Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,002 Posts
body form a 1979 bmw 320i ......drive dog, from a 1974 vw bug,, had to trim about 10mm off the shaft to fit the alfa,, easy stuff.., the dizzy is a point type dizzy, but i have a electronic inset driving the spark,, my msd 6l box, would not work with the stock 1984 motronic system, so hade to build a new system.. yes it has a vacumumn advance on it. keeping it for gas mileage.. the dizzy has been re curved to work with my 1984 spider.. a bit more aggressive.. i looked at the 123 and asst. aftermarket system, and figgerd this might work the best.. but i had my dizzy guy give me 4 diff curves( springs and weights)so i can play around a bit..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,841 Posts
Looks nice, did you rebuild it too?

I had to laugh a little after looking at your .sig while thinking to myself "that must have taken some time!" :)

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, i rebuilt it.. kind of dirty, so i cleaned it with paint thinner.. then got some 1000 wet/dry paper, and polished it up..

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
I've been wondering if it's possible to rebuild one if they start to get sloppy. I have never really inspected one, I do know the weights wore out on an old Marelli I had and would throw the timing everywhere.

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
everything (well, almost everything!) is rebuildable, but a lot of internal parts for these (weights, springs, bearings etc) are no longer listed by Bosch, so you might have to do some machining especially if the shaft bearing has play (checking the dwell angle usually shows up play in the bearing)
Someone like Glenn in the states restores Bosch dizzys (mainly for VW/Porsche) but he does mention Alfa.
Rebuilt Bosch 383 / VJ4BR25 / 010 / VJ4BR8 / 019 / VJR4BR18 / 022 / VJU4BR8 / "Big Cap" 40hp Distributors

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Very cool. I still have a Marelli, but good to know the Bosch's can be rebuilt.

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spider4.... you can get all kinds of weights springs of bmw.mbz, volvo's vw , and thing with a bosch dizzy..you just got to think ' outside the box ':)

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
spider4.... you can get all kinds of weights springs of bmw.mbz, volvo's vw , and thing with a bosch dizzy..you just got to think ' outside the box ':)
good to know (especially as I am in Germany!!), and I do use the BMW/VW/MB/Opel forums here in searching for tips for others:)

I haven't any such "moveables" in my S4 dizzy so for now I dont need to worry.................:D but thanx!

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
some specs.. dynamic ignition timing ... degrees at crankshaft 25 btdc at rpm 2200 centrifugal control.at dgrees btdc 1000 = 3......1500 = 10....2000 = 19....2500 = 24....3000 = 28....4000 = 36......this is at static timing of 4 dgress btdc max per-igniton( without vacuum advance...degrees at crankshaft 39 +/- 3, this simlar to a bmw 1979 320 curve..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts