Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Running a 14" wheel with a 185 tire and, inflated, the tire won't fit in the well. Were these supposed to take one of those donut spares?

The manual for my car shows phone dial wheel in the well. I have the 14" campagnola or whatever they call them... I can't imagine that has anything to do with it..

Am I supposed to store it in a "deflated" state and only put air in it when ready for use?

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
A mini spare for a Ford Focus will work and also fit in the well. Or you could buy a low profile tire and use it on your spare rim.

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
Were these supposed to take one of those donut spares?
No, the full sized (inflated) wheel and tire ought to fit. Is the diameter too large, or the width? What is the aspect ratio for your tires? It should say "195/XX" on the tires' sides - what is that "XX"? If they are 195/70's, then they would be .55" larger in diameter than 185/70's your car was designed for.

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
Mine have always been so tight in the spider well that it is impossible to get them in or out with the tire properly inflated.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well, I guess I'll be the contrarion. I have a 195/60 x 15 spare and it fits fine in the L-jet Spider. I like Ed's idea of a mini-spare from a Focus though. The weight savings would have to be more than a few pounds, especially for those of us with phone dials.

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
My Spider has a trunk mounted battery - it was standard with that year. The corner of the battery tray hangs over the spare wheel well and that is part of the problem. Maybe the spare wheel situation is better with Spiders with batteries in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, the full sized (inflated) wheel and tire ought to fit. Is the diameter too large, or the width? What is the aspect ratio for your tires? It should say "195/XX" on the tires' sides - what is that "XX"? If they are 195/70's, then they would be .55" larger in diameter than 185/70's your car was designed for.
185/70/14....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Spider has a trunk mounted battery - it was standard with that year. The corner of the battery tray hangs over the spare wheel well and that is part of the problem. Maybe the spare wheel situation is better with Spiders with batteries in the engine compartment.
Mine has the battery in trunk also although I can angle the spare in there ok. It's just that the tire/wheel too large for the space.

I like the focus idea, just for a emergency backup.

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
Quadrifoglio Spiders came with 15" wheels.
Oh. Learn something new every day. But with what sized tires?

Craig_M67 said:
So did the '66 Duetto.
Sure, but Duettos came with 155 sr15 tires. While the wheels may have been 15", the tires were small enough that the overall diameter wasn't much different from the later cars with 185/70 14's.

AFineRide said:
185/70/14....
OK, so now you're saying that those 14" wheel with a 195 tires that you're running are 185/70/14's. Well, I'm stumped. Is it possible that the spare tire well has gotten dented, and that's why the spare doesn't fit?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wasn't it 205/45-17 your spider had (seen in your avatar)? or have you since changed the wheels...
Yes, you are exactly correct. the car came with those 205s and the ride was hideous. I attribute the damage to the suspension to those stupid wheels. I since replace them with the 185's.

I guess I need to update my avatar.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh. Learn something new every day. But with what sized tires?

Sure, but Duettos came with 155 sr15 tires. While the wheels may have been 15", the tires were small enough that the overall diameter wasn't much different from the later cars with 185/70 14's.

OK, so now you're saying that those 14" wheel with a 195 tires that you're running are 185/70/14's. Well, I'm stumped. Is it possible that the spare tire well has gotten dented, and that's why the spare doesn't fit?
Manual says the Veloce gets 195/60/15s and the non Veloce get 185/70/14s.

I have the Velcoe but many of the members here recommended the smaller rims and tires. Don't recall why. I think it had to do with ride quality.
I don't recall seeing a dented well but I will have to go look.

I'm not an idiot, I just have several cars and I sometimes forget the unique characteristics of each car...sorry...

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
195/60 on 15" rim fits

I have a 195/60 R15 on a stock 15" x 6" phonedial rim as my spare and it is a very tight fit past the overhanging battery, but with a little fiddling it does lay all the way down flat in the well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Manual says the Veloce gets 195/60/15s and the non Veloce get 185/70/14s.

I have the Velcoe but many of the members here recommended the smaller rims and tires. Don't recall why. I think it had to do with ride quality.
I don't recall seeing a dented well but I will have to go look.

I'm not an idiot, I just have several cars and I sometimes forget the unique characteristics of each car...sorry...
Tire well not dented. The 14" 185/70 just doesn't fit....:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Could it be possible that at some time in the cars life the original well rusted out and was replaced with an aftermarket one that is just that much smaller. My spare fits but like Norseman50, with very little room to spare - maybe 1/4" clearance on the diameter.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Tire well not dented. The 14" 185/70 just doesn't fit....:confused:
something ain't right!.......got a photo of that 'well' with tire removed? just for fun, measure it across.
my 195/60-15" phonedial slips in just dandy on my S4.

hopefully not a past rear shunt??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts