Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had my engine tuned in after the first 1000 km of break-in of the newly rebuilt engine. Building the engine was a lot of fun for an amateur like me, and I have learned a lot during the build.

The end result is 112,8 rear wheel HP at 7700 RPM, and a very flat torque curve peaking at 118,2 NM at 5400 RPM. I had hoped for 120+ HP, but as things turned out I am more than pleased with the perfectly shaped power curve.

There are 2 runs on the dyno chart. We changed the ignition advance from 34 degrees to 38 degrees to compensate the missing HP at high revs, and it worked like a charm as you can see.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congratulations! I know you'll have a lot of nice driving now! :D

I'm not an expert but when you say 112HP is it really from the 1300 cc engine?
Also I'm surprised by the 7700 RPM...

How much tune up did you do on the engine?
I also own a GT1300junior that is being reassembled and I would be very interested if you could give more details.

Thanks in advance and enjoy your "back on the road" GT1300Junior!

EDIT : Sorry my previous question was from a lazy guy... I did a search on the forum and found some info about your engine rebuild.
I'll read it and subscribe to the thread

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations! I know you'll have a lot of nice driving now! :D

I'm not an expert but when you say 112HP is it really from the 1300 cc engine?
Also I'm surprised by the 7700 RPM...

How much tune up did you do on the engine?
I also own a GT1300junior that is being reassembled and I would be very interested if you could give more details.

Thanks in advance and enjoy your "back on the road" GT1300Junior!

EDIT : Sorry my previous question was from a lazy guy... I did a search on the forum and found some info about your engine rebuild.
I'll read it and subscribe to the thread
The basis is a 1300 engine, but part of my tuning project has involved new bores and pistons, so technically it's 1400 cc now.

Here's a thread where you can see what I have done with the engine: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-rebuilding/175725-rebuilding-tuning-my-74-gt1300-junior.html

·
Registered
78 Posts
Must see...

Looks like you need to take a little test ride around Ulstrup so I can have a look...

Nice to see that there are some old Alfa's in the area

·
Registered
908 Posts
Well done ! That output of 112+bhp at the rear wheels equates to around 130 to 135bhp at the flywheel, so as much as a good fresh 2 litre, (but maybe not as torquey).
That's one hell of a result for a 1300.

You deserve a huge amount of credit , I've really enjoyed reading your other thread, thanks for sharing it with us.

Steve
GTA R

·
Registered
151 Posts
Crikey!

How on earth have you managed to get that power and torque curve from a 1300? I am VERY envious. My 1600, which admittedly has an absolutely standard bottom end, but has polished/ported head with C&B cams, only just breaks the 100bhp AT THE FLYWHEEL!

Please let me know your charge for taking my engine and delivering similar performance... I'll have it in the post to you tomorrow! Seriously though, can you estimate the amount spent to deliver such performance?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the positive feedback. ;)

I am very pleased with the results, and I guess it has been an effect of having picked all the right parts, and that I have been lucky that my porting of the cylinder head turned out as well as it did.

Power output curves are often seen with dips at certain revs, but the curve on my car is perfectly straight. Even the torque is delivered perfectly throughout the rev range.

I have access to a thermal camera, so I want to take advantage of that and check if any of the cylinders are running hotter than others due to differences in fuel/air delivery though the individual carbs. I don't know if it will tell me anything, but I think it's worth trying.

My next project will be a TS engine.... :D

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Thanks for all the positive feedback. ;)

I am very pleased with the results, and I guess it has been an effect of having picked all the right parts, and that I have been lucky that my porting of the cylinder head turned out as well as it did.

Power output curves are often seen with dips at certain revs, but the curve on my car is perfectly straight. Even the torque is delivered perfectly throughout the rev range.

I have access to a thermal camera, so I want to take advantage of that and check if any of the cylinders are running hotter than others due to differences in fuel/air delivery though the individual carbs. I don't know if it will tell me anything, but I think it's worth trying.
I'd certainly be interested to know more about how you ported your cylinder head, that's a stunning output from that engine. Please share more!!

EDIT: Just seen your thread .... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I also had my 1300 engine done. (While everybody suggested to throw in a 2 liter... :rolleyes:). Mine's not that wild as topic-starters engine. Impressive!

These 1300's are great engines, without much mod's there is a lot to win! My results:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts