Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!
I just bought this car and did quite a lot of mechanical stuff to it. New timing belt/covers/water pump/4 koni’s/new underneath. I also did valve cover gasket. Once on the road, the car is an angry devil with the biggest heart known to man it seems. I also own a E28 M5. The Milano stands on its own! My question is that it burns oil. I have to put a quart every 700 miles it seems. Is that normal?? I mean she pulls and pulls! But should I be worried about her future?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Do you get a bunch of smoke on start up? Does consumption change with many small trip vs long trips? From the little I know i would agree withvalve seals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, nee some pictures! Sounds like your valve seals probably need changing. Does it blow any smoke?

Kevin
No. In the morning it will start and after a couple of minutes a little white smoke. Nothing major.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you get a bunch of smoke on start up? Does consumption change with many small trip vs long trips? From the little I know i would agree withvalve seals.
On start up it’s pure, no smoke in the beginning. After 2 minutes little white smoke.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
379 Posts
ALL ALFAS BURN OIL. That is the experience i have when i actually saw them doing so with 100000 miles. But i think a quart every 700 miles might be too much. I think the normal is every 1500 miles. I know i read it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
15,995 Posts
"But i think a quart every 700 miles might be too much"

Hah, that's not bad. Live with it, esp considering the number of miles you are likely to put on it in the coming years.

My 91 164S has always used a qt about every 400 miles or so for the 192k miles on it, decided to live with it rather than pull the engine and replace the bad rings. Never any smoke on startup or running. Carlo told me once years ago that Alfa told him that there was a bad batch of oil rings in some of the 91Ss, but alas he could get no recalls for that. Many think it is bad valve stem seals, but Carlo said not true for most cases, and that replacing the rings, which he did for a number of these cars, cured the problem completely.

Whereas, our LS and Milano use none whatsoever, having never had to top them up at all between changes, ~5 6k miles.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
379 Posts
speaking of oils, and oil changes. What are your maintenance on cars that run about 1000 miles a year? Change them every year or every other year? Seams too much of a waste every year for me. Just saying. I live in the Northeast region, very cold winters and very hot summers. i know that counts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I would think it depends on the type of driving a person generally does. If you regularly get your oil HOT, so it releases moisture etc then a longer calendar change may be warranted. Otherwise change it annually to get rid of that internal trapped moisture.

·
Premium Member
15,995 Posts
I've never had any problems with any of my Alfas, changing the oil maybe every 5-6-7k miles or every few years in between, even with the cars we've put on many thousands of miles through the decades. Oil pressures in the cars have always stayed high at ~25 psi hot idle, ~50 psi hot at ~3500 rpm cruise, and no apparent degradation of anything connected with lubing which could affect the running of the engines. Put 260k miles on the Sprint GT, 180k miles on our 78 Alfetta sedan, 193k miles so far on the 91 164S, 118k miles so far on the 94 164LS, 100k miles so far on the Milano. All run fine (or ran fine when we sold the earlier cars).

I do plan on changing the oil and filters in them maybe this year, if I get around to it. Lol, with the 91S using so much oil, I often don't bother to change the oil in it for quite a while between, just the filter.

My personal feeling is that many overdo the oil changing, esp with modern lubricants. I think changing the filter is perhaps more important. However, it's just money to change the oil whenever one wants, depending on how one feels about the effects of their style of driving, and the local seasonal weather. So no big deal at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts