Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new 2000 GT Veloce

About a month ago i bought my 2000GTV seen in the pictures below. I am doing my national service in the Hellenic Air Force since mid-November and before Christmass i was waiting for the bus to go home. Suddenly my view fell on a Giulia Coupe parked on a road just a few metres away of me. Without losing time i started up searching for the owner of the car. I got into the bar next to the place where the car was parked and i asked the bar owner about the car. Fortunately he was aware of the owner of the Giulia! He told me: "Get into the cafe out there. I am sure that he is inside now". I ran fast to the cafe and for my luck i found him! All these were taking place while i was in a hurry to catch the bus but who cares for the bus anymore... While discussing with him i saw that he was interested in selling her. Later i found out the he was not the actual owner of the car but the owner had hired it to him for one year!!! The owner told me: "I changed my mind! If you could see the car prior hiring it to him you would be amazed. The car was in nearly perfect shape. He nearly destroyed it".
However the car is in very good shape for her age and i am very happy that i found an original 2000GTV in such a good condition. 2000GTVs are rare here in Greece so you can understand me now!
I hope you like my car and i also hope that i will find some time to start restoring her!

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2 drawbacks. Thw owner has changed the original 2liter engine with a 1570cc engine and the original dashboard of the 2000GTV with that of the 1750GT Veloce...
The engine is working fine after a rough adjustment to the Dellortos... The interior is not bad!

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi, TZ. I found it. Me geia & kala xiliometra. Really good car. I'll make some phone calls to friends at the club and see what I can do to locate a GTV2000 dashboard or why not, even a 0512 engine!!!

Ciao

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GTA Stradale said:
It would be pitty not to restore :)

Do you plan to restore it to original 2000 specs or something else?

Cheers
Of course she will be restored, don't worry! ;)
Yes, i plan to restore her to the original 2000 specs and only!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nino1969 said:
Hi, TZ. I found it. Me geia & kala xiliometra. Really good car. I'll make some phone calls to friends at the club and see what I can do to locate a GTV2000 dashboard or why not, even a 0512 engine!!!

Ciao
Hi nino! Thank you very very much!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thats a nice car... and can easily be a fantastic car... wish you all the best with her but I think shes a good one, shes got that "look" .

I like her anyways.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are a few pictures from the front and rear right suspensions after i removed the wheels to repair the tires.

Front suspension

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the picture below you can look at the engine number of my Alfa.
AR00526/A*SH737

Looking at the book of Maurizio Tabucchi: "Guide to the identification of Alfa Romeo cars", i found out that my engine has not been made prior of 1974 as the first car to have an engine with the type AR000526/A*SXXX is the Giulia Nuova Super of 1974. But also in 1974 the same type of engine but producing 109Hp instead of 102hp was put into the GT 1600 Junior. This book does not contain any info adequate to identify exactly my engine and unfortunately Fusi cannot help me as he stops at 1972. Is there any other way to identify it? Thanks in advance!

PS: Another matter that confuses me is that my engine is AR00526/A*SXXX and the Tabbuchi's book say that the engine fitted to the Nuova Super is a 00526A*S i.e. without the symbol "/". Ont he other hand Tabucchi say that the engines fitted to the Giulia Supers were AR00525/A but without any of the symbols "*" or "/".

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
All I've able to come up with is that the 'S' in the serial number, which first appeared in early 1973, designates a non-polluting engine. These engines, exported to Sweden, Germany, France and Japan, differed from the standard engines in cam and ignition timing and the installation of 'emcon' (emission control?) carbs. The earliest reference to an 00526/A engine (with or without the slash, I don't think it makes a difference) I found is in an early 1974 document so this would seem to confirm Tabucchi's 1974 model year listing of first production (which says nothing of the build date). Sorry, but I can't get any closer than that with the documents I have.
Also found was a listing that the GT 1600 Jrs (115.03 & 115.05) were fitted with 00536 engines, not the 00526/A which probably accounts for the horsepower difference.
Question. Does the cylinder head have the letter 'A' on the front? All 00526 engines with an 'S' in the engine number should have an 'A' on the head.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi Jim! Thanks again for your feedback!
Actually Tabucchi claims that 00526/A engines first appeared in 1969 for the Giulia Supers something that seems to agree with Fusi. It's the 00526A*S engine that appeared in 1974 and fitted to the Nuova Super 1.6. You are right that the 00536 engines were fitted to the GT 1600 Juniors (and Spider 1600 Juniors) but this applies only for the 1972 models (115.03). The GT 1600 Junior of 1974 (115.34) were instead fitted with 00526A*S engines producing 109 hp while the Nuova Supers (105.26S) of the same year were fitted with the same type of engine but produced 102 hp.
Also my carbs (Dellorto DHLA 40) are not the emmision controlled ones because:
1) They have not an emmision status. They are DHLA 40 and not DHLA 40F, 40G, 40H, 40L or 40N,
2) They have three small progression holes instead of five large holes.

This of course does not mean that these carburetors or this type of carburetors were there when the engine was new.

The cylinder head has indeed the letter "a" on it (not capital and from the Greek alphabet) inside a circle.

·
Super Moderator
3,524 Posts
1600 De-Luxe

Hi TZ

Nice car !!

Interesting engine mumber, I have a very original GT 1600 De-Luxe Junior, (1600 in a 2000 GTV Body), with the engine number 00526/A*SH 186.

The body designation on my car is 11505. In South Africa, we had a run of Giulia Rallye's, where the running gear from a Giulia 1600 was swapped with a 2000 GTV, hence the 00526 motor in my 1600.

My car resembles a 2000 in all body aspect, except for over riders & pillar badges.

Regards
Greig

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts