Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I was driving and I noticed my steering wheel was way off from being centered. I was driving straight but the steering wheel was turned to the side. I stopped imdediately at a garage. He told me not to drive it before he looked at it. I left the car there and went to work.

It was a garage on the way to work. By no means a specilist in these types of cars.

He gives me the Im not sure what the issue is but everything works fine. He says to me he was puzzled as once the wheels get to the end of the rotation the steering wheel turned a quarter turn extra without the wheels turning. He said maybe its an Alfa thing.

I drove home that day and left it in the garage...I scheduled an appointment with my mechanic for this morning and was gonna drop off the car to him last night.

As I was backing out of my underground garage, the steering wheel made a light popping sound and then was no longer turnign the wheels. it just spins.

Now I dont have steering so I pushed it back into it's spot and left it there.

1) whats the best way to get this car out of my garage and on to a tow truck. Seems like a complex tow as my car has no steering. So I cant control the direction I can push it out. Not too many tow trucks can fit in the underground garage its pretty standard size garage.
2) is this a major repair? IE big bucks? Am I looking at a few hundred or a few thousands...LOL

I guess In a way I am lucky it happened when I was backing up slowly as if it was while driving I might have had very different outcome...lets not think of that.

Its a 84 spider Located in Montreal just in case anyone here wants to help me push...
:001_unsure:

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
If I were you, I'd go out buy a lottery ticket!...very lucky.

First thing I would check is if turning the steering wheel, the drop arm under the steering box turns too......if it does that would point more to a fault after that arm.
If it doesn't it would point to something between that and the steering wheel, like a steering box failure (do you have a Burmann or ZF box?..burman's can fail/crack open, ZF not so), a shaft failure (unlikely) or maybe something simple like the steering wheel has come very loose and was perhaps put on without the woodruff key that locates it so it is just turning without turning the shaft...maybe pull off the plastic centre bit and see if the big nut is tight?? .....if you push and pull the steering wheel in and out towards you does it move?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I will defintely count myself lucky this time.

I had just bought the car and the only thing I know is the Horn wasnt working when I bought it. I had to pass inspection so without the horn I was not able to pass the provincial inspection. So I paid a mechanic who specializes in electrical and he removed the steering wheel and determined that the existing horn buttons on the wheel were not repairabled so she added a new horn button the the center of the wheel. Hoping its something simple too on my end.

I will when I get off work take a look at the above but I am not sure of what I have.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Woodruff key

maybe something simple like the steering wheel has come very loose and was perhaps put on without the woodruff key that locates it so it is just turning without turning the shaft...maybe pull off the plastic centre bit and see if the big nut is tight?? .....if you push and pull the steering wheel in and out towards you does it move?
I have to agree with Dom on this one. It sounds like the steering wheel was put on without the Woodruff key, or the Woodruff key fell out the last time the steering wheel was removed, or when it was being installed. The symptoms are exactly what you would experience if the steering wheel was not secured to the column shaft.

On my S3, it's wasn't too hard to pry/pull the rubber horn cover off with my fingers. Once that is done, you can view the main shaft nut and locking washer. At that point you will be able to turn the wheel and see if the shaft is turning along with it. Almost don't even need to open the tool box to explore that avenue.

Good luck,

·
Registered
964 Posts
Don't think its what I had...on a 58 Morris Minor (this was in 1968)....going 85 mph on AutoBahn in Germany.....saw suddenly (at least I thought so) steering wheel had turned and wheels were going straight....stopped ,checked everything...didn't see anything...decided to keep going...got it in first gear ,then second ,while I put it in second the A frame on the right side came off the car!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You nailed it. I removed the center cap and the big bolt was loose. What's a woodruff key and if it fell out is it a matter of tightening the main bolt? I wouldn't have those tools to tighten it.

Any recommendations???

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
You nailed it. I removed the center cap and the big bolt was loose. What's a woodruff key and if it fell out is it a matter of tightening the main bolt? I wouldn't have those tools to tighten it.

Any recommendations???
That is good! a lot cheaper than a bust steering box and you even save the cost of a tow truck...;)

woodruff key is the little metal bit/chock that slips into the groove in the steering shaft and the wheel has a notch that locates over it:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/339410-anybody-know-what-part.html
and
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/66869-steering-column-please-help.html

Needs to be found (under the seat or carpet maybe when someone removed the wheel?) and put back in, if indeed it is missing!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it wow I'm impressed. I had found that piece a few weeks ago I kept it in ashtray.

Now gotta find someone who can help me locally to put it back.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After reading a few threads on woodruff installation I think its more difficult to tackle for myself. I'll try find mechanic willing to do house calls

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
PVC Woodruff key install tool

You might be right to call in a mechanic. The woodruff key is a bit tricky to install on the Alfas.

One of the members fabricated a little tool out of some PVC plumbing pipe with a slot cut into one side of one end to make the job a bit easier. Here is a link to Bob G.'s wondertool thread:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/326497-make-tool-steering-wheel-woodruff-key-insertion.html

If nothing else, print his post and picture and give it to the mechanic before he starts work. It might help him if he hasn't worked on an Alfa before.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
...without the horn I was not able to pass the provincial inspection. So I paid a mechanic who specializes in electrical and he removed the steering wheel..........
.......and left it hanging off maybe?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem solved. Exactly the diagnosis mention. Woodruff key not in slot and steering wheel not connected properly.
With 2 people and a flathead screw driver I was able to help mechanic install woodruff.

He took my car for a short spin said universal joint needs to be replaced soon.

He was driving a beautiful GTV 6. Was very rare version of a limited production model. First GTV6 I've seen in person that I remember.

Thanks everyone. Next year I'll repair universal joint rear bearings and stitch seats back together as the stitching ripped at seams. I'm gonna make the most if last few days of summer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts