Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was spending a leisurely and enjoyable evening slowly removing the Spica system from the engine I will be rebuilding (stock 2 liter from 1974GTV). This is my first Spica experience so please excuse the novice question.

After removing the Spica Pump I noticed the upper sump cover was covered with what visually appears to be a pattern of cracks, much like you might find on an old Chinese base (pic attached).

The surface of the this part of the sump is rough/uneven because the edge of each crack line in the picture is slightly uneven (maybe just under 0.002”). The crazing extended up onto the vertical side of the sump that is adjacent to the Spica attachment point on the blocks

(1) is this normal?
(2) of yes/normal, what causes it? Rest of engine looks to be in good shape (except for worn rings and guides).
(3) if it’s not normal, what causes it?

I would love to buy the engine Jemison is just finishing up, but we all n ow a race quality 2 liter is big bucks. So if this crackingnis wrong I’ll be shopping for a new sump cover.

John 2761DB5B-825C-4053-B846-95CD39ADA036.jpeg

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
  1. Normal?? Must be an interesting casting process. Haven’t seen anything like it on any other motor I have, all of which have cast aluminum heads, valve covers and sump covers.
I’ll chalk it up to Alfa idiosyncrasies.

Thanks
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts