Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
First Italian car (87 Spider Veloce) & first post! Long time former British car owner and since I bought the Spider I have a new found great level of respect for all of you. I have been reading the forums and I am amazed at the number of members who have learned to live with their ongoing Alfa issues (eg, electrical) - it seems the Alfa experience greatly out weighs these little annoying warts. And so far (sine 9/10/14 when I bought this car) the driving experience has been much better than expected. I think I am starting to appreciate this new found Italian experience!!
So here is my first issue. Passenger electrical window does not go up or down. Driver window works fine. Switched the console switches and it did not make any difference. Took the door panel off (OMG), and got a reading of 11.8 volts from the inbound wires (Grn; Grn/Blk) to the motor. I do hear a faint clicking from what I assume is the motor but no hum at all. Hooked up an extra battery to the same wires and got the same results. I saw posts about bench testing the motor - seems like it would be very hard to get it out of the door and those cables definitely scare me. Any recommendations for next steps. Do you know of any specific threads addressing similar problem. I don't want to tell you how long this took me; But I am truly enjoying this car so far. Thank God I have other cars to drive when I need a car!
Thank you guys!
Bill Livesey
Cumberland, RI

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
if window is down, remove it

Hi Wlivesey,

Welcome aboard.

If the window is currently in the down position, you should start by removing the glass. It's fairly straightforward:
1. There are two bolts going through holes in the lower section of the window glass. You will want to remove those bolts, but before you do, I recommend you mark the cables above and below those support brackets so you can put them back in the same place on the cables when you re-assemble.
2. Pay attention to how the rubber washers are arranged on the securing bolts so you can get those back in the same manner later too.
3. Unbolt the rear window channel where it attaches to the bottom of the door.
4. While supporting the glass, remove the two support bolts.
5. Slide the glass upwards until you are able to jockey the rear window channel forward and down so it pulls out of the slot that it fits in at the top.
6. Now, you can tip the glass backwards as you pull it out.

After you have the glass out, check for cables that are twisted or bound up on the pulleys or at the motor.

Here are a couple of threads that might provide a little insight:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/43503-cables-too-tight-window.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/160249-replace-electric-window-motor-1982-alfa-spider.html

At the top right of the Spider Forum page you can also access a "Search this Forum" feature. It's quite helpful. Try entering "window", "power window", "window motor", etc.

If you don't have a Shop Manual for your car, find one and buy it. I see digital ones on eBay all the time. Your Shop Manual, like this BB, will prove invaluable in the future.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad window lift motor on your hands. If you have braved removing the door panel then you have already proved you are up to the task. Good for you.

New replacement lift motors are available from IAP and Centerline or from Mr Fiat in Atlanta. I think the price of a new motor is around $60. But if you really want to spend the money and get a superior result, Centerline and Mr Fiat both sell a retrofit replacement system which is about $250 per door. This system replaces the old style motor and lifting cable drum and all the lifting wires completely and replaces it with a worm screw track assembly enclosed in a rigid housing. I discovered that I had one of these replacement systems already installed in my drivers side door when I purchased my 88 Quad.

My passengers side door has always had a poorly performing OEM lift motor and it has finally gotten so bad that I ordered one of the expensive retrofit lift assemblies from Mr Fiat yesterday. When the rigid track drive system arrives I will be removing that ridiculous OEM cable wire system and installing the track drive system.

It is pictured below. OEM system is second picture, for comparison. Good luck, Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's either the switch or the motor.

If you push the window switch button and juice is going thru...you hear that click or the lights dim, the motor needs replacing.

I replaced with the OEM type and it's not a big job, even with the cables and such, you should have an extra pair of hands to help, though.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It's either the switch or the motor.
Very easy to eliminate the switch as the problem. You have 2 sides on the window lift switch, left and right. Swap the electrical leads to the switch from left to right. If the bad window says bad, then it is the motor since you know the other side of the switch was working OK on the other window.

Robert

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We'll it seems it must be the motor. I have already switched the switch and
proved it's not the switch. Thanks all for the prompt and thorough response. I appreciate it
Bill L

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Fed Ex delivered the passengers side retrofit window lift this morning at 9:00am and by 1:30pm it was done. And this with some time taken to quarter wash the empty door casing and stop to replace a broken rivet in the vent window frame. So now I am wire cable free completely and have a passengers side window which does not need me pulling it up to make it roll up. I have been driving the spider and rolling up and rolling down the passengrs side window just for grins. I will post photos in a new topic.

Robert

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello guys
It took me a while to get back to my electric window problem. I guess I had some distractions but today I made some progress. The cable seemed way to tight so after I took the window out I could see the cable was off the top right pulley (passenger door). I could also see the spool and it looks like all the cable is out on one end. So I took the regulator out along with the motor. I bench tested the motor and it works.
Is there a way for me to tell if the regulator is ok?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If you are handy, a great thing it to hard wire the switches so you don't need a key to make them go up or down. Handy when a rain storm hits and you just want the **** windows up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts