Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to change my oil for the first time on Saturday and everything went smoothly until I got to the oil filter.
I've read that there are BIG and SMALL oil filters both of which can be used on the 2L engine, so I wasn't surprised when I saw how much larger my new oil filter was compared to the one that was on the car. I replaced the oil filter with a new one (Bosch 3402) and completed the oil change.
I went to start the car and it fired up and the oil pressure warning light went on as I had expected, but then it stayed on. I looked under the hood and noticed oil rapidly escaping from the oil filter. I immediately shut the car off and then I noticed an enormous oil slick slowly moving down my driveway. I live in a part of L.A. with a lot of pedestrian traffic, so I had to clean this up before hundreds of people and their pets come walking past. After I cleaned up I spent the rest of the day and most of the evening trying to figure out how I could have chosen the wrong filter from reading the hundreds of posts on here about the subject. I've decided to summarize my findings from other posts. Here's what I discovered.

My Car
My Alfa mechanic put a Toyota Filter on my car. It was a blue filter made by Full and the three part numbers written on the side were: 900915-20004, 900915-03005, 90915-YZZB5
The only locally available filters that fit my 1973 2L are:
Purolator PL10241 = Purolator L10241 =Fram PH 3614 (yes, I know about Fram filters being an inferior product)

The locally available BIG filters most people use on 2L engines
Baldwin BT5 = Purolator L20020 = Fram PH7

The locally available SMALL filters most people use on 2L engines
Mobil M1-204 = Purolator L14670 = STP-S4967 = K&N HP2004 = Bosch 3402

The filter I unsuccessfully used on my car was the Bosch 3402. It was too large for my car even though it is of the size most people on here seem to use on their cars. I hope this helps someone.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
hello forza what is the word with fram oil filters is there a rumor that they are bad on nord engines? also the k&n hp 2400 filter fits the chrysler 300 so they should be easy to find. ciao Ben

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
FWIW, I think all that Fram business is bunk. Otherwise the roads would be littered with Fram damaged engines.

Ditto !

Have used them for almost 40 years , never lost a engine for one !!

·
Administrator
18,169 Posts
The filter I unsuccessfully used on my car was the Bosch 3402. It was too large for my car even though it is of the size most people on here seem to use on their cars. I hope this helps someone.
Was the sealing gasket on the Bosch filter present & in good shape? Did it thread onto the engine correctly?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
oil filter mess

Was the o-ring from the old filter still stuck to the engine when you installed the new filter on top of it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ghnl and 86spider, the sealing gasket on the Bosch filter was present and the o-ring form the old filter was completely off the engine. Both the Bosch and the correct (PL10241) threaded on correctly. The inner threads are the same diameter 3/4 (16). I can't understand why my car uses a completely different filter from most other people on here.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have had the big filter come lose on the freeway. big big time smoke. 8 lanes had to come to a stop. I only use the small type now. Just look up a 2001 Toyoda camery v6
I would say get a wix they seem to be a bit better. but I have used a ton of fram and pensoil filters when that is all I could get.
when I got the Verde it had a AR small filter on it and it crossed to the same filter that the 2001 camery has. The large one that popes up if I lookup alfa would need to have the motor lifted some to get in and out for the v6. so now I just get one filter for all the alfas and the camery

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,349 Posts
.. hey.. the 'prez' is coming by your house to kick your but:):):)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts