Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't even really mind the side markers on a Berlina, but PLEAAAAAAAAASE take off the rubber stripping and the striping!
please please please...

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
ya know, I usually don't like stripes but with the plain sides of the Berlina I think it works for me. The rub strip - not much I can do about it until I get serious about repainting it.

Maybe it's me but I really don't notice either that much. OTAH, put a rub strip on the blood gutter of a Spider and I want to throw up...

·
Registered
268 Posts
isn't the rub strip glued? Maybe you can get your wife's hairdryer, when she's out for groceries or something, and carefully loosen up the rubber, and take it off? then polish... Don't use a paint stripper!

·
Registered
178 Posts
U.S. Spec taillight covers

awesome car. But changing it back to Spica???
the Marelli was standard here on later Alfa's, like the 116 series. For your rear axle, what colour paint is on the nut behind the propshaft coupling? I'll bet light green!
wich would be 10/43.
The marelli: put it back in, MUCH better than points!
Man, I'd LOVE a set of US spec taillight covers!
Hows about these then???
CABOCHONS ARRIERE POUR ALFA ROMEO 2000 berlina on eBay, also, Autos Italiennes Pièces, Voiture Ancienne Pièces, Auto Pièces et équipement (end time 09-Dec-07 18:26:41 GMT) :D

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,938 Posts
wowwwwzaaaaaaaaaaaaa, that looks great!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have a rubbing strip like that to remove from my S1 Alfetta sedan. It is glued, and I think the majority of them are as they were designed to be DIY items.

Horrible things if you ask me... Alfas of the period were designed with such delicacy that it seems to be a shame to add uneccesary odds and ends to them.

Just think, how many cars got away without any rubber on the body? Not many. Viva Bertone, viva Alfa!!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Roger:

Are you saying you installed those rub strips? Are they glued or screwed?

- Rich
I reinstalled them. I've had a bunch of Berlina's and most of them sold here on the west coast had this type of trim installed as a dealer option. I have seen them screwed on with tiny screws, I used rivets. Here is a link for one supplier. Body Side Molding, Truck Molding, Car Molding, Vinyl Trim

Some folks don't like the look, on the slab side Berlina, I think it is a nice period enhancement.

BTW - the car pictured had the red sport springs front and rear, gas shocks w/ 195/65/14 tires on the stock rims,

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Well we had a pretty productive day today. We were able to replace all the rear end bushings except the trunnion bushings as well as the shocks. I was surprised at how bad the bushings were. The conical bushings for the rear trunnion support were completely missing, the rear trailing arm bushings were collapsed (the forward bushings actually weren't too bad but we replaced them anyway), and the sway bar bushings were spun and useless. Because the rear tires were rubbing and the back seemed to be sagging I was going to replace the springs with ones I pulled from a parts GTV but it turned out they were broken. Instead I installed a set of yellow Koni's and along with the renewed bushings the back is now sitting correctly. Actually, the car wasn't sagging so much as the rearend was sliding laterally. Not no more.

What I thought was worn universal joints turned out to be the slop in the bushings. The vibration turned out to be imbalanced wheels. They will be dealt with tomorrow.

Totally unrelated question: Is there a dimmer for the dash lights? Mine are very dim and nearly unreadable at night. Since it is all gauges, I think it is not likely to be bulbs. Perhaps a weak ground?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I don't remember if there is a dimmer on the '71, if there is, it is only for the auxillarly guages and switches, not the main gauges. My guess is it is the bulbs. They are probably both worn and dirty which limits the light. I'd replace all the bulbs, keep in mind these old ALFA's are notorious for dim guages. From a ground perspective the main battery to body and engine to body grounds should be checked/replaced. A big battery and strong charging system also help. The main grounds for the dash I believe end up on the post on the left side mounting for the dash itself. Glad to hear your progress

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks roger - I just didn't want to tear into things only to find a hidden knob was turned down...

Love the '71 - how could you get ride of it? I really don't have a problem with the rub strips - yours or mine. When the car goies to paint (next year sometime) I will obviously take them off and then decide if I'm going to replace them.

BTW, the body colored wheel isn't a factory finish is it?

·
Premium Member
22,956 Posts
Virtually ever 2000 Berlina I've owned (and it's fair number; most Calif cars) has had the rub strips along the sides. All mine have been held on by small pop rivets. The installation varies from car to car in terms of height and length, though they're close.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Don't you think they were dealer applied? If it came from the factory I would expect that the panels would be pre-drilled. Also, I doubt pop-rivets would be used at the factory - I can't think of anything else that I've seen that came pop-riveted.

So where does one go for rust repair panels? Rockers & quarters primarily.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
So where does one go for rust repair panels? Rockers & quarters primarily.
I sent some rusty Berlina panels to Alan at Wolf Steel a while back for him to use as patterns. I was pleased with the front lower fender piece that he sent me. Although I didn't need them for myself, I sent him a rocker and rear quarter in hopes that he would make some up to resurrect some marginal Berlinas. I don't think he's done it yet since they aren't on his website but you might want to enquire. If it doesn't seem likely that he's going to get to it, I have a set of aftermarket panels (those Belgium ones that are NLA for the Berlina) that I'm not willing to sell but could be used as patterns.

·
Premium Member
22,956 Posts
Oh, definitely, either distributor or dealer installed; that's why they're all so different; they're ad hoc. I've even had one car with two parallel sets of rub strips a few inches apart. See pic.

Not to mess with Alfa's/Bertone's design, but I agree Berlinas look kinda slab-sided and heavy without them. Though I wouldn't put them on a car that didn't already have them.

Bizarrely, my current Berlina doesn't have rub strips. But it has patina to make up for their lack, to break up the slabbiness. See pic.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well we had a pretty productive day today. We were able to replace all the rear end bushings except the trunnion bushings as well as the shocks. I was surprised at how bad the bushings were. The conical bushings for the rear trunnion support were completely missing, the rear trailing arm bushings were collapsed (the forward bushings actually weren't too bad but we replaced them anyway), and the sway bar bushings were spun and useless. Because the rear tires were rubbing and the back seemed to be sagging I was going to replace the springs with ones I pulled from a parts GTV but it turned out they were broken. Instead I installed a set of yellow Koni's and along with the renewed bushings the back is now sitting correctly. Actually, the car wasn't sagging so much as the rearend was sliding laterally. Not no more.

What I thought was worn universal joints turned out to be the slop in the bushings. The vibration turned out to be imbalanced wheels. They will be dealt with tomorrow.

Totally unrelated question: Is there a dimmer for the dash lights? Mine are very dim and nearly unreadable at night. Since it is all gauges, I think it is not likely to be bulbs. Perhaps a weak ground?

Not sure about your model as the dash is different on my '72 2000 but just for the record there's a button on the dash next to the steering column cowl which has an in and an out position, one is dim and the other is well, not so dim, its original factory fit, but may not have been on the earlier cars.
The button I'm waffling on about is to the right of the red HRW switch in the picture below.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 96 Posts