crashing the seat backwards and jamming the bolster into the center console.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Darn I think you're right! They looked familiar, not the top, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks all! Passing this on. I think it's the most likely lol. Document everything when you're taking things apart hey? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts