Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my 87 Spider Veloce.:) The car ran pretty well the first couple of days and then it just stalled out after stopping at a stop sign.:eek: When I tried to re-start the car it sputtered for a few seconds and nothing.:confused: It acts like it wants to start but seems like it is not getting fuel. Could it be a bad fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter? How can I find out what the problem is? Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
My 84 had a similiar symptom. Turned out to be the fuse for the fuel pump. Look under the back "seat" panel behind the passanger seat. You will need to unscrew the panel (2 screws I think). Next to the computer should be an inline fuse. Hope it is as simple as this! Good luck. BTW, have you listened for the humm of the fuel pumps?? YOu can seperate the pump sounds by temporarily removing the leads on the top of the gas tank in the trunk. THis will kill the in-tank pump (if its working) and you should hear the faint humm of the main pump.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Make sure the Large Hose that is clamped onto the AFM has not pulled off. I had a simular situation on my Spider. I stopped and started to go and it just stalled out. Restart was possible but a soon as I went to accelerate the car stalled out. I found that I had not tightened the clamp enough on my AFM hose when I was working on the car earlier. Slipped the hose back on and retighened the clamp and all was well.

Dave

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Most common no start problems are grounds and air leaks. Check the link to the Spider L-Jet page that Eric mentions above. It is usually something simple!

Good luck.

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts