Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm through working on the car for the summer (you can all stop laughing now), I took a couple pictures. Next time...pictures of my re-modeled garage....oooh, aaaaah.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and NOW....

Here is the same engine after a lot of hard work, frustration, and pile$ of green $tuff....

(I know some of you may not be into paint on engines, but polishing that late model cam cover is not for me...kudos to those that did it, though)

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for the bad scan on that....one day I'll get a digital camera and descent photo-editing software. Anybody know how to re-size a scan and not get the jaggies? (and get it to less than 100k for the AlfaBB?)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I personally have no problem with painting the engine as long as it's tasteful. Which, IMHO yours is!

Garrett

·
Registered
880 Posts
Very Nice looking car Rob, The engine bay looks alot cleaner in the after photo.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used all hi-temp products: primer, aluminum color, & clear coat so hopefully it'll stay nice looking and easy to clean for a long time.

The head, intake manifold, & plenum, and other visible aluminum also got the same treatment.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Is that the same engine?:D :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, when I couldn't get it started my wife would tell people about the beautiful 1 ton paperweight in the garage....

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Just teasing! You have a very pretty car there. I really like what you've done to the engine...that looks great.

Cheers,

·
Registered
990 Posts
Rob,

Very nice, now you can break out the china and
eat off the engine:D

Im starting my resto, and was wondering how I
am going to clean all the corrosion off the trim
and engine parts. How did they do that? Was it
with a polishing wheel and some kind of compound?
Did you take the parts to a machine shop, or a
plating shop.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the "beautification" work was simply done as a finishing touch to a long head gasket replacement project. Also got the head cleaned and resurfaced, new guides, seals, & springs. So the big chuncks of aluminum: head, plenum, cam cover, intake manifold were bead blasted spotless. They were blasted by the same shop that did the machine work on the head and they didn't charge me anything additional to clean the parts.

Basically all I did was prime, paint & clearcoat them so they'll stay the same color as when they came out of the bead blaster. I bought new cam cover nuts too and a lot of little things that go a long way towards making it look "new" again.

The rest of the engine and smaller pieces of aluminum were just cleaned with a degreaser and some wire brushes. Since you are doing a restoration I imagine you have the engine out of the car so you'd be able to do an even better job. I think you'll be suprised how good the engine will look after a simple, quick degreasing and scrub down...all of that aluminum oxidation comes off really quickly.

I've seen some beautiful polishing jobs on cam covers, especially on the older cars that had an easier to polish design. Go to www.rossored.com ...Jeff has nice pictures of his polishing work. Its a tedious, arduous project but the results are fantastic. But then again, what Alfa project ISN'T arduous and tedious sometimes!

I guess it all just depends on the look you want to go with....thanks for the comments though! Next year...the interior....

·
Registered
751 Posts
Nice work there on your Spider. I'm actually just getting ready to polish another cam cover for my '78...I had one on my last car, and I really liked it, so I thought I'd do it again, but this time with before and after pics, and time my labor to see how long it really takes. (Um, do I really want to know?) The engine bay on my car is pretty clean, though, so I think it'll be worth it. I also took my Chromadoras to the powdercoaters today, and they're bead blasting my new (old-style) 2 piece exhaust manifold, which I'll paint with silver high-heat paint to more or less match the aluminum.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Beautiful looking Spider Rob! And the engine looks great!

CarPoor, what tools/compounds do you need to do the polishing work? I want to polish the valve cover and intake on my 1600.

·
Registered
751 Posts
'67GTV- I use increasingly fine sandpapers on a sanding block for the flatter parts, then wet-or-dry, then a grey scotchbrite drum on a die grinder, then rouge-black, white, then green.
Honestly, it's a nasty job, but it looks SO good when you're finished. Be sure to wear a respirator and safety glasses- the debris that comes off as you're polishing is pretty evil.
Supposedly there is a place near here that will polish a cam cover for like $80 to $100- Developmentally disabled adults do the work, so you're kinda helping to keep them employed. They look pretty good! Photos to follow as I do the job on my cover.
(Ooh, I bet you're all on the edges of your seats!!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts