Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of a few videos of me and my GTV6 at the SDMA hillclimb in Canberra.
Bog stock car. By next month's event, some fat wheels and a loud exhaust...

To give you an idea of the times, my best was a 57.45 second run, the fastest car there was a crazy horsepower series 6 RX7 racecar which posted a 43 second run.

There was a 3.0 75 that was running 56 and a 244 turbo volvo running 50s.

I hope to get to the 55 second mark by the last run at the next event.
All you Canberra people should come along.

I'll show some more footage as I upload it.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7-0F6AETqQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T7-0F6AETqQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the difference between my car and a quick car.
When I'm supercharged I'll be able to give the competition a run for their money.
Although there are classes, I'd like to be in the top group.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-4NS-_I2TGE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-4NS-_I2TGE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Very cool, I'd like to try that someday. Never did like the sound of a rotary at full song...but it's better sounding than most Subies.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Welcome to the dark side - mmuuuhhhahahahaha. No really, now that you've got the bug it will dominate your life. Accept it and enjoy!

GTV6 prob not really suited to a hillclimb with slow point and shoot corners, big high speed sweepers would play to its strenghts a bit more :)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the dark side - mmuuuhhhahahahaha. No really, now that you've got the bug it will dominate your life. Accept it and enjoy!

GTV6 prob not really suited to a hillclimb with slow point and shoot corners, big high speed sweepers would play to its strenghts a bit more :)
Thanks for the welcome.

You're right, the tight circuit is challenging in the GTV but I think with the right technique and setup it can be done quickly.
The first few runs I did were rife with understeer but by the 3rd 4th and 5th the understeer had pretty much disappeared. I'm skeptical that it was due to track/tyre warmth because I changed my driving style pretty dramatically from gung-ho corner entry to more controlled preparation and apexing.

I think the key is to have the car pretty much flat or neutral before entering the corner so there isn't much weight bias on either end of the car. Some more tips are welcome though :)

Going up the hill is also a challenge because of the gearing of the second cog.
It's too fast to attack in 1st so provoking a bit of oversteer on the rough edge of the track improved things.

It's a good feeling knowing that I lowered my run times by 5 seconds from the 1st to last one.

I'm hoping to somehow mount the camera inside the car for next month.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And here's the 3 litre 75.
Note: the driver is Peter Dowling, owner of one of the biggest Alfa workshops here in Canberra.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kWWW6BXNEyw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kWWW6BXNEyw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And another one.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6GjgzLwlVvE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6GjgzLwlVvE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

If there's an interest, I have some great footage of Lotuses, porsches, clubmans, some japanese cars, Jags... i'll post these if people want to see them.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great videos!
Thanks mate.
This kind of track looks ideal of the chassis.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AjSKiz9XUw8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AjSKiz9XUw8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.

I think the key is to have the car pretty much flat or neutral before entering the corner so there isn't much weight bias on either end of the car. Some more tips are welcome though :)

QUOTE]

Yep, getting them to turn is the struggle. I always feel like I'm giving away too much speed on entry, but its necessary to get the car onto the apex and get a good exit. Its particularly an issue on tighter corners. If I try to carry too much corner speed, it drifts wide of the apex and I can't get back onto the power. Unlike the 105, it doesn't have power oversteer as an option to bring the tail round and kill the understeer. More power at that point just means less weight on the front and more understeer :( The upside is awesome traction off the corner :) I had a BMW 323i chasing me in the last sprints and he couldn't believe how stable the GTV6 was and how quickly it got off the corners. The BM was oversteer everywhere in comparison.

Re the gearing need a twinspark box to fix the gearing and has the bonus of a limited slip diff.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it's frustrating but fun to work with the challenge it presents.
I have an LSD in my GTV6.
I would like to put a TS box in there but I think other improvements will take priority (chassis mods).

S

·
0 Posts
Nice videos, Alfettish.

I thought the GTV-6 looked great on those turns (as did your driving), am I to understand it's stock suspension?

I would think the RSR suspension would knock off quite a few seconds, especially on a tight course such as that one.

Thanks.

David

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks David, for the kind words.
The suspension is stock but for Koni Yellows on almost full rebound setting. It's a bit bouncy on the road but felt great on the track.
I would love some RSR coilovers and ARBars but they're very expensive and I don't have the money at the moment.
Some big-arse torsion bars might be the way to go, I also have some 17x7.5" wheels with a 35mm offset which I'll get on before the next session. I need to drill out the centre bores though.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Hey mate, good vids! Love it. Is that hillclimb off Fairbairn Ave, on the way to Queenbeyan?

Pete's a great driver and an even better mechanic - I wish I still lived close enough to be able to use him!

Keep em' commin'

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey mate, good vids! Love it. Is that hillclimb off Fairbairn Ave, on the way to Queenbeyan?

Pete's a great driver and an even better mechanic - I wish I still lived close enough to be able to use him!

Keep em' commin'
Thanks for the kind words Ben. Yes that's the track, it's a nice one too; I didn't even realise it existed until about 6 months ago.
Pete is also a great bloke!
However, I'll be aiming to blow him out of the water at the next meeting :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Ben. Yes that's the track, it's a nice one too; I didn't even realise it existed until about 6 months ago.
Pete is also a great bloke!
However, I'll be aiming to blow him out of the water at the next meeting :)
I went to that track a few times as a kid in my Dad's Dino 246GT. He never ran on the circuit but I have some snaps that I took on an ancient Minolta of 911 Turbo, 512BB, 308 GTB & a GTS and another Dino GTS getting around it!

It was fun, especially as an eight year old!

And yeah, you beat Pete around the circuit too, he's had enough of the spotlight in his career!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went to that track a few times as a kid in my Dad's Dino 246GT. He never ran on the circuit but I have some snaps that I took on an ancient Minolta of 911 Turbo, 512BB, 308 GTB & a GTS and another Dino GTS getting around it!

It was fun, especially as an eight year old!

And yeah, you beat Pete around the circuit too, he's had enough of the spotlight in his career!

Wow that sounds fantastic!!
You had a very lucky childhood by the sounds of it. Well, atleast where cars were concerned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent videos

My young daughter and I also run at the SDMA hillclimb in an Alfa 75 2.5. It is tight and a lot of fun. Our car is standard with 280K on it but it is very forgiving and easy to drive. That was the first meeting we have missed for a while and it would have been great to see three red Alfas running around.

I have no hints but to have fun and try to be smooth. Our car has no traction smoking the tyres on every tight corner.

Hope to see you next year

:)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My young daughter and I also run at the SDMA hillclimb in an Alfa 75 2.5. It is tight and a lot of fun. Our car is standard with 280K on it but it is very forgiving and easy to drive. That was the first meeting we have missed for a while and it would have been great to see three red Alfas running around.

I have no hints but to have fun and try to be smooth. Our car has no traction smoking the tyres on every tight corner.

Hope to see you next year

:)
Alfaniki,
I've seen your car before it's very nice.
Hopefully by the first event in March there'll be 4 red alfas. I know of another 75 with 250RWHP which will probably enter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts