Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot seem to press the gas pedal without hitting the brake pedal I have to lay my foot down on its side and use my toe to press the gas...not a great option in an emergency stop situation! Is there a work around or "fix" that works for us bigger guys. If the seat could move back another six inches that would help also.
I just picked up this 1989 Spider Quadrifoglio after being a Porsche owner and love the car.

·
Administrator
17,466 Posts
Well, I'm 6'1" with a size 12 shoe. I do have to use running shoes (vs work boots) to drive it but I guess i've gotten used to using my toes for the gas & brake. And the right side of my left foot for the clutch. Perhaps it was because I've always had MG's and their tiny close-together pedals that it didn't seem all that awkward to me.

There is a modification for the throttle pedal that'd give you a few inches of leg room as far as being able to stretch out your right leg.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Too tall with feet that are too big.......
Simple fix, just follow through with that threat about breaking your foot off in whomever's butt next time there's oppertunity.
That should add about 5" to the legroom and get at least that particular legs shoe size down to a 3 or so :D

Pictures of wives and girlfriends are also accepted as barter items to trade for technical information.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Didn't the previous owner inform you that Alfas prefer to be driven only with Italian driving shoes?

Preferably something like this:

Aiaccio - Navy Blue Deer Leather Driving Shoe from Moreschi at FORZIERI Official Site

Only $250. Each.

Seriously, I had the same problem. Driving shoes did help as they are narrower than most shoes. I keep a pair in the car and change into them anytime I drive. My wife does roll her eyes every time I do it.

And they can be found at much cheaper prices.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I dont have a problem with the gas pedal, I am over 6 feet tall, and have to get into my spider head first. my problem is after driving something else for a while, I forget to keep my clutch foot to the right. I also wear size 12 shoes. after getting in, the spider is very comfortable for me, like wearing it.
cliff

·
Registered
104 Posts
I ran into the same problem when I bought my 88 and have come to wearing moccasin type shoe with a hard bottom and it really helps since my size 11 xx wide made it hard to drive.Keeping my leg turned to toe drive made it tough on my aging hip.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I drive bare foot. The pedals are unique in an Alfa, all of them!! I'm a 12 as well and 6' 4". Raising the seat helps for me as well as getting it back as far a possible.

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Same problem with my size 9 1/2 EEE work boots. They simply will not fit between the brake pedal and the console. Even the size 9 EE regular boots leave only about one millimeter clearance on either side. So I bought another brake pedal and offset the pedal pad to the left about 10mm. Haven't installed it yet but theoretically, it should work.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Would you consider this style of driving shoe?

Don't know if they come in size 12.

Thanks to Santiago Monten for posting this photo of his sister earlier this month.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I drove my spider for many years with the gas pedal removed. just used the stick that the pedal bolts on to. with just the stick you hit it more with the top of the foot and not the middle or lower. with the stock set up I feel like I use my heal not the toe in that car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts