Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to track down an odd coolant leak in my '86 spider. For the second time in the last 3 weeks I have come back from driving the car and notice a thin line of coolant on the outside of the hood, about center. Opened the hood and noticed some coolant inside of the hood (left hand - driver's side of hood). Just a small line. But can't find any evidence of where the coolant is coming from. The reservoir was still near max so it doesn't look like a significant amount. Looked all over the engine bay and everything looks tight.

Anyone have an idea where this might be coming from?

Last time I had the coolant system open was last spring. Had to replace the cooling fan after failure (engine mounts). At that time I also fixed a hole in the radiator caused by the fan coming apart. All the associated hoses were disconnected and re-connected - none are showing signs of leaks. Checked radiator and can't find a leak, hoses look good. We have put at least 1,000 miles on the car since then and haven't had an issue until now.

Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Had a loose clamp on the upper hose, and I as well looked & looked for quite a while. There was NO evidence anywhere. I never lost much, but there was always a stain on the hood after a long ride. Get a screw driver out and check the hose clamps! Mine didn't leak at first either.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pressure tested the radiator before it went in. Have not checked it since installed.

Just checked all the clamps on the hoses. None were what I would call "loose" though I didn't like the upper hose was seated on the radiator so removed and re-installed, seems to look better seated. Have to give it a drive tomorrow and see what happens.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,534 Posts
Pressure test the whole system. Many auto parts shops will loan you a pressure tester for free. The stock adapters in the kit will work fine for an '86 Spider.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts