Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the site and I'm looking for any info you may have regarding this project I bought in Fresno CA.

It appears to be a custom tube chassis with, what looks to be an original metal roof section and then fibreglass 1 piece front clip, hood, doors, rear fenders and trunk lid.

Many thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
In Aus we would call it a sports saloon or silloutte race car. Basically from what can be seen from your photos the roof section would be from a 105GTV/Junior ?? rather than a GTA, as you note a space frame chassis and some fibreglass panels roughly similar to a GTV. But that is about it. While there are some similarities to the shape of the GTAM, the shape is all wrong.

Good luck, I don't suppose the seller could provide any info on the build.

·
Administrator
12,563 Posts
Love the concept ... not sure about some of the triangulation or lack of triangulation in the frame but an excellent starting point.
Pete

·
Registered
816 Posts
Mystery Alfa GT car

This was probably being built for SCCA GT class racing. All they required was an original roof and firewall. I sold a similar roof setup to a guy in CT many years ago. Dino Crescentini of Ricambi, Jack Beck and Randy Zimmer in Buffalo, NY built up similar cars in the 80s-90s when SCCA allowed full tube frame cars. They could be raced in several GT classes depending on engine size. I think that the 1300s in GT4 were probably the most successful. The roof and an Alfa engine were about all that was required to call it a GTV. Suspension, trans, rear end were all "free choice". I suspect if you do a Google Image search for Alfa GT4 or GT3, you may find pictures of some of them. The Alfa Owner featured the Dino Crescentini car on the cover and a build article. The driving position was almost formula car "lay down" style.
Keith
Alfas Unlimited

·
Premium Member
21,691 Posts
Jon Norman's Alfetta GT was like this. Nothing Alfetta under the skin, and only the roof on the skin. Had mostly 105 underpinnings, homemade frame, etc. It was at the Sonoma convention last year, someone might have pics of it.

Andrew

·
Registered
417 Posts
May I ask when you bought it? I saw the same car in Fresno some two or three years ago and occasionally think back on it and wonder if I should have bought it. The panels did match some molds that Rich has; talk to Rich and see if he knows any history. From what I remember the seller said, he was selling it for someone who bought a lot of Alfa stuff and this was something he didn't want from the lot? Too long ago. Goodluck.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hey guys, this particular car (Alfetta GTV-Chev) is the sort of thing I was referring to. In this instance, while it kind of looks like an Alfetta GTV, there really wasn't much Alfa beyond the grill and perhaps a few parts left. But it was an incredibly competitive car/driver combination. ex tony edmondson.

This example was actually the second car built up. The first one was destroyed. And yes the origins did start off as an Alfetta GT. Personally I couldn't for a moment have any idea what it would have been like to driven, what with that stonking V8 in the cabin next to the driver. The heat, noise etc would have been incredible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys,

Thank you so much for the response, to answer a few questions,

I'm unsure what suspension will go on this chassis, looking in to it though.

The chassis for sure is not finished and appears to have never been raced.

The Dino gt3 does look very much like this, interesting lead.

Love the Alfetta GT.

I bought it from a guy called Kosta, not Rich Goodrich, a lead maybe?

The Mac Russell gtv looks sure close too.

I bought it around a month ago, young guy was loosing storage and so with little idea of what to do with it, I bought it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It is not and has nothing to do with the Dino GT3 car.

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Lots to do there but the sky is the limit. Keep us posted on how this comes along.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello, I sold the chassis to Costa a couple years ago. I bought it from a gentleman near Reno about 5 years ago. His father had bought it and some other cars from the east coast. They had a 2.5L 6 cylinder mated to a 105 trans that they were going to put in the chassis. The roof section is from a GTV along with the rear tail sheet metal. I don't know much else about it. I looked for vin numbers but was unable to find any.
Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, this is not my GT5 Alfa. Jay Iliohan still has it.
The wide body makes me think it would be better as a GT3 car.
The hood and doors look like they may be the same molds, but I forgot where we bought the body, sorry.
randy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts