Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,
did you help me to check, if is possible say:Its correct "production car" or on this car are some parts changed? This will be 1300 ccm from 1/1969. What is not original? Big thanks, i start works on this car and i want know, what i keep and what must be changed.

Jerremiash

·
Registered
528 Posts
Congratulations.

Now, for a 1969 1300 there are a couple of non-original parts such as the entire interior, every panel on the body and probably all mechanical parts too.

This is a later 2000 GTV and it even says so on the dash. :)

Now, for a 2000 GTV it looks reasonably stock. It should have overriders on the bumpers, a serpent badge on the C-pillar and the steering wheel is not original. That should be a wood-rim Personal wheel although I quite like the one in your car. Possibly a period option? Passenger side interior doorhandle is not original and looks like a window winder from some later *** creation but you have the correct one on your driver's seat.

Pretty frilly in spots. Where did you get it from? I reckon it wasn't originally a Czech car.

EDET: Obviously the speakers aren't original either but where is the radio?

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Hi Jerremiash.
I agree w/ Kroehl, it is a 1972 or newer 2000. Here are a few more things to know:

1. The pedal assembly shown on the floor will not work in this car. You will need one with hanging pedals that mounts to the engine compartment firewall. The good news is that the hanging-type is pretty easy to find and it requires the less expensive master cylinders and a single, integrated booster.

2. The rear bumper is from an older GTV, it should have a more squared-off look like the front.

good luck with the project!

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you post a vin number from the fire-wall and engine number, half the BB will give you input as to when and where it came from etc. Looks like KM gauges and euro bumpers, so maybe a home or German market car?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi Jerremiash,

First of all, welcome to the AlfaBB!!

What is the chassis number on this car? It is stamped on the firewall (partition between the engine compartment and interior), right by the latch (lock) mechanism for the engine hood. There are so many things on this car that are not correct for the '69 GT1300Junior (that I am not even sure if the car is really a '69 1300Jr) so we would need the chassis number to tell you precisely what's correct and what's not.

Awaiting for your reply,

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Those are hanging peddles - they are just upside down. I wonder if Jerremiash meant that it has a 1300 jr motor in it which would make sense in countries with $$$ gas prices (I guess that's everyone these days...). Clearly it is a GTV2000 from 1972 onward. It actually looks pretty complete and in solid shape.

Jerremiash, you might want to send an email to Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo [[email protected]] with the VIN number. They will tell you exactly what it is, when it was made, where it was shipped and what the original colors were. The VIN is located on a metal tag on the driver's side "A" pillar. It is inside but you read it from the outside through the glass.

Good luck!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Not to get off topic but did they put the vin on the A pillar tag on all cars? I thought it was just a US DOT hoop they (and everyone else) had to jump through. When did they start? I was checking out a 68/69 GT I discovered by my house and it didn't have a visible VIN anywhere.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Wow! Posts #3, 4, and 5 all posted at 11:26AM:eek:

Those are hanging peddles - they are just upside down.
I am 100% sure that the pedal box seen in the picture is for the standing pedals, most likely from late 1968-early 1970 (standing pedals with hydrauric clutch), which is correct for the '69 Junior.

The VIN is located on a metal tag on the driver's side "A" pillar. It is inside but you read it from the outside through the glass.
The tag you are talking about is present only on the US models 69-on, so Jerremiash has to look at the stamped chassis number on the firewall.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Wow! Posts #3, 4, and 5 all posted at 11:26AM:eek:

The tag you are talking about is present only on the US models 69-on, so Jerremiash has to look at the stamped chassis number on the firewall.
Not to mention you answered my question as I was asking it!:eek:

It looks like there are slits for floor pedals in the rubber floor mat and it looks like a gasket windshield and no rear markers and odd front markers. Come to think of it, rubber floor mat would indicate Jr wouldn't it?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Matt,

I missed your post by a minute!! Yes, as I said in the post right after yours, the VIN tage is just for the US destined cars, starting 68 or 69 IIRC (well, there Alfa did not imports cars for M.Y. 1968). My mother has owned two '69 US model GTVs (AR1530053 and AR1531011) so far and both of them had the A-pillar VIN tag.

Not to get off topic but did they put the vin on the A pillar tag on all cars? I thought it was just a US DOT hoop they (and everyone else) had to jump through. When did they start? I was checking out a 68/69 GT I discovered by my house and it didn't have a visible VIN anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Rich: I don't mean to be argumentative, but we should be clear for Jerremiash's sake:

That brake pedal bracket shown above is not a hanging pedal bracket. It is a floor pedal bracket and it won't fit in this car. It needs to look like this:

EDIT: You guys are too fast for me!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Oh Matt!! We keep missing each other:eek::eek::eek:

Yes, I do see what seem to be slits for the B and C pedals and the rubber mat is indeed for the Juniors. The glued-in windshield (and the rear side markers too) is found only on the US model 1750/2000, and the "odd front markers" seems to be the correct ones for the step nose Giulia coupes.

Not to mention you answered my question as I was asking it!:eek:

It looks like there are slits for floor pedals in the rubber floor mat and it looks like a gasket windshield and no rear markers and odd front markers. Come to think of it, rubber floor mat would indicate Jr wouldn't it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW, short time, lot of answers:D

Many thanks for your info. Win code info from italy i have(i dont have here documentation):
Car: GT1300Junior
Color:pine green
Born: 15.1.1969- sold in italy 10.2.1969
Somebody change some parts, according me (maybe)rear lamps, dashboard and (ofcourse) steering wheel. But I check very seriously front part and its really original (no weldings inside etc.) I buy the car in Czech rep. but dhis is delivered from Holland.
And pedals are really on the bottom (brake cilinder, clutch cylinder are under car)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I find a WIN number:-D

AR 1231286
Car look in good condition, complette, but must be build again with new parts or refreshed parts. For me this is "numero uno" of the world design.
But with incorrect parts :( I only hope, somebody here say: OH YES, thats is typical italian assembly for specific customer :-D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Jerremiash,

Thank you for the info. Judging from the information you provided, the floowing items are not correct for the particular model:

• The seats (F & R), the interior door panels, the dashboard, and the center console (Juniors did not get center console until the Series 4 cars came out in 1973 or 1974).
  • Taillights
  • Wheels
  • Entire front section (engine hood, front panel, grill, headlights, turn signals and bumper)
These incorrect parts seem to be off of a 2000GTV.

You said that you did not find any sign of welding on the backside of the front panel but there is NO GT1300Junior produced with this nose prior to late 1970 (these smooth nosed Juniors are termed as Series 3, and have chassis number stating with AR126****). The front side markers seem to be the correct ones for the step-nosed cars so I assume that the front panel inluding the radiator support (together with the items I mentioned above) has been changed to the one from 2000GTV by a very skilled body mechanic.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Many thanks for your info. Win code info from italy i have(i dont have here documentation):
Car: GT1300Junior
Color:pine green
Born: 15.1.1969- sold in italy 10.2.1969
Somebody change some parts, according me (maybe)rear lamps, dashboard and (ofcourse) steering wheel. But I check very seriously front part and its really original (no weldings inside etc.) I buy the car in Czech rep. but dhis is delivered from Holland.
And pedals are really on the bottom (brake cilinder, clutch cylinder are under car)
Well, based on the above, your full interior has been swapped out with that of a 2000. So, the seats, dash, console, etc. are not right for a '69 Junior. Also, your grille, taillights, and front bumper are from a later car.

My advice is to get the car running and driving and don't worry about originality. It will be very expensive and time consuming to return the car to original specs.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Having looked through the pictures it sure does look like it was born with that nose, though as tiger says it couldn't have been. In any case, it looks like a fine starting point.

I have to agree that sticking with the existing trim is probably the best thing to do at this point.

Oh and, great color!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Easy to check, what is changed. I clean plates around vin and we will see, if its welded or not;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts