Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right after the storm and during power black out friend Bobb Rayner brought me his black 164S driven down from Philly area after the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel personnel cleared the wreckage of two semis blown over by 78 mph storm winds yesterday afternoon. He had to wait that out on bridge for couple hours.

We got power back after midnight and he slept in to almost noon. Anyhow I got to drive it to lunch today for show and tell with Fiat and Alfa buds.

Used insurance proceeds from Sara's 164B settlement to fund this purchase so sort of a replacement for Quik Silver 1.

Not sure if I will name it Black Beauty 2 or Old Nero 2 but both will fit.

Hope to start shakedown acceptance inspection in earnest this weekend.

Took him to Amtrak Station for his ride back to PA/NJ this afternoon after we did a stop at our new local Fiat 500 dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Congrats on the new S. It looks very nice. I keep my eyes peeled for another 164, but decent ones never surface around here.
Charles

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That photo of two matching Mafia staff cars sent a shiver down my spine. They both look impeccable paint-wise and I don't know how you'll decide which to drive!

I haven't driven an 'S' yet (called a Cloverleaf here), I have seen two but they are unusual here, especially in that condition. Think I'll be keeping my '3.0V6' for a while longer.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
Very pretty car. Glad you were able to pick it up. I couldn't look at the pictures of the 95LS being parted out, it evidently being the same color as my 94.

·
Premium Member
27,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It is Sad but sometimes it is just what it is!

Very pretty car. Glad you were able to pick it up. I couldn't look at the pictures of the 95LS being parted out, it evidently being the same color as my 94.
Well, at least that 95LS started off as a whole one even though it didn't run.

Old Nero the Donor had been already raped unmercifully by crazy U-Wrench-It clientele before I foolishly tried to save it from further destruction by buying it out of prostitution. Anyway, as I said earlier we can't save the world one Alfa at a time. Sometimes you just have to let go let God.

I think I can save Old Nero II this black 164S as it is a runner with a paper trail history back to 1997. Supposedly second owner was service manager at Algar. My long term friend Bobb (28 years) appears to be third owner with a car lot in between and he has had it for about 8 years. He got it at 104K and it now has 142K on it. He had a black 164B before that that another friend (Walter) of mine may still have now (he has a Black S too). We tend to keep these cars in the "family"

Overdue for timing belt as that is 38K and belt appears to have been last done at 104k based on repair orders from Algar as Bobb has not changed belt.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I think a black 164S is about as pretty as a touring sedan can be! Glad you got it. I vote for Black Beauty 2.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
yeah steve thats a

really nice looking stable there and the new car is sweet! Drive it with care and passion, and especially safety! Someday I'd like to retry a 12V S , its been so long since I;ve driven one (more than 10 years) I forgot how they compare to 24V

·
Registered
570 Posts
wooow weeee! Clean. Black is back!

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Black...My favorite!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yes, black is the color for the movies also!

Johnny Stecchino [ Johnny Toothpick], staring Roberto Benigni, features several black 164 sedans, all for the local mafia chiefs. Here is the scene in Palermo, Sicily where Nicoletta Braschi , makes a deal with the mafia chief, to settle some scores. Great film if you have not seen it.

All kidding aside , the car looks great. Good luck.
Maybe will see the new S, at the convention??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, black is the color for the movies also!

All kidding aside , the car looks great. Good luck.
Maybe will see the new S, at the convention??
Frank,

Maybe, maybe not. It does need some TLC to brake system, etc., and underneath and timing belt change and good look over. Plus needs top repainted and some other paint work to pass muster. I already have estimate from my bud who painted Sara's QS1 5 years ago (now demised due to her snow accident).

This was Bobb's aka Fiat Freak 164S. You remember him from Pocono Manor Lodge 25th FFO don't you. As I said earlier above we have been buds since 1984 FFO at Long Pond Raceway.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yes, I do remember him. He was sitting at your table,at the Pocono lodge. Great group . Can't wait till the next Fiat Freak Out is closer to CT.

Frank

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
A very nice S Steve.....congratulations.

From white to black and many colors in between you have certainly seen them all - except green - or did I miss one?

Plenty of green 164's left out there to add to your driveway......

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
27,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
A very nice S Steve.....congratulations.

From white to black and many colors in between you have certainly seen them all - except green - or did I miss one?

Plenty of green 164's left out there to add to your driveway......

Ta,

Neville.
Son David had a green 164L also from NJ like this one. Years after we fixed it up he sold it to a lady in NY who had had a green one years before, too.

It was almost like Jenny from the Forrest one you have. It had 11 bent valves, broken exhaust push rods and lifter. Gas tank was a disaster, etc....

We probably shouldn't have saved it as he got way less than what we spent to make it run again.

All for the love of the marque!

Del we were thinking of you.

OBTW this is what slowed Bobb down when bringing the 164S to me. Lucky for him (Bobb) the storm had passed before he got to bridge:

http://hamptonroads.com/node/601489 This guy one lucky mother trucker, too!

·
Premium Member
27,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nero II under body inspection partial results

RUST!

Cat 1 major gripes:

Cracked oil pan old epoxy repair leaking.

R/F strut spring broken and close to jumping off lower spring perch. front lower perches pretty rusty, bump stops now dust and rubber boots trashed front and rear.

Rusty brake and fuel lines accidents waiting to happen as I already knew. So those from my daughter's wrecked B model will go under to replace rusty stuff.

Center muffler rusted out. Just happened to anticapte that and got a good one from Leo off ebay couple weeks ago.

P/S cooling tube for fluid major rust, too.

Road salt has done a number under this car to bolt on parts, but I think body itself not to bad underneath.

I will probably replace front and rear brakes, struts, springs, rear cross member, etc along with brake and fuel lines.

Probably I will reinstall my good stock springs and struts back under my 164B and install the Konis and Eibach springs and sway bars under the S.

Looks like timing belt has about 38k on it so that will get done along with hoses and water pump just to zero time that stuff.

Engine oil cooler radiator and lines have been removed and bypass hose installed on thermostat housing.

Major 142k inspection and rework work order will be planned and estimated just like we did to the naval aircraft years ago.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
would like to see that!

the predicted repair estimate (labor hours and parts prices) and then lets see what the "actuals' are! My estimates typically run 15-25 % low on parts prices (if I have to buy em) -- not too bad -- my labor estimates typically 90% low!!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Steve,
nice going. Rob will be proud of you when you are finished for bringing back his baby. Yes, it is BBII. The photos are super. Long live the "S".

You know my "Gray Ghost L" had 140k on it too. When I decide to hang it all up, you still want mine too? Don gets the Quad you know!

CIAO ............ Jim

·
Premium Member
27,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Steve,
nice going. Rob will be proud of you when you are finished for bringing back his baby. Yes, it is BBII. The photos are super. Long live the "S".

You know my "Gray Ghost L" had 140k on it too. When I decide to hang it all up, you still want mine too? Don gets the Quad you know!

CIAO ............ Jim
You keep driving those cars as long as POSSIBLE BUT YES KEEP ME AND Don IN MIND.

·
Premium Member
27,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
BB2 aka Old Nero II 164S rehab pix

Well, interesting find today new style of fixed timing belt tensioner made from new style mechanical tensioner. Creativity of some people amazes me.

Also managed to remove R/F strut with broken spring but due to frozen then sheared of lower strut mounting bolt I had to remove axle, spindle and lower ball joint as an assembly and then work on getting strut off spindle.

PA and NJ winter driving has done a number on this cars suspension, etc.

Tomorrow I wiil remove the Koni and Eibach struts and springs set ups on my 164B. I will put stock Boge struts and Alfa springs set ups back under B.

S will get the K&E strut/spring combo during rehab.

Have a feeling this will be a big project removing the rusted stuff and rehabing with good parts.

Assembled good strut for show and tell. It will go under my B. I got it back from my daughter today so I can swap out struts on it tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 132 Posts