Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys, I have three questions regarding the engine in my 77 spider project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. I believe I have a 1750 motor, not confirmed but will check the symbols on the cylinder Head to confirm. Question, will I be able to tell by the engine number stamping what year or car the engine originally came from?

2. If confirmed to be a 1750, how rare are these motors nowadays?

3. In comparison what are the hp and tourqe numbers between a stock 1979 2 liter Spica injected motor vs a stock 1750 with webbers?

Cheers Neil.

·
Premium Member
13,983 Posts
Comparing HP can be confusing as the 1750 is often quoted in SAE HP and the 2000 in DIN but according to "Original Alfa Romeo Spider" the Euro 1750 made 122 HP DIN @ 5500 rpm. The SPICA cars varied from year to year and it is hard to know exactly what the '79 made but it was likely a few HP more than the '80 and that made 111 HP DIN @ 5000 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
I believe I have a 1750 motor, not confirmed but will check the symbols on the cylinder Head to confirm. Question, will I be able to tell by the engine number stamping what year or car the engine originally came from?
Distinguishing between 1750 and 2000 engines is pretty simple: 1750's have a canister-type oil filter mounted to the block, while 2000's have a spin-on filter mounted to the front timing chain cover.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ed and Jay, yes think it may be a 1750. Canister oil filter. Will check cylinder Head symbols to be sure. My project has kinda stalled again, getting busy with other things. Wondering if I should pull the plug and go the part it out route. Keeping the drive train and selling the rest of the parts. S2 rubber bumper alfa spider's are not that rare and as such don't bring in alot of money. I don't want to be in it for more than I can sell the car for. Anyways I'm off topic and thinking out loud again. Thanks again Cheers Neil.

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
think it may be a 1750. Canister oil filter.
If it has a block-mounted canister filter, it could be also be a 1600 or 1300. Seems like a long shot that an earlier engine would end up in a '77 spider, but I guess anything is possible.

Wondering if I should pull the plug and go the part it out route. Keeping the drive train and selling the rest of the parts.
Well, only you can decide that. I parted out a '77 spider several years ago, and yes I too kept the drive train. A few considerations:

- The drive train is the most valuable part of an older Alfa. Of course, it's also the hardest to ship.

- I parted out my car in southern California, where a high concentration of Alfa enthusiasts live close by. People could readily drive to my house to pick up the larger/heavier parts. Will that work as well in Vancouver?

- There is a big demand on ebay for small bits like gauges and tail lights. But it takes a LOT of time to photograph, weigh, write descriptions, deal with stupid questions, ship, get swindled, etc. etc. You certainly can make money, but be prepared to earn it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jay, for your solid advice. Yeah your right you will have to earn every nickel when selling parts. Vancouver has alfa enthusiasts but most probably have a extra car or enough in a garage to make an extra car. I think I have at least get the car running to evaluate the drivetrain. Thanks again, need to get motivated, Cheers Neil.

·
Premium Member
21,672 Posts
Some later non-US engines smaller than 2000 had spin on filters, but it if has Spica that wouldn't be the case. Can you see an engine number on the boss by the distributor or near the header flange? 1600 and 1750 blocks are different height, but not by a lot, and if you're new to the comparison it might be hard to tell.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,983 Posts
I assumed from the first post that this car has Webbers and that as it was in Canada it was likely a Euro spec motor. Maybe I should not have been so presumptuous.

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
Some later non-US engines smaller than 2000 had spin on filters...
Andrew:

Right you are, but in post #4 alfa tiger reports that his engine has a canister-type filter. So we know it isn't a 2000. The odds are good its a 1750, but as you said, measuring the block height or decoding a part number would be the definitive way to rule out 1600 or 1300.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

If you have a canister oil filter, it's probably a 1750, but you can quickly tell for sure by looking at the front of the engine just about the water pump. A triangle identifies the 1750

image.jpg

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys for all your help. I will start the identification and decoding this weekend. I will snap a pic or two and post just to confirm my findings. I believe the car started out it's life as a 77 us spec 2 liter Spica car, but somewhere along the line it has had an arranged marriage with this engine in question. The intake is euro for sure and not a Spica to Webber conversion kit that retains Spica throttle linkage. The fuel pump is electric Spica inline yet no pressure regulator to be found. A plastic inline fuel filter also adorns the engine bay which I believe is not correct. I have some work ahead of me and some learning to take place. Thanks again Cheers Neil.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
...I don't want to be in it for more than I can sell the car for...
Alfa, by definition is to be into it for more than you can sell it for. That said, if the body is solid - little or no rust - than it would be a shame to part it out. The mechanicals are readily available and even though a 1750 is more rare it really doesn't bring a premium price -especially if it needs rebuilding.

If you have the time to at least evaluate it, do so. If not and/or lack the funds then do consider selling it whole. Personally I think the S2a (rubber bumper) Spiders are quite desirable as they are easy to upgrade (retro) with SS bumpers while providing improvements in other areas over the easliest Kamms. Again, this assumes the body is worth saving in the first place...

·
Premium Member
13,983 Posts
I think that the 1750's delivered to Canada were all Euro spec. I had a '70 Spider and it was euro. So your motor will have Euro cams in addition to the desirable Euro intake and Webers. AFAIK, the early 1750's had 9.5 to 1 pistons and the later ones (post '69) had 9.1 to 1's which dropped the output by a few horsepower.

Jay is right, either the pump is not a SPICA, or it has a regulator, or the engine won't run.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Guys, thanks for your help and advice. I bought this car as a non runner, a failed father and son project. The car was a non runner at the time of purchase. The deal included about five boxes of parts, mostly new. Sport springs, koni's, sway bar ect..... The p\o had built the carbs for leaking and debris from the fuel tank which resembled swiss cheese. The engine bay currently looks like a crime scene. I am going to try to get it running to evaluate the drivetrain. Will be looking for help from the board, thanks in advance. Cheers Neil

1 - 15 of 15 Posts