Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
French Blue GTV 1750
I was 15 year old teenager living in soviet Georgia, when a friend of my dad brought me bunch of grey market Quattroruote magazines with pictures of a then new Alfa SZ and it was love at first sight. Few years passed and now I'm living in US. Every time we visit wife's family in Italy I sneak away in the afternoon to see Alfa Romeo dealership few blocks down the street and just drool. I kept driving mostly German cars and was looking at BMW 850 on BaT and there she was:67 Gulia Sprint GT, an Alfa model (Giulia) somehow I never seen before.
BaT Exclusive: 1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
Quick Google search pulled up alfabb and less than a year later I got my first classic car and my first Alfa from a fellow member here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/208005-1970-french-blue-1750-gtv.html
It was exactly the model I was looking for (Brad Fischer's car was the inspiration). I am going to drive it daily so, it had to be unrestored, with small tail lights, 1750 dash, webers and preferably hanging pedals. So when I saw it in gorgeous Blu Francia and originally had Sky Grey interior I could not let it pass. Also being a car guy from Europe, I felt like it was my duty to bring my own car on this side of the pond (first one was my wife's Fiat 500 which she got as a gift on her 12th birthday, I fought for years not to sell it and finally brought it to Charleston). And on December 11, 2013 I cleared Giulia from customs here are some pics of her all dusty, engine running poorly and suspension shot. Some pics from first day at home and currently at the shop, getting whole bunch of things fixed (I am out of patience at this point, it's been 5 month since the purchase and have not even driven it properly). Hope did not bore you with a long post and thanks all for incredible amount of detailed info on this site.
Zaza

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tanti auguri Zaza! Veramente una bella macchina.
It's very funny that you have read Quattroruote in Georgia in the past, here in Italy is the auto's bible as you know.
Now is the time to do these little adjustment and drive it correctly.
Buon divertimento!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Zaza, Congratulations on your Alfa. I am glad my GTV was an inspiration to you. Your new Series 2 Euro looks like a good Alfa. Keep posting photos and updates of the repairs and upgrades.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the support. I will be posting details about Giulia's progress and some questions that could not find answers here. I like doing my own homework, so pretty much I figured everything out about the car, its a bit of an unusual case. Later on about that.
Torstein, that's really cool, hopefully the club will grow in numbers. By the way, on google.com search for a french blue gtv pulls my car's pics, so guess she's kinda internet celebrity lol

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So after closer inspection by me and Maxi we decided Giulia was a keeper. Short negotiation later I got the driver's seat and Maxi got passenger's (and he is super protective of it, no other cats are allowed anywhere near Giulia or Fiat, it's just his domain. Incredibly this less than a year old kitten, which teared up old sofa almost in pieces, hasn't put even a tiny scratch on any of our cars). Back to the subject.
Overall body turned out to be in decent shape: front valance and radiator support was repaired/replaced recently by Torstein (Impaw), all 4 floor pans and front of the rocker panels repaired, beautifully done, but then the notch for the front jacking point was filled with bondo and jacking part missing:confused:. Magnet sticks to every inch of the car, some rust in front windshield area, just a slight rust bubles on few spots bottom of the doors and a lots of sloppy bondo mess, hood is good so is trunk lid. Paint is in decent condition, good polish and couple layers of wax that's all it needs (maybe cleaning up some paint drips here n there).
Suspension was all rusted, ball joints gone etc., brakes needed some attention too. Engine was rebuilt not too long ago as compression and leak down tests all came good, valves look clean, high oil pressure. Oil leak from valve cover, 1/2 moon rubber plugs and I think from the back of the block , on the bottom where those cigarette plugs (have hard time keeping up with all the tech jargon) go in. Hopefully my gearbox gonna be ok, as it got stuck in 2nd or 4th gear here is the link if anyone had similar issue, please let me know whats up:http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gearbox-transaxle-differential-propshaft/279346-help-diagnose-strange-105-gear-shifter-getting-stuck-issue.html
Rear end seemed ok, as I have not heard any noise coming from there.

I had to wait two weeks for the shop to take Giulia in, so I spent this time getting to know car inside out, documenting all the missing and incorrect parts and compiling a long To Do list. But most of the time went on cleaning, scrabbing, picking dirt and gunk from interior and getting car cleaned properly, as it has not been done in over a decade. And most of the parts cleaned out pretty nicely. So here is a general To do list:
-Have car in good shape mechanically:
-New brake calipers (rear ones where new) and rotors (front rotors were new) hoses, master slave booster checked, e-brake etc
-Full engine tune-up with valve timing checked and gaskets changed
-Gearbox opened/checked resealed; Clutch checked
-Suspension fully rebuilt with powder coating on parts etc, I know they are not original parts, but could not resist yellow springs and red Konis they are too pretty (now I wish I saw alfaholic's stock looking handling kit before i got these); Migle Miglias restored
-Electrical systems seems to work properly, later on I'll upgrade to 45 or 60 amp alternator for a simple maybe hidden stereo system
-Waterproofing the car: all of the grommets, gaskets, plugs and rubber seals in place
-Replace rear GT junior seat with a GTV seat; delete hand pull style choke and accel knobs under the ignition key to a push pull style chrome ones that go under the dash and in future redo interior in Sky Grey
-Polish all SS and chrome pieces
And some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Beautiful car and what great specifications. I know a few of us on the BB who have cars nearing (I use that term loosely in my case) the paint booth are considering French Blue. I'd love as many pictures as you can take of the car - in sunlight, shade, etc. I think the whole board would appreciate it if you tagged them with the paint color so we have some record of how this fascinating and rare blue is intended to look.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Beautiful car and what great specifications. I know a few of us on the BB who have cars nearing (I use that term loosely in my case) the paint booth are considering French Blue. I'd love as many pictures as you can take of the car - in sunlight, shade, etc. I think the whole board would appreciate it if you tagged them with the paint color so we have some record of how this fascinating and rare blue is intended to look.
Hey all, cars been getting ready for an engine bay respray, so we can mount front suspension back on it. As soon as I have hood and wheels on ill take some pics of it, dirty and dusty and then after good detailing so you can tell what the color looks like both ways.
Meanwhile waiting for a burman box to come back from APE (Larry Jr. is workin on it) I've been getting headlight assembly and grill repainted and some other small bits and parts polished. Last pics show a hairline cracks, on burman box (between the pencil marks)
P.S. How do I tag these pics or thread?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Such great wheels too. This is shaping up to be my dream gtv! By tagging I simply meant to either title the photo with the paint color and name or put it in the thread. Ive found that either one will show up on a search.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great buy and enjoy.....

Don't forget to buy a dog and stop the bloody cat jumping on the Alfa!
Wish I could get a dog, too much responsibility, can't leave them alone like cats. And a thought of a dog chasing cat around my Alfa:blink:.....No way!

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Such great wheels too. This is shaping up to be my dream gtv! By tagging I simply meant to either title the photo with the paint color and name or put it in the thread. Ive found that either one will show up on a search.
Ok, got it -tag. Well yours and Rossano's French Blues are going to be more like dream cars..... want my dream car for yours? :shifty:

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Does anyone know correct sizes for headlight grill
Nylon U-nut
Bumper, Grille and Wheel Apron Nylon Extruded U-Nut - 1224088 | LawsonProducts.com

Square nut
$8.57 - Mazda Nylon Nut #8 Screw Size Qty (50) [13930] : NutsandBolts.com

And where can I find correct Cable Strap for the engine bay (for the harness)
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Honda_Toyota_Cable_Strap_110mm_Length_p/a14284.htm
$16.78 - Honda Cable Strap 110MM Len Qty (15) [14284] : NutsandBolts.com

I left parts at the shop and even if I had them with me would not know how to measure them. Need to order these asap as headlight assembly been restored and ready to install. (If weather is nice enough tomorrow to spray the engine bay)

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
?

Some pics of recent work. First pic shows tools and chemicals I used in order. Last one shows trim pieces cleaned, derusted, rust converter applied, polished and JB kwik applied under the peeling chrome areas, filled holes etc. Need to prime and paint repaired areas. BTW found the missing 4th trim piece, compliments of Robert (Rkirkpatrick) thanks again

Attachments

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Glad to help. Better it be on your car than sitting in my basement gathering dust.

Nice work on the buckets. Those look great!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can you tell me how you cleaned up the interior lights and grab handles as shown in post 11?

Mine are not bad, but yours after restoration look fantastic.

Gary

1 - 20 of 43 Posts