Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Looking at this car tomorrow. This is what I am told. Not running for 5 years. Ran strong when parked. 2nd gear rough shifting. Interior good but wear on Recaro bolster. Looks straight from pics. Maybe some minor bumper hits; accordian side pieces look flexed in pics. Engine re-built maybe 20-30k ago. 100k or so total. All windows and electrical working. Some rust showing on lower edge of trunk lid.

I am pretty good with L-jet as I just went through a Fiat 2000. Also re-built that 5 speed.

Advice needed! How hard to repair that tranny? I know it is a rear trans-axle with inboard brakes? Are exterior bumper parts easy to aquire? Should I have the seller try to crank it? Or, would I be better off taking it slowly on my own (pulling plugs, adding lubricant into cylinders to soak, changing oil, priming oil pump, etc)?

My Fiat was running. This would be my first non-running purchase?
Thanks for the help. My first Alfa BTW. I have always loved the older GTVs.

·
Premium Member
14,035 Posts
Check all the electrical equipment! Don't run the engine until you have changed out the timing belt and also take a good look at the fuel hoses, particularly the ones from the fuel rail to the injectors. There have been a few fires caused by leaking hoses.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
"Engine re-built maybe 20-30k ago. 100k or so total"

I'd be curious as to why the engine was rebuilt at about 70-80k miles, as the engine should have been quite fine, barely broken in at that mileage. These Alfa V-6 engines last for much longer than that.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
"Engine re-built maybe 20-30k ago. 100k or so total"

I'd be curious as to why the engine was rebuilt at about 70-80k miles, as the engine should have been quite fine, barely broken in at that mileage. These Alfa V-6 engines last for much longer than that.
Probably a snapped timing belt or bad head gasket led to top end work which five years later becomes an "engine rebuild". The OP should expect plenty of unexpected gremlins to pop up when bringing the thing back to like.

If the car is rusting at the tailgate, it is likely rusting in other places. Sills, wheel arches and bottom of the windows are common rust spot in Milanos.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Go for it.
Do as you propose with the engine.
You can drive the Milano for years with a worn syncro if you just go slow on the up shift and double clutch the downshift. Redline oil helps too. Get the other stuff done first but if it bothers you then,
Tranny is easy to fix. You'll probably have to change the driveshaft donuts anyway. Read this excellent article Alfa Romeo Guibo, Driveshaft, Clutch Technical Troubleshooting Article
Then when you have the front of the tranny lowered its easy to work on. There are threads here,The Alfa 75 / Milano Resource.
While your at install the Monkey shift kit, it makes a big difference.
Good luck and keep us posted, with photos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TThanks for the responses so far.

Seller accumulated many Alfas and is now unloading them all. Seems he drove one until another caught his eye. Then parked the earlier one.

This one he acquired from an Alfa mechanic who did the engine work. He is trying to locate the repair/parts list.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If it's convenient, sure. But if looking around, and '89 is the best year. I would just say, whenever purchasing a car that ain't running? Get it for a good price. Whenever purchasing an Alfa that ain't running. Better get if for steal!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's convenient, sure. But if looking around, and '89 is the best year. I would just say, whenever purchasing a car that ain't running? Get it for a good price. Whenever purchasing an Alfa that ain't running. Better get if for steal!
Why is '89 best? Did it go to Motronic FI that year?

I haven't seen the car yet...next week. Have more time to get smarter on these Milanos.

Again, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
89 has the more sought after gear ratios in the LSD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts