Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need to show pictures of the car in it's ORIGINAL form which was in desperate need of TLC. This is with brand new body work and paint done by a guy named Paulo who went back to Italy because people didn't appreciate his work. I think the guy was a genius, don't know what those other daft customers were thinking.

Car has:

Konis
racing springs
high performance balanced engine
16" rims with Khumo tires
roll bar.

Sarah.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Nice looking car Sarah!

And da Bronx are looking pretty good too!:p

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'm a very proud Alfa owner.

Actually this is out in Stony Bronk (Long Island) where my folks live. It's very green and lush out there. City Island is beautiful too, but not so spacious. I have to park my baby on the street, but if and when I move again, I'm going to get a place with a garage!

Sarah.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hey Sarah:

Just wanted to say great car. Its always good to see some of these later series 2 Spiders sticking around. What all has been done to your engine?

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought the car for $1250. and the previous owner merely said. "$6000. worth of engine work done." We figure the car has been balanced and has high compression pistons.
Since the engine has always run beautifully and is about 150 hp (only needs timing to be done right now) I decided to leave it alone and not go poking around in it, taking off valve cover, etc and tempt fate. I do plan or writing the former owner and asking him what all he did to it. He restored the engine and then quit throwing money at it. I guess I've picked up where he left off. I've put far more into the car than it is worth, but it's been a fun experience and I hope to find a weekend this summer/fall to take it on the track - thus the reason for the roll bar. Just have to find the time and see if there is any driving/racing/track instruction on weekend I can get off from work.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Knowing Sarah from our NY club, I can affirm that she has done a loving job of restoring this former orphan!! The paint, body work, and top are first rate!! And look at those wheels!!! Way to go Sarah, keep up the good work. By the way, from where I stand, your car has easily quadrupled in value!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Awww Jim, you say the nicest things:D

Here is what car looked like before transformation and totally amazing paint/body job.

http://www.alfaimportcenter.com/alfa_import_center_014.htm

photos of the restoration are here - there are about 4 screens of it. It's my mechanic's site, but my car is in their restoration portion. The guy who did my body work was absolutely brilliant.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Restoration

Sarah,

You look like you had quite the restoration job also. At least your Alfa was together when you got it. Great job and fantastic showroom condition.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Pet peeve

It really strikes me that so many people have the wrong idea about classic cars.

"I have put in a lot more than she is worth"

Well, I have a hard time imagining that it would be any other way. For example, I just sold my 2001 Audi A4. Turns out I paid 30k for a car that was only worth 16k two years later. So, all though I got to use the car, I am out 14 grand.

I really doubt that many of us Alfaholics are losing money on our "investments" as fast as we do on new cars. Besides, name a car that you can buy for the amount that you spend on your Alfa, and I can guarantee it does not have nearly the character of our Italian cars.

Sorry for the rant. I just need to justify my insanity once in a while.

Jeff

1965 Giulia Super (future 2.5 challenge car)
1971 Berlina (Pimp mobile)
1969 Berlina (organ donor with cancer)
1974 GT Veloce (time trial car)
1984 GTV6 (freeway flyer)

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I agree with you, Jeff!

A friend of mine who restores some beautiful FIATs, Alfas and other cars has a little speech he gives to prospective clients. He says:

"You choose what you want to do. A restoration will almost always cost more than the value of the finished product. But, if you enjoy your car, and want to keep driving and enjoying it, you may find that the $20K invested in the restoration of a car that won't sell for more than $10K is still worthwhile. You can go and buy a new Mazda Miata for about the cost of a restoration, or you could be driving a 'brand-new" 1969 Alfa Romeo for the same price...the difference is that with the restoration, you get to choose any color you like, any interior you wish, and whatever engine mods you want."

It isn't the re-sale value for me...as I am not an investor in my cars. I would just rather be considered a 'care-taker' of fine Italian machines...who gets to enjoy their use for a while!

Cheers,

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Alex Csank said:

It isn't the re-sale value for me...as I am not an investor in my cars. I would just rather be considered a 'care-taker' of fine Italian machines...who gets to enjoy their use for a while!
Couldn't agree with you more!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks.

And yes we can all agree that restoration is an act of love not financial savvy. Well... at least not the way I did it. :rolleyes: But it's still more beautiful than 99% of the cars out there and therefore worth it!

Sarah.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts