Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
George,

Holy [email protected]%! That is looking fantastic. Can I ask about your seat upholstery. They look really tight, are they 'covers' or done from scratch? Also, what type of springs and shocks are you running?

Best of luck finishing it,

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Heh hey! Someone is going to walk away with some trophy hardware at a show with this car! Awesome! Any pictures of the engine before you drop it in? Where did you get the carburetors refurbished to look like new?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
this is soooo SWEEEEEET!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Congratulations!

It´s a Dream! ;)

Best Regards

Marco

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Veloce restoration nearing completion -- MORE INFO AND PHOTOS

Thanks to all who have commented on my restoration. I will try to answer your questions as best as I can.

I purchased the car last year and started the restoration late in the summer of '06. I work on the project about 6 hours per day most days. I have done all the work myself except paint, chrome, power coating, other plating (zinc), and some machine work. I also did not rebuild the 5 speed transmission myself, my friend Denny Pillar did that for me. I am building the motor myself with some help from my friend Stu Moss.

I disassembled the carbs, bead blasted them, brass wire brushed them and then reassembled with sealed bearings and some new hardware (the rest was zinc plated).

The suspension springs are from Centerline and the shocks are Koni. Everything was powder coated, replated and rebuilt. 1" swaybar and new tie-rod ends.

The seats were one of the hardest parts of the restoration. I was missing most of the seat rails and one seat. I had to make one + set of rails (5 pieces) and find a missing seat. The seats were stripped of all material dip-striped of rust, repaired and all seams re-welded by another friend Rob Benko (Vintage Metal Works). The seats were then taken to the upholstery shop where new padding was made and the seats were made from scratch in a leather like vinyl. He did a fantastic job; firm and tight and very comfortable.

Like I mentioned before the engine is in progress and should have it completed in about a week. I have installed a 1400 kit all new bearings, bushings, seals, etc. 20k over.

Here are some of the resources I used for services in case you are interested and close enough to utilise.

1) Vintage Metal Works, Rob Benko -- seat repair, metal fabricating and welding: 360 833-0538
2) Acme Welding Inc., Auto Body Division -- Paint and body work: Dwane Olofson 503 230-1873
3) Larry's Upholstery, Andy -- Seats and panels: 541 926-4346
East side Plating -- Clear Zinc: 303 654-3774

Also, here are some additional photos.

Cheers,

George
George Kraus
1960 Giulietta Spider Veloce
Complete nut and bolt restoration nearing Completion
Portland, OR

e :: [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
6 hours a day for over a year-that sounds about right. I always figure 1000 hours of labor is a starting point for a full restoration. it is also why so few full restorations are ever finished! What are your plans for the car when it is done? Its almost too nice to drive it! Congratulations again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I need restore the instruments ( gauges ) of my Sprint 56...

Opinions about that, please...

Thank you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did send out the gauges for the mechanicals to be cleaned, rebuilt and calibrated and the spedo put back to "0". I cleaned all the faces, repainted the black rings behind the clear plastic (numbers), repainted the needles and polished the needle centers, replaced the clear plastic pieces, and of course rechromed the bezels. I also re-plated all exterior screws and associated hardware even though you don't see it. That is the way everything on this car has been done from the windshield motor mechanism to all internal brake pieces. Maybe no one else but me will know it was done -- but I would know!

Cheers,

George

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Fantastic!

I love the colour of your camcover and inlet manifold. Are they powdercoated? what colour?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
George,
Great work, and I hope you get her out on the road before the weather turns ugly. One small suggestion: when you're ready to put the engine back in, remember to pull the glass bowl off the fuel filter. It's easier than you think to hit the filter with the motor as it's being positioned in the compartment, and it's not easy at all to replace the bowl. I suppose we'll see the black beauty in '09 when the AROC convention is in Portland, no?
Have fun, Jim

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Jim. I also plan on installing the motor without the transmission. Any thoughts on attaching the carbs on the engine before installing the engine?

G

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
George,

Thanks for the engine bay shots; I'm at about the same stage as you are in the restoration, though a few steps behind. These photos will come in handy.

Regarding the brake hydraulics... did you re-plate the old tubes, or bend new ones, down by the MC?

For comparison, I put in 5 hours a WEEK, if I'm lucky! I progress like a snail.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Patrick, I re-plated the old ones as they looked to be in good condition. I saw photos of your white now black Giulia. Very nice. Here are a few more shots. If you need any detail shots for reference let me know.

Cheers,

George

Attachments

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
The Marchals are a nice touch rather than going with Carello. :) Where did you manage to find a set of the front fender turn signals? Your pictures make for a great reference for others to look to for details on a restoration. Do you have any pictures of the rear axle assembly?

1 - 20 of 384 Posts