Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey kids, I went for a sunday drive and my gtv started to fart and kind of act like it was going to stall when I was trying to accelerate going uphill. Made it home. Then I tried driving it again yesterday and it ran fine.?????????
Thought it was maybe the clutch or the fuel pump, as the fuel pressure light came on a few weeks ago(it quit when I put in a new main filter)
Insight or ideas welcome.:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
If the car is not driven much, you might need to go take it for a 5,500k rpms drive. Clear the plugs.

If you drive the car often. I'd say fuel filter, fuel pump. Even check if ignition wire is connected tight to the starter. They sometimes come loose.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I assume that it's a SPICA injected Alfa?

I'm also assuming that the problem was a miss in the engine, in which case the clutch wouldn't be at fault.

My guess is it's a weak or failing fuel supply pump. You said you put in a new Main filter (Front?). What about the rear filter? How old is the fuel supply pump?

A failing pump can go bad slowly, losing pressure intermittently and then finally even shorting out and blowing the fuse. You might try checking the internal resistance of the pump and should be 2-50 ohms and current draw about 3-6 amps. If the pump is failing it's possible that readings will be outside that range.

If it is indeed a fuel pump, the pump from the later model L-Jetronic injected Alfas is a good substitute and widely available.

It could be an ignition problem as well, something like a bad plug wire or bad ground on the distributor base plate could cause an intermittent problem, but my bet is the fuel pump (assuming that the rest of the system is clean and working normally.

But first, check all electrical connections clean and tight.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grazie guys

Thanks for the ideas, I'll replace the rear filter first, then if it keeps on crapping out, it's the pump, I guess. Constant project, but that's part of the deal until you replace the whole car.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I had to recently replace the supply pump on my 74 Spider. Symptoms were only an occassional miss which progressively got more frequent to an occassional flash of the fuel low pressure light. Shortly after the light started flashing occassionally, the fuel pump shorted and blew the fuse. Replacing the filters helped for a very short time, but the pump was destined to fail anyway.

The supply pump is kind of expensive, about $160 but is readily available from IAP or Centerline. The Alfa L-Jetronic pump works great and is the recommended replacement for the old style Bosch/SPICA supply pumps. You can also get used ones on Ebay, but I wouldn't recommend them since you don't know how old or how much life they have in them. Best to get a new one that you know will last the rest of the life of the car.

If you start getting the low pressure light, let me know. I just finished writing a fuel system diagnosis guide that may be of use to you. If you have a vacuum/fuel pressure gauge, it may be worth hooking it into the system with a T fitting between the front filter housing and the injection pump. That way you can see what the pressure actually is. With the key switch on and the engine not running you should get at least 10 psi and 15 psi with the alternator running. If it's erractic or low, and the filters are new, then the pump is probably on the way out.

Make sure you check electrical connections and the ground are clean and tight.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I recently replaced the fuel pump on my 69 1750 GTV with SPICA. It was a very easy fix (I'm not the most mechanically adept) that took me about 4 hours. I bought a new Bosch pump (I know that Centerline have them in stock) and made a new bracket to hold it and had to change the wire connectors. The original pump is a larger diameter than the new pump and uses round connectors versus the original spade type. Also, be sure you replace the fuel lines as well. The line from the tank to the fuel filter cannot be replaced without draining the tank, but the 12mm(?) hose from the filter to the pump and the 7mm(?) hose from the pump to the metal fuel line should be replaced.

Garrett

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
It's possible to replace the 1/2" line from the fuel tank to the rear filter without draining the tank, but you do spill a little fuel. Pinch off the line, then ease off the line onto the tank pipe and cover it with you finger and a piece of rubber or something. Then, take the already made up new line and quickly put it on the tank pipe. It does spill a little fuel so be sure the battery is DISCONNECTED. If you need to have the hose off for a few minutes, just make a cap out of a short piece of hose and a big bolt. Also, a couple of big washers and a Vice-grip makes a good hose pincher for shutting off fuel.

As far as the Bosch L-Jetronic fuel supply pump diameter goes, a piece of rubber non-slip floor matting that home center stores sell off bulk rolls makes a perfect sleeve for the old bracket.

As always REPLACE all rubber hoses when you put a new pump in. The outsides may look ok, but the insides may be sluffing off bits of rubber into the filters. DON'T GO CHEAP ON THE FUEL SUPPLY SYSTEM. Do the job right.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grazie(redux)

Thanks again guys. I sort of figured it was the fuel pump, but was not quite sure of it. I have a spare, so I'll use it. Being a neatnik and all, though I'll probably use a stick to plug the hose. Just call me special ed. On the good side though, I stripped and sanded the front end and got it primered. Love that project.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hi,
Sounds like you are on the way to a fix. Kickin and fussin going uphill is a very good clue that your fuel supply is weak. I am an advocate of the Bosch pump. Years ago, Paulo the service manager at Algar Alfa/Ferrari told me about it. Works, lasts longer.
MrC

·
Registered
992 Posts
You may want to open your trunk, lift the trunk carpet and check to make sure that the hot wire that goes to your fuel pump is not grounding out on the trunk floor. There is a connector that is poorly wrapped.

This will cause your car to fart and sputter and eventually blow a fuse if it continues to be grounded.

In fact I suggest everyone check this wire and wrap it if it's suspect. It's worth the two seconds it takes to inspect it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts