Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my second Milano. It's a 1987, lowered/sport springs, heavy anti-sway bars, free flow air-intake filter and some wicked sounding exhaust.

I got this one for a mere $1,200. I had to replace the hood, both front fenders and the headlights then have it painted. The donor body parts and headlamps came from my old red Milano.

This thing handles like it's on rails:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I love Milanos

I wish they had the 1.8t milano out here, that thing would be so sweet, throw in a big turbo or chip it! But the ones we have are nice but I just like turbo engined cars.

What are some mods that can be done on a Milano in the states that are smogable?
I want to get a Milano in the future and make it a Track/BadA** street car! Just curious to know what you can do to a Milano

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
V6 Mods

Well...the most common thing to do is slap in some S Cams from a 164 S. Install a good exhaust system. Like any engine make it breathe well. If you have a 2.5 then you would do an engine swap and stick in a 3.0. If you are really tricky then you can slap in a 3.0 from a 164, supercharge or turbo it and off you go.

You can chip it too...I hear Mr. Di Mateo has some.

This is all costly, too much for me, so I'm happy with a naturally aspirated 2.5 V6.

Honestly you can eek out more horses out of the V6 but for the most part Alfa has given us a great stock engine that you can't really improve on without investing a buttload of cashola.

You might want to check out: www.gtv6.org for V6 tuning tips.

Gimme one of those AutoDelta supercharged SZs and I'd be a happy man:

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Hmm I see.

Whats the 3.0 engine pump out Horsepower and Torque? How does it perform in acceleration in 2nd and 3rd, does it pull hard?

I've never driven a Milano. But I have driven a grip of Audi 3.0 there super sweet (worked at a Audi/Porsche dealership, oh it was lovly taking S4's in the canyons).

p.s. I like this autodelta site!!!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Another common mod is to take a GTV6 and slap a 3.0 from a Verde into it.

Having driven a 164L 24v 3.0 I can say that they are little beasts. 2nd to 3rd...lays you back in your seat very nicely. They put out something like 210hp stock. The only prob with the 164 is that they are heavier and FWD then the Milano or Verde.

My Milano puts out somewhere between 160 - 180hp (rough guess) and is torquey for a mere 2.5. I can hit 60mph in 2nd gear. Heheh.

You should drive one of the Alfa sixes, they are smooth, torquey and sweet sounding. As one automotive writer put it, "...the Alfa V6 has a lusty growl..."

I would buy a Verde if I got another Milano. The 164 while nice is has way too many bells and whistles and the FWD makes the front end wiggly under acceleration. Plus I can't stand the idea of understeer.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
One day I'll get a Milano! I probably won't get to test drive one though. Just like my GTV. Didnt know anybody with one or someone that would let me drive theres. So I just bought one and I test drive it everyday.

But I knew the GTV was going to be LOVE! That will probably be the same thing with the Milano.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Magista is right on about the s-cams and a good exhaust. A mild port and polish to go along with that is a good idea. Another popular mod. is to swap a platinum transaxle with its lower gearing it makes a huge "seat of your pants" difference. Myself, I will be staying with my Verde transaxle and lighten the gears. I don't want to give up the top end speed and I kind of like where the torque comes on.
Another thing that can be done is to switch from l-jetronic to motronic injection. I understand it works quite well and you can chip motronic.
Finding an older but larger AFM from a mid eighties BMW 6 or 7 series will help your engine breath a bit better.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
V6 Mods

Ahh yes...forgot about the old Port and Polish, lightened gears and the like. All good mods.

The Milano is a nice driving vehicle that's for sure. Well balanced, comfortable, nimble and quick. If your ever up in Seattle you can take both my Milano and Berlina for a spin.

Have a great New Year!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,421 Posts
Don't overlook headers.

I installed a set of CSC headers with a flanged twin catalytic converter system on my 2.5 and picked up 13hp without the cats and 6hp with them in place. These gains were at 5000 ft elevation so people at sea level would probably see bigger numbers. This system passed CO smog (dyno test) without a hitch.

Along with some other bolt-on mods - S-cams, Pandora's Box ECU, Verde air box with K & N - my Milano pulls pretty hard for a 2.5.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, saw your article on Alfa Centro about the headers. Very nice.
Also saw that you have Panasports on your Milano...which look great.

As far as the Pandora's box ECU...where do you pick these up?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,421 Posts
The Pandora's Box is available from Alfa Heaven and consists of a modified ECU and Spark Control Module. It's crude compared to a programmable engine management system, but seems to work OK. The biggest gain for me is the deletion of the rev limiter.

It also will not pass smog, so I have to keep a spare stock ECU handy.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I have S-cams in my 3.0. Too tame. I haven't fine tuned the a/f and ignition yet. But if anything, I would forget the S-cams and go with Colombo e Bariani cams! Get the milder ones which have about 10.5mm of lift.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Borani cams are very good cams but the S-cams are proven to pass inspection tests. Although lift is important, duration (the amount of time the valve is open) matters more at the inspection station. Because Alfa engines are pretty radical out of the box there is very little room for improvement without failing the smog test therefore, going with the s-cams is a safe and cost effective improvement for the alfa V6 12 valve

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I don't think Alfa motors are radical out of the box. Especially the V6, very mild engine. The cam overlap for the V6 is not as high as the 4-cyl motors. I will find the website for the colombo bariani website which lists all the intake and exhaust, open and close values.

But yeah, smog might still be a problem. Last time I smogged my car it was very very clean. Almost no readings. That was with S-cams. I suspect the readings will hover slightly around the average for the cars produced within that period.

Sequential EFI helps bring down emissions though. A laptop and a wideband A/F meter also helps ;)

BTW, Damian you have a nice car. Same color as mine I think. Zafiro blue? Looks sharp! My car needs a paint job!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Milano Paint

I had the front end painted and blended back cuz the hood and panels I used were AR Red. The guy did a great job...only $800.

On a sad note...my Milano refused to start this morning. Last night on the way home it was pouring down rain and I noticed that when I used my heater fan or hit the brakes the stereo would go off. Argh. This morning it wouldn't turn over.

I hate hunting for shorts. I'll just drive the Berlina this weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts