Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One obvious problem for many is that the seats won't be independently adjustable but not an issue for us as my wife is not concerned with seat position when she is a passenger. Built it in this fashion so as to keep the mounts simple, the structure rigid and with quick removal in mind. I'll let the pictures do the talking.
j26.jpeg
j27.jpeg

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
One obvious problem for many is that the seats won't be independently adjustable but not an issue for us as my wife is not concerned with seat position when she is a passenger. Built it in this fashion so as to keep the mounts simple, the structure rigid and with quick removal in mind. I'll let the pictures do the talking. View attachment 1650162 View attachment 1650163
looking good....I was lazy, just bought one...

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
561 Posts
Looks good, John. I can't make out the hardware is at the headrest post - what did you use?

You have an opening between the center section and the rear shelf - does it make a wind-tunnel on the freeway?

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi David,
Car is "offsite" so I'll take photos of the hardware when I'm next there. It is basically a shaft with threaded end and a hole drilled through to accept a headrest post. A sleeve fits over this shaft and is compressed against headrest post locking in place. Terrible explanation ;) hopefully photos do a better job.
As for the tunnel opening, still untested. We are in lockdown and I haven't had the spider registered yet. I did leave the opening at the lower section just to facilitate access to anything in the rear whilst underway. If there is too much air flow, I had thought to add a clear flexible PVC flap so as to still allow access but stop draft.

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
561 Posts
Thank you John, yes I would like to see the detail of the bracket, and your tunnel test result.

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Nice work. A wind deflector is a great upgrade especially if you have someone dear next to you that you would like to talk to.

Looking forward to the hardware pics.

Vin

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Surprised you could find the plastic sheeting !! That stuff is really hard to come by at the moment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surprised you could find the plastic sheeting !! That stuff is really hard to come by at the moment.
I used polycarb which is still readily available in AU for the moment but yes agree, lots of other stuff is in short supply.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope these images help.

1. far left rod has hole to accept headrest post.
2. middle sleeve slips over rod with hemispherical cut out lining up with headrest post.
3. nut clamps sleeve tightly against post.

this assembly is then "permanently" fixed to seat. The thread is left long enough to attach the perspex with the plastic knob when required, making for easy removal as well.

John

Image-1.jpeg
Image.jpeg
Image-2.jpeg

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
561 Posts
John -

Nicely thought out. Did you machine this yourself?

My sprinkler tees are functional, and don't look bad, but in comparison more like Paleolithic stone tech . . . .

David OD
Laguna CA
Tee 1.jpg Tee 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
OP: I would use much bigger washers on each side of the plastic. Spreads the bending forces
over a larger area. Making it less likely to break the plastic.
BTW: Are you planing to make and sell these brackets??
Really well done..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John -

Nicely thought out. Did you machine this yourself?

My sprinkler tees are functional, and don't look bad, but in comparison more like Paleolithic stone tech . . . .

David OD
Laguna CA
View attachment 1651724 View attachment 1651725
Innovative alternative David...I like. You may have beaten me to a practical test of the deflector, does it make much of a difference?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP: I would use much bigger washers on each side of the plastic. Spreads the bending forces
over a larger area. Making it less likely to break the plastic.
BTW: Are you planing to make and sell these brackets??
Really well done..
Thank you samakijoe. I haven't road tested yet but agree, depending on wind load, may need retainers with a little more surface area. Hadn't thought of making and selling...realistically probably never find the time;)

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
561 Posts
Hi John -

My washers don't look much larger than yours, but I have rubber washers on both sides between the lexan and the metal washers, and 4 rather than 2 mounts. In 4 years I've had no cracking.

Before I cut the lexan I tested a masonite mockup and at freeway speeds found a wind tunnel between the seat backs, and considerable buffeting of the whole deflector. My deflector goes full width across the rear from seat belt to seat belt. There's no wind between the seats, but no shelf access from the cabin, either. A flap or door would be great, if you make one please post it!

The ID of the plastic sprinkler tees was more than the headrest posts, and they were moving and rattling around from the buffeting. To tighten up the fit I sliced wedges from rubber bungs and superglued them in the ID of the tees.

Our seats are right back and the bottom of the lexan is trapped in the space between the seat backs and the face of the shelf. I rolled up some black fabric and stuffed it in down there out of sight; with no play at the bottom or top, the buffeting and rattling is mitigated.

My wife has long hair, and we both appreciate the reduced wind and noise.

Regards,

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, long time b/w posts but can confirm, as others have, that a wind deflector does just that and keeps the breeze off the back of the head. Great as it gets a little cooler here in AU.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts