Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some 10 years after I started restoring my '74 105 GTV 2000, and after two years of bodywork (part time of course) I finally painted the car last weekend. I am very excited! Now the fun part starts. I love reassembly. The last picture shows the first part fitted to the bodyshell.

For those who are interested, I painted the car in original Alfa Romeo AR 727 Grigio Chiaro metallic formula. The paint I used was from Spies Hecker- a very high quality 2k paint, amongst the best available for auto paint. The basecoat mixture was spot on, and the Spies clear goes on like glass. I painted the car in a friends spray booth/oven, and the finish was baked at 60C. It is now rock hard and very glossy. I would love to take full credit for the paint, but really it was the quality of the paint and the very expensive SATA gun I used that makes the difference.

I have posted various bits and pieces on this project in the past, but if anyone would like me to post more I will be happy to do so. Engine, gearbox, suspension, diff etc have all been already rebuilt and highly detailed, so it is now just a matter of bolting it all together. So, let me know what you think.

Axeman74

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I second the other two opinions. As for further pictures, just continue with this thread as you make progress.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
....Ohhhhh....that is really nice Axeman....congrats on the superb effort. I see that the doors and hood were painted off the body....is this a better way or just personal preference?

·
Administrator
12,966 Posts
:eek::eek::eek:

Jealous does not even come close! :)
Pete

·
Registered
71 Posts
Axeman,

That is indeed a thing of beauty. Its just become my desktop image.

I just put up a post last night on the picture gallery forum asking for pictures of silver stepnoses as Im contemplating doing mine in silver so your posting is particularly intersting to me. Im suprised how rare they seem to be in silver as it is, in my opinion, the most flattering of all the colours. Ill be keeping my eyes glued to this thread.

Looks fantastic.

Keep the photos coming.

Timbo

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Wow that looks good. Yes the paint quality and the quality of the spray gun do make a huge difference. The money spent on both comes back when its time to do the wet sanding and final buffing of the paint. Sata makes the best spray guns. I was lucky enough to learn how to paint with one. They are second to none. I can't wait to see the fully assembled finished product. It will be award winning for sure.

Will

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you have pics from when you firsts started the restoration? that colour really highlights the body lines beautifully.
Bill

·
Registered
73 Posts
There needs to be an "over 18" section of the forum for "nude" shots like that I think.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you have pics from when you firsts started the restoration? that colour really highlights the body lines beautifully.
Bill
Thanks, when I started this restoration digital cameras did not exist (I am serious), so the only pics I have are on paper. I will see if I can scan those pics, but I think the quality will probably be rubbish. I will try in any case.

Axeman74

·
Registered
505 Posts
Looks fantastic, I just put one of the pics on my desktop!

My 2000 GTV has exactly the same colour, it's currently under restoration to be brought back to its former glory. Interior is in red leather. What do you think of that?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
that looks AWESOME! Congrats!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Excellent:)

10 yr restoration:eek:. You have the patience of a saint:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts