Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some of my favorite pictures I took at the event.

Ron Tonkin, who after some illness just got strong enough gave us a tour of his garage, was a wonderful host and sponsor of the event. Although still fairly weak, one could hear the deep passion for cars in his voice and in the stories he told us (the yellow 330 GTS he owns since new is his favorite car of the collection).

Attachments

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgive me if there's a slight bias towards cars from BC and/or the 2600 Touring Spider my friend Tim Wyman (owner) and I drove down from Vancouver, Canada. The car won First in Class (easy as it was the only car in the class) and the People's Choice Award -- both reduced the pain and frustration encountered during the restoration considerably. A big Thank You from Tim for everybody who voted for his car. he probably won't get the grin off his face for a week or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photos, Ruedi.
If I had thought ahead, I would have made certain to park the Jr. Z close to BC cars all week long!!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Forgive me if there's a slight bias towards cars from BC and/or the 2600 Touring Spider my friend Tim Wyman (owner) and I drove down from Vancouver, Canada. The car won First in Class (easy as it was the only car in the class) and the People's Choice Award -- both reduced the pain and frustration encountered during the restoration considerably. A big Thank You from Tim for everybody who voted for his car. he probably won't get the grin off his face for a week or two.
Can someone tell me the color (Grigio Metalizzato?) of that Touring Spider. It is absolutely beautiful. My Super is close to being sprayed and that the color!:D

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can someone tell me the color (Grigio Metalizzato?) of that Touring Spider. It is absolutely beautiful. My Super is close to being sprayed and that the color!:D
The paint is Glasurit AR-728 Grigio Medio Metallizatto (base & clear).

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great color! What is the interior?
The interior is black vinyl.

We figured out he'll have to do the seat bottoms again because the foam is too soft (after 3 hours our bums started to hurt).

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
The interior is black vinyl.

We figured out he'll have to do the seat bottoms again because the foam is too soft (after 3 hours our bums started to hurt).
(Drive faster!!)

Higher speed = Less seat time :D

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(Drive faster!!)

Higher speed = Less seat time :D
He, he. We would have done that if traffic and speed limits would have allowed it. Much of driving north on I-5 on Sunday afternoon felt like a parking lot until we reached Seattle. Driving to Portland took 7 hrs; driving back 9-1/2. Car and driver were the same (and border crossing wait into Canada was about 1/2 hour less). :D

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Forgive me if there's a slight bias towards cars from BC and/or the 2600 Touring Spider my friend Tim Wyman (owner) and I drove down from Vancouver, Canada.
Congrats!

In the second picture, you are parked next to Gene Brown's Montreal (easily recognized by hs quad pipes and missing hub centres). He drove a 4,500 mile/3 week roundtrip to get to the convention ... in his Montreal! That's Grand Touring if you ask me ;)

A Montreal Odyssey

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
And I had the distinct pleasure to be passed by that mutha' GTV-6 on I-5 late one evening. The "scream" was the Sirens' sound. Oooooooooooh!

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My favorite story of the event...

The Monday before we left for Portland, one of Tim's mechanics pointed out that he thought the distributor was worn which led to variations in the advance curve and idle shifting randomly between 800 and 1500 RPM. Tim ordered a 123ignition distributor which looks from the outside like a Bosch distributor (using Bosch cap and rotor) but has a microprocessor controlled electronic ignition neatly tucked inside. This distributor was sent overnight to the Hotel so that it would be there on arrival. I packed some tools on Tuesday but couldn’t find my timing light (after moving garages twice).

When Tim and I drove to Portland with the 2600 Touring Spider on Wednesday, we passed a truck with a large semi-trailer that honked to us just when we pulled up to it. I had a hunch that it could be Jay and Tim Nuxoll bringing cars to the convention -- who else would recognize a 2600 in the rear view mirror. A bit later, at the convention check-in, Jay and Tim were next to us and talked about seeing our car on I-5. I had met Jay only once before, and only briefly, at the AROC convention in Seattle (the fabulous Alfa Potlatch) but we had several e-mail conversations off and on AlfaBB. About a week before the convention he wrote me that he was trying to get his favorite 102 Spider ready for the event (and that he wasn’t sure whether it would make it). Well, at check-in I learned his Spider was in the truck with the other cars. Also, I had a chance to ask Tom if he by any chance had a timing light we could borrow the following day. He said yes.

At the track, we parked and had a look around. Tim later moved his car in front of the truck, where we started switching the distributors. Out with the old, in with the new and nothing happened. Hmmm. Re-checking the wiring didn’t help much. Switching this and that didn’t show progress either. I had double-checked about anything I could think off when Jay came back. We asked for his help and he asked a few pointed questions. Have you checked this, have you checked that. One thing I had completely forgotten about: The slot in the distributor shaft is offset to one side. Out comes the distributor again and we make sure the slot is aligned properly. Next, we figured out that we didn’t check whether the crankshaft was aligned for TDC of cylinder 1 or 6 when we removed the old distributor (or installed the new one for that matter). Out comes the spark plug of cylinder 1 but we can’t tell whether or not both valves are closed. We figure it’s only a question of changing ignition wire positions and soon thereafter the engine starts as it should.

In the meantime, Tom started to change a wheel on the trailer that caught a flat the day before. This is usually no big deal but today it is: One of the bolts holding the inner wheel has broken off. There’s nothing for a tool to grip other than a pieces of thread that protrudes about an inch or so. He starts cutting a piece of the thread off to weaken the bolt and create a surface for a wrench. Most other Alfisti are either leaving or already have left and we offer our help. One of the track officials stops by to advise Tom and Jay that the area should be cleared by 4:00 PM. He learns about the problem with the broken bolt and helps finding a pipe wrench somewhere. We try it but no amount of force (including pulling the trailer to use the force of the rotating wheel) makes the nut come loose. It’s past 4:00 PM now and Tom decides to change the tire in place. Taking the tire of the rim is a major piece of work that requires several hands and several attempts. There is simply not a lot of room or leverage for the tools inside the wheel well. Finally, we figure out what the best leverage points are and the tire comes off. We anticipate similar or worse problems for mounting the new tire as we encountered taking the old one off. But this time, luck is on Tom’s side. Thanks to a generous application of WD-40, the first lip of the tire slips on the rim without problems. The second lip requires a little bit more persuasion but isn’t a problem either. However, trying to inflate the tire on the rim doesn’t happen right away. Tom’s air compressor doesn’t have a large enough tank or pressure to force the tire into a position that seals it against the rim. Eventually, he uses some Nitrogen he has in a 200 PSI tank in the trailer. As he opens the valve, the tire pops into position, seals and now can be inflated with air.

It must be around or past 5:00 PM now. We’re the only guys in the track area. Tom asks Jay, Tom, Bruce and I if we can start loading the cars. Sure, we’re happy to help. The first car that goes into the trailer is the Nuvolari 8c2600. I feel honored to steer and push the car onto the loading ramp (the steering wheel turns surprisingly easy), stay with it as the ramp lifts and push it into position on the upper deck of the trailer. Next are the TZ and Tom’s black GTV racer, then, on the lower deck the Montreal and Jay’s Spider. By 5:40 PM, all cars and tools are stowed, hands are washed and everybody is ready to leave. Our trip back to the hotel is short and uneventful. The new distributor on the 2600 works but a flat spot tells us we’ll have to fine tune the timing. After a quick shower, we’re off to the Notte Italian dinner where we have a great time, occasionally wondering if Tom and Jay made it back to Seattle without further incidents.

A big Thank You! goes to Tom and Jay for some great memories. An even bigger Thank You! goes to the owner of the 8c and TZ for letting them bring the cars to the event –- for without him and these cars, we wouldn’t have quite as good a story to tell.

The first set of pictures shows Jay's 102 Spider and the 8c2600 Monza and the second set show the tire adventure towards the end (when the new tire was on the rim).

Attachments

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These pictures show some of the tire adventure towards the end (when the new tire was on the rim).

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ruedi and Tim,
This is precisely the type of story that should be associated with the 2009 AROC Convention in Portland, hosted by AROO. Advanced planning + exciting activities + occasional changes in direction + successful resolution= wonderful memories.

I just wish we had been able to find you a cutting torch from the track maintenance department, so you could have removed that final stud. Glad to hear about the creative solution that was employed, and in enough time to still make the Notte Italiano dinner. By the time I got the AROO trailer home, I fell asleep on the couch and missed the dinner.

And a huge thanks goes out to everyone who came out to Portland International Raceway for the Time Trials and Autocross events! For the participants as well as spectators, there were some amazing cars on display both at rest and at speed. Thank you all for your involvement!

And of course, THANK YOU to the AROO volunteers who helped us put on a successful Track Day event!

--Mark
Autocross Chair and regular AROO Track Day coordinator

1 - 20 of 23 Posts