Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've been having this problem since I first bought my car. Maybe someone can give me some advise.

I own a '73 GTV, bought it 3 months ago in Santa Rosa, while driving back down to L.A. (thought I was the coolest guy on the 5 with the windows down with no wind blowing in, its like the alfa is the wind, anyways back to my problem) I realized everytime I hit 70mph and featured off the trottle to cruise 70, my front end starts to rumble kinda seems like the car gets speed wobbles. But after I Accelerate it goes away. First thing that hit my head was "probably the tires not balanced" no biggie. 3 weeks later got some lovly Panasports, and it hit me! Lets do 70! Same problem :mad: . 2 weeks later, now doing it at 62mph and 65mph it's so freakin accurate!!! Whats the deal!?!?

Started dabbling around the net, nada! Went to Pops, "hey dad, you think my transmisson mount might be bad?" "maybe" (no help)

So, anyone have/had this problem or know what it is, its nothing in the rear. It feels like its lurking in the front.

Help?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you notice the rumble/shake when you let off the gas or at a steady speed, but it goes away while accelerating, I'd bet you have some bushings or ball joints that are shot. While you're accelerating the weight is shifting to the rear, then when you let off the gas the weight transfers forward and all the angles change a little.

Check the upper a-arm assembly mounts first, as these are more likely to contribute to wobbles. Front end parts are easy to replace and relatively cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Again, VeloceWest! Yeah all of my ball joints are shot, i didn't think anything of them just to replace them, but how you said "While you're accelerating the weight is shifting to the rear, then when you let off the gas the weight transfers forward and all the angles change a little." now that makes sense.

Thanks a whole lot!!!

·
Registered
992 Posts
RE: GTV shakes

Sounds like you need your wheels balanced or you have a wheel that is dented/out of the round.

Shaking at 70 or so then being able to drive out of it is a classic symptom of a tire out of balance condition. My Milano does the same thing at about 77 - 80 mph. I have just been to lazy to have the tires rebalanced.

If you could not drive out of it then it would probably be the driveshaft.

Good luck!

P.S. Could also be ball joints or tie rods but those generally cause slopping steering as well.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info magista.

I had this problem with my old wheels. Now with my new panasports its doing the same thing at these speeds. But i think VeloceWest was right, it's the ball joints.
When my car is raised, I grabbed the tire and pushed in and out, feels like the lug nuts are loose. When I look at my Ball Joints and push on the tire, the ball joints are the problem. They shift around.

I think replacing them will fix my problems. If its not the problem I still need new ones, the ball joints are worked!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts