Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Alfisti's .... This is my first time using a web ring bulletin board, and I cant be more excited. I just wanted to share photos of my two beautiful ladies..... A 1971 1750 Spider Veloce, and a 1987 Quadrifolio spider.

The 1750 has been in my family since before I was even a twinkle on this earth, and was given to me at the tender age of 17 in very poor shape. It was basically a shell with a mouse home where a prestine engine should have been. The rockers were gone, the interior was taken completely out of the car and was also in poor shape. The top was shredded by a cat, and the dash looked more like the grand canyon with cracks. To make matters worse the car had been nosed a few times so it was a sad sight from the front, and the hood had two large dents in it.

Five years after I started working on her, I finally got to see her total beauty, which is how I keep her today, but this time in a well kept and dry garage space.

As for the Quardifolio, I bought that one last summer dirt cheap basically so that I could spare my 1750 from my particular style of driving, BUT I fell in love with it as well, and I have spent many hours working on her to bring her back to decent shape.

When I bought her, the paint was shot, the interior was a filthy dirty mess, and there was more oil in the engine bay than there was ever in the engine! It took a few months of work, plus some help by my best friend Taso.... AlfaTaso to you BB members.... so that now she is a real stunner.... and I love driving her.

So To all you Alfisti's out there ..... take a look at my photos and tell me what you think..... I am always interested in the thoughts and comments of other blessed individuals who own these wonderful cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reply's to Posting

John M

Ah......beautiful.......

Great job on bringing those two back to life. They both look excellent. This is the way every garage should be.....with two Alfas! Only one thing you need to do to make it perfect. Hang an Alfa flag above the two doors of the garage!

John M

67GTV
Monsignor Member

Welcome to the board AR1750! Two lovely ladies indeed! Especially the 1750 after your awesome restoration!

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
http://giulia.hypermart.net/alfas

GTV-A

Lucky man
You lucky bugger!!....or rather brilliant work!!!
really excellent to have two such beauties!!

Paul.

NikosF

Great cars. Now all you need is a GTV to round off the collection

I'm curious how you find driving the two Spiders which are essentially the same car, but 16 years apart. Can you feel much of a difference. Which do you prefer (under which circumstances?)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reply to NikosF

Firstly let me say Thank you to all for your kind words.... they have absolutely made my day! Keep em coming ! !

To be honest, although they are both spiders..... they are completely different in the way they handle. The 1750 has as best as I can describe "GRUNT" Every time I shift the car almost seems to say "bring it on" It wants to go fast off the line, and wind out to High RPM's. The harder I push the car the more that little engine wants to give me. As for the rest of the mechanicals, The steering is much heavier, especially with the BWA wheels, and I think the shifting in the 1750 far exceeds in speed and comfort what I can do in my Quadrifolio. As with all old Alfa's the floors get HOT.... which is something that doesnt happen in my Quad, but I just open up the vents and turn on the blowers, and that usually keeps things comfortable .... Also all the layers of heat shielding I have under the mats doesnt hurt.

I like the room in the foot well much better in the 1750 than the Quad, there is just better pedal travel and my big size 13 feet dont feel so cramped. Plus the 1750 is a much lighter car, than my quad so it just feels like you are flying on air.

As for the Quadrifolio....... It has a very heavy solid ride that I appreciate with all those inconsiderate drivers on the road.... And of course when I am putting those Z4's in their place when they try to take me on a tight turn HA HA HA HA.

The Quad is nice but the engine lacks some of the same "Grunt" that the older car has. I think its mostly due in part to all that darn emissions crap holding my baby back, Oh well one day she will be a classic not needing emissions in my area.... and off will come the cat HA HA HA. The interior in the quad is more cramped to my taste, but I like the recarro seats much better, they just hold me in place when I make tight turn ins. Also the steering on the Quad is much lighter, easier to turn the wheel, But the car is more exacting on tight turns than the 1750. I can take say a 90 degree turn in the quad at well over 55 Mph .... if i am feeling dangerous..... I know that isnt a lot of speed but on some of these back roads where I live..... where condition is questionable that is very impressive HA HA HA..... But as for the 1750 it doesnt seem to want to hold the same, the back end gets much lighter, and lifts while the front lowers and toe's in. So as far as turns are concerned.... I think the Quad is much better, But as far as shifting, and engine response, The 1750 is my favorite. Basically the 1750 has immediate response when you hit the gas, it wants to go fast from the moment the clutch is released, But the Quad doesnt get the same "Grunt" until after is moving, which makes it a great highway driver.

So in summation, They are both wonderful cars, different in many many ways, But ever the same. They are almost like identical twins, They look the same, but under the hood, they are completely different.

Thanks Again for your questions Nick, Keep em coming! Ciao Ciao Alfisti's

AlfaRomeo1750 Aka.... Martin.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Martin,

Thanks for that well articulated description of the differences between the two ladies in your life. I drive an older Spider and have never driven a 1980+ Spider, but the differences you described are what I guess I was expecting.

Your cornering symptoms on the 1750 sound like they could be cured with a chassis stiffener. I belive the late 80s Spiders had a much stiffer body than the early ones. BUt you can add a square section under the body that's meant to improve the earlier ones. It's about $500. I'm tempted to get one for my '67 since it does feel a little loose on rough roads.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Love the BWA wheels and the chrome bumpers on the 1750 spider. My first Alfa was a 78, so it had those hiddeous add on big black bumpers. The car was black so it helped to camouflage them a bit, but the chrome on the earlier series of Kamm tail spiders is beautiful. Next, the Quadrifoglio, gotta love it!! The red carpet in those cars is PIMPIN' and the spoilers make it look MACHO!! Keep taking care of them and they'll take car of you. Give my regards to my fellow Greek and Alfisti, Alfa Taso. Yia sou patrida. Vale tin zone, kai rixe skone!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Martin,

Very nice cars!! I like the Quads, but still am
a sucker for a early 70's spider:D

One question for you, is the 1750 green?
If so, could you give me the color code?
I think it my be stamped either in the trunk
or under the hood?

I want to paint my 71 GTV green, and would
love to have a "Alfa" color that is period correct.

Thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
Way to go Martin; the cars look great. I have to mention that they look even better in real life:cool:

I can't believe you got Dick in that pic!LOL!

Gjimt, einai kalo paidi o filos mou ligaki hazos omos! Giasou.

Oh by the way, here's another pic of the British Green Spider:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reply to Kevin

I will take a look for you, but I do know the original color was called British Racing Green, Which was a common color among many european sports cars of the time. But I will take a look at the paint code for you, as I have all the original stickers in the car. Ciao Ciao..... Martin.

1987 Quadrifolio Spider
1971 Spider Veloce :D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reply to Alfa Taso

Hey Alfa Taso .....

Thank you so much for that beautiful photo of my 1750. You have a great eye for Alfa Photography!!!!! Talk with you soon my friend. Ciao Ciao....

Your friend.... Martin.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More Photos

Hey Alfisti's I was searching through my Alfa photos and came across a few proud moments in my Alfa history, so I thought I would share ..... Enjoy ...... Ciao Ciao

Martin

I call this one Oil Change day !!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sleeping....... Shhhhh

Awww ..... here they are sleeping..... All tucked into their beds, with visions of winding roads nesteled into their cylinder heads.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts