Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, AlfaBB. I'm finally tearing into my new Alfa project, a '74 GTV that lost a couple of fights with other cars. I'm stripping it down to the shell, then I'm going to have the paint stripped and see what I'm really working with, and then fix the body and put her all back together good as new.

That link I'll post a link to a gallery of photos of the tear-down from when I bought the car until now when I'm allowed to by the forums. Good news is she runs and drives great, everything mechanical is in good shape. The gearbox was rebuilt by a previous owner ~15 years ago and still feels fine. I don't have any records of the engine being rebuilt, I'll do a compression test after I yank it out and decide if she needs a rebuild then. Planning on keeping the SPICA as it's working well other than needing a new thermo actuator.

Red isn't the original color, 90% I'll repaint it Rosso Corsa but I also really like French Blue...

Attachments

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
Looks like a nice car. Why not drive it?
Pete

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Progress so far: Removed all lights, all interior except dash and headliner, stripped a bunch of stuff from engine compartment.

The hood has a big dent on the front left corner, I worked on hammering it out but when I stripped the paint there was a bunch of filler in there from a previous repair and it's pretty rough. I think to get the shape back in it I'd have to separate the inner and outer skins which is a PITA. The inner skin also has a couple cracks near the pass. hinge which will need welding. Since this is my first real crack at beating metal I'll probably take it apart and have a go at it but I fully expect to have to buy a new hood.

The list of sheetmetal I have to buy for sure is both front fenders, front fascia, headlight mounts (maaaaybe salvageable), rear fascia, driver and pass. front floors (pass. may be patchable), driver's front jack point and maybe the reinforcement bar there. May need to replace some of the radiator support structure, hard to tell until I cut fascia off, and the front rollbar mounting points may be tweaked, I'll know better when I get the suspension off and can measure things better.

Since the body is tweaky I'm probably going to make a frame jig/cart and perhaps a rotisserie. I'm a rather green welder so I'm looking for projects I can do for practice before I'm welding expensive new sheetmetal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a nice car. Why not drive it?
Pete
When I can post more pictures you'll see that that's the 'good' side. The black isn't a bra, it's thick primer to cover the big bondo patch, and the other front corner is much more mangled. The car got hit on the front and back so it's banged up all over. From 20' away she looks like a nice car with a bra. The current paint job is from ~2005 and has held up well other than the accidents.

·
Super Moderator
10,099 Posts
I don't have any records of the engine being rebuilt, I'll do a compression test after I yank it out and decide if she needs a rebuild then.
Seems like it would be easier to perform the compression test while the engine is still installed in the car. The starter is all wired up, the engine is securely restrained, .... Why do it with the engine just sitting on your garage floor?

Red isn't the original color, 90% I'll repaint it Rosso Corsa but I also really like French Blue...
Well then, paint it French Blue. With all the work you are putting into the body, the car is probably going to be a keeper. Restore it the way that you want.

·
Premium Member
15,492 Posts
French Blue would look very nice, have seen one locally that color. There are sooo many red ones...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like it would be easier to perform the compression test while the engine is still installed in the car. The starter is all wired up, the engine is securely restrained, .... Why do it with the engine just sitting on your garage floor?
You're probably right but I already pulled the battery and most of the wiring harness from the engine compartment anyway. I have an engine stand I can put it on, too, so it won't have to sit on the floor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucky, foolish, something like that. I'm always on the lookout for an excuse to buy more tools.

The big question mark now is just how much filler is hiding under the pretty paint job. There's obviously some slathered on the passenger side outer sill, I'm curious to find out exactly what it's covering. It was probably 1/8" thick on the corner of the hood that I stripped, which is more than I like. I would love to keep the sheet metal bill under $5k!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts