Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I think it's a clamp bolt for the exhaust hanger assembly. Put it back on-- you'll thank yourself when you don't have to replace the muffler prematurely!

Dave in KY

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
That sounds right...
Check the support for the center muffler and the rear. Both use this type of bolt on the rubber hanger.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
10,928 Posts
use a nyloc nut on it..

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
10,928 Posts
i might be wrong, but i do not think it gets that hot to mess with a nyloc nut....if so.. the rubber mount might be in bad shape due to the ' heat '

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Stock is 2 nuts, probably a throwback to before nylock. Nylock will work fine....
Search the driveway for another one of the square washers.....
You need one on each side of the rubber block.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Nyloc will be good unless you take a propane torch to it awhile and then some. Long after the rubber block has caught fire and melted away.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Nylocks are designed to be installed on bolts in application that have one of these characteristics: the bolt is secure in its axis, think rear trailing arms 105/115;and/or the head of the bolt is jambed, like the bolts mounting the lower "A" arms to the chassis.
The exhaust hanger does not fit either criteria, as it is unsecured and will move arround as you try to tighten it further or father more, as the case may be, generally you not want to use a nylock where you have to tighten (turn) the nut down bolt length greater the thickness of the nut. Generally you don't use nylocks where one expects to be undoing and reusing regularly. One worst case, someone removes entire exhaust system from car, throws fasteners in the bag, then nylock ends up on downpipe. It is just best practice to do it right, works better and in this specific instance, a hex nut first makes for an easier install. I'm leary of small planes, and if the exhaust falls down, carry a coat hanger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts