Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks AlfaBB!I haven't posted much on the BB, but I've gleaned a lot of info. Thanks for all the previous posts and responses that have helped me so much. A special thanks to Bianchi1 who's been walking me through it!

I have the block completely stripped. I had to go (almost) this far due to a broken intermediate timing gear. I figured I might as well do a complete rebuild. My next step is to take the crank shaft to a machine shop for inspection. Any thought on this? Then I'm thinking about a Paul Spruell block overhaul kit. Any thought on this??

PS. I have a rebuilt head waiting to go on top. New oil pump. New gaskets. New Paul Spruell light flywheel and clutch (Thanks JQ!). I will be ordering a new water pump and (probably) Paul Spruell motor mounts.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
Alfa crankshafts require considerable care to keep them perfect. All 2L cranks were nitrate hardened, and the hardening is intentionally not deep. Any grind and polish may get close to the base of the hardening. You need a good crankshaft shop familiar with Alfa cranks.
If you will be talking with Paul Spruell, get his opinion on this.
Read other BB engine rebuilding comments from others that have done this themselves. Pay particular attention to writers that admit making mistakes! Everyone makes mistakes, the best of us pass on our errors so others can avoid the same problems.
Alfa engine building is very rewarding and cost savings is not the reason many undertake DIY rebuilds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts