Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off the tbelt covers to have a look and it was near tragedy. The belt is cracked and splitting. The P/O said the tbelt was never done while he owned the car. He said something like I thought it was to be done at 90k! He bought in 2000 with 40k and I bought it on Monday with 80k. It was about a done deal. Thanks to the Alfa gods so far. I tore it down in about an hour or so. Not to bad really. Better then most import fwd v6's.

Now its time for a new tbelt wpump etc. I will have to call Alfissimo and have the parts shipped out asap.

I will keep you up dated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
That's scary!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should see how I was driving it 100+ mph for over 20 to 30 miles! I am lucky. The tbelt is made good I will have to see if I can read the brand?

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
WOW! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:,
You lucky, LUCKY, man!
The PO was as well, for selling it, before she snapped!
Charles

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The 24V seems to put a lot of stress on the T-belt. The tension on the belt seems to be higher too. There were cracks on the T-belt that I replaced and AFAIK the belt has probably 20K miles on it. I would use a 30K miles change schedule for the 24V T-belt and at least inspect the timing belt area (with belt cover off) say once a year.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Nice work, looks like you caught it just in time!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would make sure you add idler bearings and perhaps a tensioner to your list.

Check cam seals for leaks while you are in there too...

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
I took off the tbelt covers to have a look and it was near tragedy. The belt is cracked and splitting. The P/O said the tbelt was never done while he owned the car. He said something like I thought it was to be done at 90k! He bought in 2000 with 40k and I bought it on Monday with 80k. It was about a done deal. Thanks to the Alfa gods so far. I tore it down in about an hour or so. Not to bad really. Better then most import fwd v6's.

Now its time for a new tbelt wpump etc. I will have to call Alfissimo and have the parts shipped out asap.

I will keep you up dated.
Easily another 30K out of the belt. :p

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You drive your 12 valve.:confused:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Some people are truly blessed! :D

Lets see, that belt at 100 mph...wow, that engine might have been a grenade!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Last time I checked the 12 valves also use a timing belt in addition to a very unreliable tensioner...

·
Registered
503 Posts
OK, so that impacts a portion of the disaster recovery charges...

However, the maintenance interval is not changed with a 24V. Also, the 12V (in my opinion) has a higher crashed valve occurance rate...

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
OK, so that impacts a portion of the disaster recovery charges...

However, the maintenance interval is not changed with a 24V. Also, the 12V (in my opinion) has a higher crashed valve occurance rate...
yes it isssss! 12v should be good to go about 50 - 60k for T belt change. Water pump should be good for about 80 -90k. 24v is 30k at least! Tensioners seem fine to me. My engine emploded a while ago, but tensioner still kept timing right on.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Nah, disagree completely. You bear the same risks with either car if you exceed the 30K mile service interval on timing belt changes. Water pump should be changed out every 60K on either 24V or 12V.

Why would you suggest that the 12V can go on longer service intervals than the 24V? I don't see any sensibility to that argument. I agree that more things can fail in the 24V set-up, but the bearings are the weak link on both along with the tensioner on the 12V (at least the mechanical one).

One thing is for sure, the t-belt service (if done right) requires much more $ in parts on a 24V... Labor is more too, but comes free for me ;)

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
That's okay. We live in a country where we can actually do that! :)

Okay, look at this 24v engine:

Look at the routing of the belt versus the routing of the belt of a 12v engine. The belt on the 24v engine will endure more stress than that of the 12v. That is why you hear more about a 24v skipping teeth or worse.

I do not change sooner than 30k. I usually get 40 - 50k out of an Alfa OEM timing belt as that is what their life expectancy is (~60k). I replace the tensioner every time, but usually leave the water pump for longer.

As far as 12v mechanical tensioner, I have had very good luck with them, so I don't think they are a weak point. If adjusted or set improperly, you could get into some trouble. IMO, the hydraulic one could be more problematic if it starts leaking into the timing belt area.

That's the other thing about the parts. For a 12v, it costs about $100 for the tensioner, $30 for the belt, and $80 for the pump, ~$20 for all the gaskets...

Lenard, sorry to hijack your thread.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The p/o got 80k+ out of this belt.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
If anything, Lenard's new car is an example of the durability of the 24-valve cambelt drive design.

80,000 miles? Like, wow man.

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
Looking at the end view of the 24v, it is obvious that for reducing the chances of teeth jumping, the center idler above the thermostat housing should have larger in dia so more teeth on the intake cam pulleys would be engaged. The belt also should have gone around the other (right) side of the toothed pulley below the rear exhaust cam pulley, not the left side. Would have reversed the drive direction of that toothed pulley, but that's probably no big deal. Wonder why they did that.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts