Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought it last week and picked it up today for $500. German or Austrian import 1970 1750 Berlina and the rear still has the remnants of the oval Austria country sticker. Last Georgia inspection sticker was 1976 (1982 was the last year of Georgia inspections). Previous owner bought it in the late 80’s or 90’s from a tow yard with the head in the trunk and a smashed bumper; he sold the original engine and carbs.
Currently has a SPICA 2.0l mounted with possibly reground cams. Got a SPICA 1750 with it for extra which will be rebuilt and reinstalled at some point. I will be converting the 2.0l back to carbs to get it running again. Shows around 83k kilometers which is about 50k miles. Has some dents and rust, doors are in pretty good shape (minimal rust as far as Berlina doors go) no filler anywhere the paint that’s left is the factory paint so no hidden secrets.
Currently has a tan interior from a 2.0l Berlina. Originally had a black interior.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its either had or it has rust no such thing as a rust free Alfa.
The first photo is the drivers rocker and is the worst of it so far some small holes in both rocker panels
Some perforation in the wheel arches still all (rusty) metal.
084E05EF-38C0-4BEB-9019-592A50ADB362.jpeg

·
Premium Member
22,808 Posts
That's the standard German market VIN plate, so maybe went there first, then to Austria?
Great find, congrats.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
On the second photo where the car sits on the ground with its crooked bumper, the steel rims look a lot deeper than standard. The only time I saw such widened rims in person was on a Gt Junior imported from Austria. Must have been a fashion out there...

·
Premium Member
22,808 Posts
I only just realized it's got Spica. The VIN is a non-US number so it must have picked up Spica along the way somewhere.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1973 Alfa Romeo Berlina 2000
31 Posts
Thanks for sharing all the pics! Looks like a fun project and the right starting price as well!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I only just realized it's got Spica. The VIN is a non-US number so it must have picked up Spica along the way somewhere.
Andrew
He only got as far as mounting the engine, fuel system was never plumbed for SPICA no wiring hooked back up. I bought it from the owner listed in the Berlina register.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the valve cover off has a 10548 on the intake and a 60516605 on the exhaust which is a 90’s production 1052 SPICA cam. Will need to buy jets as the 151’s that are going on it have the factory jetting.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the outside washed and vacuumed the carpets of all the rat droppings. Will have to take the seats out and replace the carpet that goes under the front seats and wash the resf. I have one NOS section of carpet that goes under the seat, looking for another section.

Here’s a pic right after we got it off it’s old trailer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice find and pretty hard to beat the price. As the owner of another European-delivered (Sweden) 1970 1750 Berlina, I'm a bit biased, but they really are such great cars. Good luck getting it back on the road!

·
Premium Member
22,808 Posts
Just looked it up in the register; Hans Milo's old car? He was a force-of-nature type person, the few times I talked to him.
Andrew

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just looked it up in the register; Hans Milo's old car? He was a force-of-nature type person, the few times I talked to him.
Andrew
Yep I bought it from Hans and that definitely sounds like him. He’s in his 80’s now and hasn’t worked on Alfa’s for a long time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Disassembled the calipers and started to clean them. Had to find another set of rear calipers as trying to get the pistons out was going nowhere. Going to reassemble using Akron rebuild kits and see how well they work.
Got a new ATE master cylinder and cleaned all the dirt out of the original bottle now ready to install. Will also now have to replace the front section of hard brake line for the rear brakes.

Got a set of factory rotors off a S4 Spider that had 10k miles to be installed on the Berlina. Might keep the left hand wheel studs on the left side.

·
Premium Member
22,808 Posts
Digging right in, excellent. One thing. LH studs are short. If you want to run other than steel wheels they may not be long enough. Unless you have a source of longer LH thread ones. It had Turbinas on it, right? How many threads were engaged on the left?
Andrew

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Digging right in, excellent. One thing. LH studs are short. If you want to run other than steel wheels they may not be long enough. Unless you have a source of longer LH thread ones. It had Turbinas on it, right? How many threads were engaged on the left?
Andrew
There wasn’t much about 1/2-3/4 of the threads engaged. The other side didn’t have longer studs installed either. But I am going back to steel wheels with hub caps.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts