Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After many many (many) years of lusting after a GTV6 I finally bought one! I figured I would start a thread to introduce the car and track updates as I go.

A little backstory...

A few months before I bought this one, I bought a project GVT6 from a friend. Without telling my wife. It's a serious project, only 58k miles, but it had an engine fire so it needs a "little" work. I figured I already had most of the parts from a Milano I parted out, why not!

Then reality set in and I realized it would be at least a year before I drove it. And while I was trying to figure out what to do someone posted on Facebook that her husband was selling his GTV6 due to downsizing, but it was down in Palm Springs, CA. It looked good in the two photos she posted, so I figured out how to get a hold of her and started asking questions.

Charlie has owned this GTV6 for 30 years! He's the second owner and also a past President of one of the SoCal AROC chapters, and an active member. We used to chat with each other back when this was the Alfa Digest. He even mentioned that this very car was featured on the cover of European Car Magazine. I used to own that magazine!

IMG_20190812_140621.jpg

So Charlie told me a little about the car. It's been well maintained over the years. Recent tires, recent timing belt and water pump, the seats were recovered once, it's been painted twice (ah LA sun), and unfortunately the color was changed. But most importabtly it's a lifetime SoCal car and rust free The head gaskets were replaced at some point. All the fuel lines and fuel filter have been replace recently, which was important to me given my other recent purchase. Basically all good news. I asked him if it would make the drive from SoCal up to Portland, and he said "sure! I have done that drive before, and we just had it out for a club drive last weekend. It's running great!"

So I took a chance, mailed him a $500 non-refundable deposit to hold the car, and booked a flight down to Palm Springs the next week.

For once the car actually looked as nice as it did in the photos. It as painted recently, so the paint shined well and had been waxed recently. The seats showed minor wear, but not bad for a 20 year old recovering. And best of all it started right up and drove really well.

Here it is peeking out of the garage:

IMG_20190812_130045.jpg

So I handed him a cashier's check, threw my bag in the trunk and at about 2:00 PM I headed for Portland. Here I am heading out, proud new papa!

IMG_20190812_141411.jpg

Amazingly the AC works well in the car. But it was still 125 degrees (44 C for the rest of you normal people) in Palm Springs. So it was only about 90 in the car. But manageable with cool drinks and a breeze. I stopped for extra oil, drinks and snacks and made it as far as Buttonwillow the first night.

IMG_20190812_171556.jpg

I bought this goofy sunshade along the way to help keep the sun off me a little better. I have since peeled it off, but it did help:

IMG_20190812_210448.jpg

to be continued...

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first day I only made it as far as Buttonwillow. I was hoping to make it to Sacramento, but I had been up since 4 to catch my flight, and I realized that breaking down on I-5 in the middle of the night didn't sound fun. So I grabbed a hotel room to crash. Here's the GTV6 at the motel.

Day 2 I set out early to beat the heat, so I was up and on the road at sun up, and didn't even need the AC. I was enjoying the extra power while passing semi's on I-5 through the armpit of California, when suddenly the GTV6 bucked and stalled. At 65 MPH.

Uh oh.

I was able to get it started again, and it would take light throttle, but as soon as I got past about 1/4 throttle it would buck, then stall again. I was afraid the gas filter was clogged at first. But then I remembered that the rubber boots on L-jet cars like to split. So I pulled off at the next exit and checked it out.

It turns out the rubber boot was full of oil and pulling loose from the AFM under heavy throttle. I reattached it and tightened it up as best I could and headed out again.

30 minutes later it did it again. Crap. So I pulled off again, and checked the clamp. The clamp was unfortunately as tight as it would go, so I cleaned up more oil, wrapped the boot in tape (masking, not duct), then put the clamp back on. This seemed to work, but as I didn't want to repeat this every hour all the way home I decided to find a parts store and get a new clamp.

I found a Napa, picked up some extra oil, gloves and a big-*** clamp. I swapped out the clamp, and the rest of the trip was pretty unevetful.

Man that's a boring drive by yourself, at least south of Weed. Straight and flat. But the AC worked, the stereo worked, the engine sounded amazing, and the car ran great. Just like Charlie said.

Here I am, happy as, well, a new GTV6 owner!

Here's a truck that was burning something near the Oregon border:

A reminder just how small these are:

Finally home in Portland, in front of my man-cave, the GTV6's new home.

Overall the car is in excellent condition for one with 179k miles on it, proving once again that it's not mileage that matters, it's maintenance and condition.

The one thing it's going to need soon is a suspension refresh. I think most of the rubber bushings are original, and it has a few clunks when you hit bumps. Other than that it really doesn't need anything. Which I'm having a hard time getting used to.

I am also trying to control my urges to modify it. For now I plan to give it a really good detail, degrease the bottom and engine to look for leaks, and just enjoy it. But I already have dreams of a 3.0 swap, 15x7 wheels from the race Milano, lowering the front a touch, Koni red shocks, etc.

But I will add to this thread as I clean it up a little and fix the few minor issues I found.

Oh, here's the original color. I like it, Charlie didn't, which is why he painted it Alfa 509 Red. It's really red.

And a couple interior shots:

(I apologize if these photos are giant, I will try to shrink them if need be. Unfortunately my phone doesn't make it easy to select the resolution)

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Welcome to PDX with your new red GTV6. There aren't many here (mine gets lonely). I've NEVER seen one on the road. Congrats on your purchase and (mostly) great drive north.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome to the club. Looks like a great car and sound like a fun adventure bringing it home.

I remember that magazine cover! Was this the same GTV6 European Car used for their project series?

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to PDX with your new red GTV6. There aren't many here (mine gets lonely). I've NEVER seen one on the road. Congrats on your purchase and (mostly) great drive north.
Where in the Portland area are you? I'm in NE Portland, north of Irvington, south of Alberta. I'm trying to drive it as much as I can, at least when it's dry. I'd like to keep this one in good condition so it will live in the garage unlike my poor Berlina which has spent way too many nights outside.

I keep meaning to re-up my AROC membership, I should go do that now.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Hawthorne. Don't get caught in the rain like I did yesterday! Got suckered into driving the GTV6 by a sunbreak. Only the second time in 7 years I've had it that it has gotten wet. I drive it or my 69 Spider on pretty much every dry day, winter included.

Think I recall your Berlina listed on Craigslist a few years back? Remember someone selling one in NE PDX. Maybe not you.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hawthorne. Don't get caught in the rain like I did yesterday! Got suckered into driving the GTV6 by a sunbreak. Only the second time in 7 years I've had it that it has gotten wet. I drive it or my 69 Spider on pretty much every dry day, winter included.

Think I recall your Berlina listed on Craigslist a few years back? Remember someone selling one in NE PDX. Maybe not you.
I still have my 73 Berlina, the white one with flames. Per the spousal agreement I am supposed to sell it, but it needs a few projects finished first. And I'm honestly hoping she'll just eventually cave and let me keep it. It's probably only worth $5k, and I now have a second garage space where I can keep it.

I did sell a gold Berlina a few years back, as well as a red spider and recently a blue spider. We run a small used car dealership specializing in Subarus (not hard to sell in Portland right? I'm lazy) but needy old Alfas find me. I'd love another spider, but with two kids right it doesn't make sense right now. I'll get another one someday.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the club. Looks like a great car and sound like a fun adventure bringing it home.

I remember that magazine cover! Was this the same GTV6 European Car used for their project series?
No I don't think so. But I think Charlie knows that author, who's name is escaping me. He did a bunch of modifications to his. I loved reading along with that series, I think it's posted on the gtv6.org website? Anyway, this one is about as stock as they come, except for the repaints, right down to still wearing Pirelli tires.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Yep - it was the gold one I recall. I thought about it for about 10 mins...like we all do with any interesting Alfas for sale withing driving distance. ;-)

Flames - that sounds fun!

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yep - it was the gold one I recall. I thought about it for about 10 mins...like we all do with any interesting Alfas for sale withing driving distance. ;-)

Flames - that sounds fun!
It is. I can't drive it if I don't want attention. I'm the envy of every 12 year old boy, and many girls, in our neighborhood. My daughter wants it for her first car. LOL.

The gold one belonged to a friend who had an electrical problem with it and finally gave up on it. So it didn't run when I bought it. But once I got it running, man it was sweet. I wish I had kept that one, it really ran great. It had a former racecar engine in it, high compression pistons, hot cams, modified Wes Ingram pump. It popped up on BAT a few years after I sold it, the guy that bought it hardly drove it. I'm not sure why he bought it.

20141125_155950.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't suppose you want to tell us how much that cashier's check was made out for. (Thinking of selling mine.)
I don't mind. I paid $7500, plus about $500 to get it home. I think i got a screaming deal. A very similar GTV6 sold for $12k on BAT recently.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great story, I owned a 1986 GTV6, that I purchased new in North Hollywood. My dad and I bought 2 Alfa’s that day. He purchased a Milano .
Lowering the front end, makes a big difference in the handling. I also installed a bigger front anti sway bar. I welded in some reinforcement plates for the sway bar mounts. If your A/C works, you are ahead of the game. A 3.0 swap is what I always thought about as well. It would the GTV 6 that Alfa should have produced. Enjoy it and keep it.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great story, I owned a 1986 GTV6, that I purchased new in North Hollywood. My dad and I bought 2 Alfa’s that day. He purchased a Milano .
Lowering the front end, makes a big difference in the handling. I also installed a bigger front anti sway bar. I welded in some reinforcement plates for the sway bar mounts. If your A/C works, you are ahead of the game. A 3.0 swap is what I always thought about as well. It would the GTV 6 that Alfa should have produced. Enjoy it and keep it.
I do plan on lowering the front end, but I figure I should wait until I pull it all apart to replace the bushings and do it all at once. At least that's what I should do...

·
Registered
93 Posts
My GTV6 was 501 red, with black leather interior. I wish it had the tan leather instead. I only had the choice between my car and a White with black cloth interior at the time. They really wanted to make a two car deal for my Dad and I that day. They discounted my my car by over $4000 off sticker. One other neat modification, is to switch the bumpers for the lighter, and smaller Euro bumpers.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
We run a small used car dealership specializing in Subarus (not hard to sell in Portland right? I'm lazy) but needy old Alfas find me. I'd love another spider, but with two kids right it doesn't make sense right now. I'll get another one someday.
Nice GTV6 and a great road trip.

Let me know if you ever get a low mileage (under 100k), good condition 09-10 WRX hatch in.....
It’d be fun to road trip home and I have plenty of relatives to visit in Oregon.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice GTV6 and a great road trip.

Let me know if you ever get a low mileage (under 100k), good condition 09-10 WRX hatch in.....

It’d be fun to road trip home and I have plenty of relatives to visit in Oregon.
Thanks! I stay away from WRXs, >90% of the ones I see at auction are trashed. If I was buying one I would only buy it from the owner.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts