Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I have been posting here since before I bought my Spider. I guess it's time to introduce myself in this forum and show some pics of my new obsession.

I have always been a car guy. Mostly amercian muscle was my thing.Some of the cars that I have owned are a 73 Barracuda (my first car), 70 Challenger, 73 Challenger, 80 Z28 and 81Z28. After getting carried away with building a 575hp 406 for my 81Z28, I decided to change my approach. My wife also hated the Camaro and the fact that I only spend time working on the car and not driving it. Let's not even talk about the $$$ once you get into high performance modifications.

My best friend has been an Alfa owner for 35 years and He has influenced this decision greatly.

SO now for the car: It's a rust-free 78 with 113 000 km on it. The original owner converted the car to euro (except bumpers) this is why the speedo reads km. Webers with a factory cold air box including intake and hose are installed.

The engine requires 94 octane gas for some reason. It tends to knock under load (1st gear from stop) with 91. I don't know if it just needs some adjusting or the head/pistons have been modified.

When I first got it I drove it a lot. It hadn't been driven much for 4 years and I soon realized what happens to old rubber when you make it flex. I have already changed the motor mounts and trans mount. Great threads on this here! I could not have done this without the bb.

There more to say, but I know that pics are more important. So here they are.

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,051 Posts
Nice S2! Congrats and enjoy. Love the italian script on the speedo....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice S2! Congrats and enjoy. Love the italian script on the speedo....
Thanks!

Yeah I like the Italian on gauges as well. I wish I knew more on the car's history. I don't have much from the original owner except the original owners manual and dealer's warranty with his name in it.

·
Administrator
17,512 Posts
After getting carried away with building a 575hp 406 for my 81Z28, I decided to change my approach.
Nice looking Spider! IMO, you can have a lot more fun with 100hp than 500 hp. How often can you really use 500 hp on the street? But you can use all that 100 hp & it will give you a big grin - it just takes a little more skill than simply pressing the gas pedal. Plus it'll go around corners...!

The engine requires 94 octane gas for some reason. It tends to knock under load (1st gear from stop) with 91.
Are you sure it is engine knock? It'd be unusual to have a lot of knock in only in first gear. Piston knock is typically more a problem at low/moderate rpm & under load in a higher gear. There shouldn't be much of a load on the engine in first gear. Maybe the sound is drivetrain or rear suspension? The drive shaft has a rubber giubo (aka donut). Make sure it is not failing. There is also a center bearing to check while you are underneath.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure it is engine knock? It'd be unusual to have a lot of knock in only in first gear. Piston knock is typically more a problem at low/moderate rpm & under load in a higher gear. There shouldn't be much of a load on the engine in first gear. Maybe the sound is drivetrain or rear suspension? The drive shaft has a rubber giubo (aka donut). Make sure it is not failing. There is also a center bearing to check while you are underneath.
Thanks Eric,

Yes I'm sure it's detonation due to compression. 94 octane eliminates it. The P.O. told me he would use 91 with octane boost, so I assume the head was shaved or the pistons are aftermarket or both.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great. Fantastic actually.

Also curious about the need for 94 octane,

Don
Thanks!

I am also curious. I have taken it out for some good runs, so I don't think it's carbon deposits. Maybe it is... no idea.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mystery solved - why I need 94 octane

I was at Garage Salvatore in St-Jean QC yesterday to have my front suspension fixed up. The owner is a Sicilian mechanic who worked for Ferrari in the 60s. He has photos on the wall of himself working on Ferraris in the '64 24 hours du Mans.

Well, this man modified my engine. He remembered the car and it's original owner who he says was an Alafa maniac. He told me the engine is easily 145 hp and has had the head shaved and modified euro cams. He would not disclose details as he said this is his trade secret that he does not share.

What a pleasure it was to hear about my car's history. Needless to say I was thrilled to hear about the mods on my engine. It certainly explains why I can smoke 73burnout's GTV 2000.

It was also a delight to meet Salvatore Montana. What a nice gentleman. If you are close to Montreal, he's the guy to see for your Alfa.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Pretty car. My 74 will also retain it's original silver. I hope when done it looks as nice as yours! Dickson

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty car. My 74 will also retain it's original silver. I hope when done it looks as nice as yours! Dickson
Thanks Dickson,
Good on keeping it silver.
Us silver spider people don't have to talk about how fast our color is.
We know it's the fastest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts