Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the saga continues. Some of you may have read 1978 Alfa spider turbo, that is my dad's car, and I aquired a 73 GTV turbo that he built back in 1980. I've always wanted a GTV and when the car was for sale I jumped on it. What a car! It has a full Shankle suspension system, big brakes and style. I have some plans for the car and I will keep this tread going. As for my dad's spider turbo, the machines cut the cylinder bores wrongs and it broke two rings. I is now out of the car and we are hoping to have the car running next month. Stayed tuned.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
WOW! How much quicker is it than a normal Spica car? Have you driven one with a normal setup?

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Car and wheels looking good.:cool:

In the day, I had my 1979 Alfetta Sports Sedan turboed with a kit from England.

This was blowing thought two twin choke Delortos--as in the Lotus Turbo.

Worked much better when an FMIC was fabricated and installed.

Keith Magnusen at Ralli Round had a GTV with the Jafco exhaust header and blowing through the Spica it was much faster at Seattle International Raceway than mine was. That thing would come up the long straight like :eek:.

Have fun.

:cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
I have a 75 Fetta with 48mm Weber and G.O.K. what's in the motor, but it's the scarest car I've ever driven, can't imagine any added accessories like a Turbo or Super Charger.
Must be Quick but just want to know how much. I'd rather copy what I got or option for the alter, cause I prefer the 4 over the 6 (HATE that BELT) and at this point. My 4 is faster than the 2 6's as far as I'm concerned. I have 3 and a 2.5.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dad built this car back in the 80's and some of the stuff is dated. I am putting most of his turbo parts from his spider on my car. He took the parts off for the new EFI set up and modern turbo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sweet ride! It looks like a standard Jafo kit. That's encouraging as I'm dialing
in something similar. Are you using stock waste gate settings for boost pressure. I'm using 5psi for now and its better than what I was expecting.
I've surprised a few cars. I wouldn't mind a water cooled turbo thou.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
That is quite a tidy factory looking installation, and could be brought up to date with programmable management and electronic injectors adapted to the spica manifold, fitment of a modern watercooled ball bearing turbo, and intercooling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I love the car. The waste gate is stock. Very shortly I will be changing it to a electronically controlled set up. Water cooled turbos are the way to go. The turbo doesn't fit. The way the exhaust housings are made now will interfere with the frame. My dad's car, 1978 Alfa Turbo Spider, has electronic injection and a modern turbo. We are hoping for 350 whp on it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the info. When I bought my kit it came with a recently rebuilt turbo
so I'm going to stick with it for now. I'm going to use Megajolt or Megasquirt spark side only to control my ignition and i will use that to control boost.
How bad is the turbo/frame contact? Also is your Jafco manifold a two piece
or single piece? Meaning is there a thick plate that goes between the turbo and
manifold that holds the waste gate. That might make a difference. Have you had it on a dyno yet? I'm going in a month or two.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a single piece manifold. I'm not sure how bad the frame contact is, my dad tried it and said it wouldn't fit. No dyno yet, I need to put an intercooler in first.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nice looking car. I am building my first gtv right now. Going with the naturally aspirated route though; TS.

You should check out the engine conversion section though. This thread would do great there.

Best of luck.

Miguel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts