Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear God. This is tough. It's like seeing the girl you're still in love with on a date with her new boyfriend.

If someone wants arguably the nicest freakin' 2.5 Milano left in the USA here's your chance.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
And my former Milano as well (I owned and loved it for ~3 years after Gubi). I didn't have to do much of anything to it since it was Gubi's daily driver for years...it just purred right along while I had it.

Current owner is same username from the BAT listing here on the BB. I am pretty sure I asked him as a courtesy to let either of us know if he ever planned to sell it. So much for that. At $4K with several days to go, it seems you and I sold too cheap!

I just hope it goes to a good home...not many great Milanos left out there.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was me. It was a decent enough respray, though the very rear side panel did have some cracking when I sold it.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Still looked good when I sold it. Seems to still look good in the ad.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the ‘87 metallic blue originally. If that’s Mediterranean Blue then yes. The respray was a tad darker IIRC.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think there were several blues; my '87 is original paint MB, so I was just wondering about the color match. MB is metallic with a subtle fleck in the paint. It can look purple, or even teal, depending on the light...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I take it back. Looking at the chart I think the original color was the lighter Stellar Blue, and the respray I got was probably Mediterranean Blue. I remember it coming back from the paint shop a somewhat different color but I really liked it so I didn't complain.

That describes it well: it's a bluish purply metallic blue.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hey. Thanks for posting this. Sorry Scott - I figured you would be in Giulia-land forever since you had bought yours.

Indeed - this was such a great car to own and drive. I'm not entirely thrilled to be selling it but as I have a '64 Berlina, a third '67 Super and a Lancia Berlina on their way from Italy to here I need the space.

You folks did an amazing job of maintaining and improving this car. It really is a joy to own and drive. I probably did the least work on it of all the Alfa's I've owned (counting 20 something at this point). I do a lot of work, too. Currently neck deep in building a Giulia Super race car, and a fast road car (also Super). Both are requiring new engines and extensive brake and suspension work. Doing it all with a little help from my mechanic friend, Chris.

I actually spent a pretty decent chunk of money on having the paint straitened out (it was worth it, for sure). My shop cleaned up the driver's side rear quarter. There was also an issue with the installation of the mechanical timing belt tensioner that required a bit of attention, too (there was a bolt missing that allowed for a big oil leak). Other than that and some new tires I didn't need to do much to it.

We'll see if it goes for much more than I bought it from you for. I wouldn't be surprised if it hovers close to that, anyway. I'm not sure the general public entirely understands or trusts these cars the way we do. The proof is in the driving, though.

cheers,
Brian

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, hope it goes to a good home - it's a great little car. I was going to chime in on the BAT thread that "hey, I owned this car for 10 years and did all the mods and it's really nice" but wasn't sure if you'd want me to.

Yeah, it was in real good shape when I sold it, looks like it still is. I'm good with electrical so I spent a LOT of time fixing all the little Milano electrical issues.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Tom - by all means feel free to comment. I greatly admire the work you did on that car. It is really amazing. You made it unique in its high level of functionality and low level of random light flashing!

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Dear God. This is tough. It's like seeing the girl you're still in love with on a date with her new boyfriend.

If someone wants arguably the nicest freakin' 2.5 Milano left in the USA here's your chance.

And my former Milano as well (I owned and loved it for ~3 years after Gubi). I didn't have to do much of anything to it since it was Gubi's daily driver for years...it just purred right along while I had it.

Current owner is same username from the BAT listing here on the BB. I am pretty sure I asked him as a courtesy to let either of us know if he ever planned to sell it. So much for that. At $4K with several days to go, it seems you and I sold too cheap!

I just hope it goes to a good home...not many great Milanos left out there.
Gubi / Crackie - why did you both sell the Milano when you had it?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it was my daily driver, and it was getting tough to do that with a near-30-year old car. So I felt like it was time for me to get something a bit newer, and also to try something different after ten years. I ended up replacing it as my daily with a 2010 Cayman S. I could've kept the Milano, I suppose, but with two other Alfas and the Cayman I figured it just wasn't going to be used, and that just wouldn't be right.

It was honestly hard to give it up: I loved the car. I still sometimes question if it was the right call, but I'm pretty sure it was. Crackie offered me the chance to buy it back when he decided to sell, and while I was briefly tempted I think I wisely decided not to.

Anyway, at the very least it was a good life lesson. Someday not too long from now all of these cars will be crushed into little cubes and all of us will be dust: one has to keep one's perspective and be able to let things go.

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
How much hassle does a person want in order to make some bucks when he sells his car? I was faced with that decision last year when I sold my GTV6 on the ABB for a "reasonable"amount instead of trying to maximize the selling price in an auction. I am happy that it is now owned by an Alfa enthusiast and my wife is happy that it was replaced by a car that she can drive.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
At the risk of sounding too sappy, I've been reading your many posts for years now, and have appreciated both your skill and wisdom.

However, this very well could be your best contribution yet;
. . . Anyway, at the very least it was a good life lesson. Someday not too long from now all of these cars will be crushed into little cubes and all of us will be dust: one has to keep one's perspective and be able to let things go. . . .
Whether we(I) have the maturity and intellectual honesty to accept it and fully embrace it is another story.
. . . . able to let things go . . . often tough to do . . .

Keep 'em coming. :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
How much hassle does a person want in order to make some bucks when he sells his car? I was faced with that decision last year when I sold my GTV6 on the ABB for a "reasonable"amount instead of trying to maximize the selling price in an auction. I am happy that it is now owned by an Alfa enthusiast and my wife is happy that it was replaced by a car that she can drive.
I've owned more than 20 alfas at this point. I've restored close to ten. It's a serious passion for me. I've bought things that were expensive that I felt were reasonably priced and I've sold things for less than I invested in maintaining them (for example, this Milano - I'm sure I'll wind up underwater when all is said and done but it was a great car to own so I certainly don't mind). I love to own different cars and experience them. I drive the sh*t out of my Junior Z and Giulia Super - they are nice cars but not garage queens.

Sorry if you are unhappy that these cars are increasing in value. I honestly understand how that is frustrating. There are a lot of cars I'd like to own that I can't afford (e.g. a gray '64 Sprint GT). That said, money from selling cars goes back into cars. Currently building a Giulia Super race car and believe me, every penny from the sale of this car is going into that car. I'm doing all the work myself but go-fast bits ain't cheap!!

cheers,
Brian

1 - 20 of 21 Posts