Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1986 Spider Graduate from a local fellow that had no room for it anymore. It could use some work, but there's nothing preventing it from being driven. I think a synchro or something is pretty much gone between first and second, the cables to open the trunk and the gas cap have to be pulled with a pair of pliers since the levers they hook up to are currently broken, and there's a small tear in the back window.

... What a blast to drive, though. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Welcome to the BB!

Your Spider looks nice - congratulations! Before you decide that the second gear synchro needs to be replaced make sure you put some fresh oil in the gearbox. The choices favored by most are the Shell Spirax 80W/90 for traditional/Alfa recommended oil and Redline 75W/90 NS for synthetic, but do a search as there are a lot of opinions... Also, read up on the double clutching technique. The cables are not that difficult to change. Again, do a search, but here is a post to get you started with the one that releases the trunk.

Best regards,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, and I appreciate the advice. I assume the fluid must be ordered from International Auto or elsewhere?

I need to go through the documentation the fellow gave me. What with the Alfa Romeo Owner's Bible, the shop manual, the original leather packet thing, and three or four file folders of receipts and such, I literally have a ten-inch stack of paperwork to go through to see what the car has had done to it in its lifetime. And I like documentation. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looks awsome! I like the black on black interior. I have color envy! My 88 graduate is creme with brown/tan interior. It's nice, but I dream of making it all black like yours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That interior is probably the best part of the car at the moment. It's relatively clean and everything is there. However, the petals are too close together for my fat feet to manage them properly, and my right leg presses against the centre console. From reading around, it's a fairly common problem. :p

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
very nice alfa!

i am sure you will enjoy it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Don't worry about the driving problems, I am 6'4" and after driving my 88 spider for a while i got very used to it. I was going to replace the steering wheel with a smaller one but after a summer of driving the car, there was no need. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,938 Posts
Don't worry about the driving problems, I am 6'4" and after driving my 88 spider for a while i got very used to it. I was going to replace the steering wheel with a smaller one but after a summer of driving the car, there was no need. Just my opinion.
that's right.....you get used to it quickly, and it's worth it:D:D
Congratulations, and welcome to the board!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Great car. Just got through putting together an 86 Graduate myself. A fun little car, really addictive. Wish it had been in the condition of your car when I bought it. But the great thing about starting from scratch is that i now know how it works! Congratulations!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
congratulations on the spider. when I bought my 74, it grouond the gears in all 5. seems the pio (previous idiot owner) had put in Hypoid lube. a drain and refill with the redline lube fixed all but a little second gear crunch when the trans is cold.
cliff

·
Registered
288 Posts
Campisi - welcome to the BB.

I'm with O Bear - love the black on black. Sometimes I think I'm bleeding surrounded by all the Red in my Quad. Have fun with her - looks like a keeper!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Thank you, and I appreciate the advice. I assume the fluid must be ordered from International Auto or elsewhere?

I need to go through the documentation the fellow gave me. What with the Alfa Romeo Owner's Bible, the shop manual, the original leather packet thing, and three or four file folders of receipts and such, I literally have a ten-inch stack of paperwork to go through to see what the car has had done to it in its lifetime. And I like documentation. :)
The tranny oil is available from several sources, such as Centerline, IAP, and even your local stores. Be sure to check the "Supplier List" sticky in the forum "Anything about Alfa Romeos and the AlfaBB.com".

Documentation is excellent. One way to really "catch-up" to the condition of the car is to match the receipts and service history to the maintenance schedule in the manual(s). This way you will know how many times something was changed, when it was the last time it was done, or if it has never been done. The nice thing about having been given all the info is also that it seems to indicate that the previous owner (PO) cared about his car. That's a real "plus".

You may also want to update your user profile and post your location, as this is sometimes useful to know when offering suggestions about where to find services or order parts from. Note also that some of us include the car year and model in our signatures as another form of reference.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Nice Spider! I had two almost identical red '86 Graduates. I LOVE the look of Graduates with those steel wheels, too. They fit the car so incredibly well.

Interesting speaker modification in the door there at some point in its life... wow. Never seen one there!

These cars are an absolute blast to own and drive and a red '86 Grad is a great starting point. That's single-handedly the most common Alfa Spider combo on the roads (red/black '86 Graduate, that is), so parts are easy as pie to come by.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting speaker modification in the door there at some point in its life... wow. Never seen one there!
Apparently those were put there by the second owner; he didn't like how he could barely hear the music with the top down, apparently. They may not be stock, but they're Kenwood speakers and they sound great. :)

Where are you located?
*just updated his profile*

I live in Seattle, just between the Olympic and Cascade Mountains.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts