Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be having some kind of exhaust leak coming from an unkown area. I replaced almost the enitre exhaust from the headers back and it doesn't seem to make any difference. As long as I drive with the windows up, I don't have a problem. But I would like to be able to have the wind blow in my face as i drive like a maniac all over Italy. I heard that a faulty trunk seal could be the culprit, but the trunk seal is fine. Even when I drive with the windows down I don't smell any exaust, but the minute I get out, my clothes reek. Please!!!! I know there has to be something I'm not thinking of.!!

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Perhaps your catalitic converter is going bad and causing alot of excess fumes. Just a thought.

Another Idea is that when you roll down your windows perhaps its creating a vacume effect and bringing in bad fumes thru the heater system. How is that system working?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The heating and A/C seem to be doing ok. One thing I've noticed, I have a plastic hose coming out of the firewall that isn't connected to anything. And I can't really see where it's supposed to go. About the catalytic converter, I don't think I have one. Maybe a previous owner had European exhaust installed. I'll try to explain what I got. There are flex pipes coming down from the headers. Those two pipes connect into what I thought was a catalytic converter (the italian mechanic says its a muffler). After that, It goes to the back to a muffler.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, I see. I went back to the mechanic and he told me that the exhaust pipe that exits out the back is too short and that could be the whole problem. We'll see if that fixes it. I'm gonna drop it off to him tomarrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I took it to the mechanic, and he ran the exhaust out the back corner (next to where the stock exhaust exits, a little to the right, but lower) but still, I SMELL LIKE EXHAUST!!! I can't figure it out. Can there be some defect with the fuel tank gaskets that cause the smell of fuel to enter the cab???? I can't seem to think of any other reason for this to be happening. Except that maybe the header gaskets are bad. But, I would think that I would smell the exhaust coming through the vents. I don't. I only smell it when I have the windows down. Especially when I put down the back windows. PLEASE help me out Alfa people!!

Your exhausty pal,

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
pat_orders said:
Well, I took it to the mechanic, and he ran the exhaust out the back corner (next to where the stock exhaust exits, a little to the right, but lower) but still, I SMELL LIKE EXHAUST!!! I can't figure it out. Can there be some defect with the fuel tank gaskets that cause the smell of fuel to enter the cab????
Question for you Pat.
Do you smell raw, unburned gasoline, exhaust from the tailpipe or both?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't know. I want to say both, but I'm not sure. For some reason, my car has a really distinctive exhaust smell. My clothes smell like I've been running a lawn mower or a weedwacker when I get out of the car. I noticed It's been smoking a little lately too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts