Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Even for a radically tuned 1600 9000rpm sounds way over the top.-What happened?Missed a gear change when the pedal was to the metal?

Richard J

`65 Giulia Ti 1600, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it was on a mountain climb race, I raced against a 2000 tuned GTV with better torque so I pushed the 3 gear to the edge.
Important was that I was the first (until it happened...).

Look at the car while it was still in function.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Yeah but revving beyond the maximum power and torque curves is slower-usually a rapid fall off in performance. The key to speed is keeping within the maximum power band so keeping that engine to between your max torque and power bands which in a well set up significantly modified 1600 would be around 6500-7500rpm usually.

Richard J

`65 Giulia Ti 1600, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That depends on the engine specs.
When you have very light weight moving parts with very big cams, suitable carbs and very big comp. ratio believe me that you feel the power goes up until the painfull end...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
So that is where it went

Reuven, I thought when my race car died, it went to heaven. Now I see it is in Israel. :rolleyes:

Before: and after.... I killed the car by going into the wall to avoid killing the novice that panicked and slammed on the brakes on the straightaway when he saw me and the cars coming up behind. He and his Mini Cooper would not have survived. 138:RIP

Richard J. My race 1600 ran at 8-8200 RPM for years with no problems. (On pump gas) That is only 4200 piston feet per minute, comperable to a 1750 or 2 liter at 75-7600 RPM

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
George,
Sorry to see your car in this condition.
I was really lucky when my engine exploded, all the oil went out to the wheels and the car started spinning, I was very close to destroy it...

I am building now days a new engine with hopefuly more power, but this time 2 things:
1. Rev limiter
2. Higher pressure oil pump

Another reason that I could rev very high was that the pistons had bigger diameter on the same stroke. engine capacity was about 1650.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Rueven, lets see: you have a chassis, I have an engine, subtle is the economic genius and has the connections and can tell us if this a good idea. Lets join forces. ????

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hopefuly I will install my new engine until the end of the year, it is almost ready to "sing".
We have some Giulia cars for sale, good chassis before restoration (but it is far too far). I don't know how hard it is to find a Giulia in the States...

You can hear the engine sounds of both my Alfa's:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts