Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 duetto, with webers. Car sat for about 3 years. removed fuel, cleaned and relined the fuel tank, cleaned out fuel lines, changed oil, put a bit of oil in pistons and cranked without spark plugs to lube before starting. put some cold start spray in open carbs before starting. after just a few tries, the lines filled with fuel and car started.... ruff, but stared. only ran for about 30 seconds. i didn't want to rev and let in die.

Checked the engine....and we have a problem...... my carbs are leaking. Are my floats stuck? what the heck is going on. i don't want to try to restart, too much fuel around and i am sure those guys shouldn't leak onto the garage floor. they are making a gurgling sound and spilling fuel unto the floor?

any idea on what it might be?

carbs were rebuilt about 4 years ago, maybe only 200 miles ago.

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,041 Posts
Where r they leaking from?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Carbs have a lot of varnish deposits. Fuel float needle is probably stuck.

Unscrew fuel lines, cap and screws and remove the top. Float and needle assembly is attached to the top. Unscrew everything and soak in a Mason jar half full of lacquer thinner. Fill the carb half full of same. Let soak for hours or a day; swirl with a long brush. Suck out with turkey baster, repeat.

If you get a carb overhaul kit, it'll have all the gaskets and copper washers. Good stuff.

Reassemble, fill carbs with fresh gas and they'll purr like kittens.

Robert

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carbs have a lot of varnish deposits. Fuel float needle is probably stuck.

Unscrew fuel lines, cap and screws and remove the top. Float and needle assembly is attached to the top. Unscrew everything and soak in a Mason jar half full of lacquer thinner. Fill the carb half full of same. Let soak for hours or a day; swirl with a long brush. Suck out with turkey baster, repeat.

If you get a carb overhaul kit, it'll have all the gaskets and copper washers. Good stuff.

Reassemble, fill carbs with fresh gas and they'll purr like kittens.

Robert
Good stuff, will do. i used to be scared of this kinda stuff and have others do the work all the time, but if your gonna own an older alfa, you better be ready to learn and get your hands dirty. time to learn about stuck floats....

Thanks Robert

·
Premium Member
14,551 Posts
The intakes of my Webers have always been a bit wet after the engine has been running. I have had three different sets of Webers, three different kinds of fuel pump and I have tinkered with the fuel pressure regulators. I have the starting circuits blanked off to eliminate that as a source and I have installed new float needles. I just accept that if the pressure is high enough to provide sufficient fuel at high load and rpm then it will be high enough to cause slight flooding after the engine has stopped.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I agree with 60sracer, the float needle is probably stuck open. Clean everything like he suggests and see how it goes. The carb kits come with new needle valves if you decide to get them. The gaskets and seals could be dried out after three years, so it's probably a good idea. Also check the fuel pressure regulator, Webers only like 3 or 4 psi. or fuel can be forced past the needle valve. The regular shop manual should cover the Webers well enough to do a rebuild, I have used the Brooklands manual for years and it has been very usefull. Sounds like your really getting things done, hope to see it on the road soon!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
If it's only been a couple of years you can probably get away without a full rebuild. Once you can get the needle valve to work properly I'd next check the accelerator jets. Look down each carb throat with a mirror while pumping the throttle. If you can't see a little spray of fuel in each throat there's probably either a clogged accelerator jet or a stuck check ball. Happens quite a lot with carbs that have been sitting, and it's not at all hard to fix.

Good luck,
Jason

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with 60sracer, the float needle is probably stuck open. Clean everything like he suggests and see how it goes. The carb kits come with new needle valves if you decide to get them. The gaskets and seals could be dried out after three years, so it's probably a good idea. Also check the fuel pressure regulator, Webers only like 3 or 4 psi. or fuel can be forced past the needle valve. The regular shop manual should cover the Webers well enough to do a rebuild, I have used the Brooklands manual for years and it has been very usefull. Sounds like your really getting things done, hope to see it on the road soon!
My girl lives!!! Haven't heard her purr for almost three years!!! Yes, Greg, I have been working on her almost every night. I looked in some boxes that read "Alfa parts", crap I found a bunch of new rubber and all kinds of parts I didn't think I had! Anybody need a light for their smoke? I found my Duetto cig lighter, didn't remember having that!!!

Thanks for the advice guys, this message board is amazing. Sure wish god'ol Brian (Ossi) would come back....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts