Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first attempt at posting my project on the BB so please forgive my clumsy efforts...... :eek:
I will start with the original car and show the various stages we went through....

The car was a 2nd owner car which had lived all it's life in Johannesburg (5500ft elevation) so almost no rust. The interior was nice and it ran fairly well. I decided to build a "ultimate GTV" within the constraints of my budget.
So here are my efforts.... I will update from time to time but unfortunately I never kept a full photo record of the work... So here we go....!;)

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The next step was to take off as much paint as possible to see exactly what was below that yellow exterior and also removing all the chrome trim and other misc bits....

Then it was of to the mechanical shop to strip out all the hardware and begin the long task of re-building:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As we tore the car down it became apparent that it would need some replacement body parts and so the long and expensive process of gathering parts began, I had the body completely taken back to bare metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great project you got going there. Once I'm finished with my studies end of this year I'm looking to buy something similiar to restore, those Alfa's are simply the best looking machines on earth.

Will keep an eye out for this car when I'm in CPT again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You Divan and as I see it is your first post on the ALFA BB forum...WELCOME.:)
The car is a lot further advanced now than the pics show but I will add new stuff periodically.
When you do finally see it on the road it is no longer yellow but a beautiful fine fleck silver.... If you PM me your e-mail address I will let you know when it runs and also you might like to visit the WP Alfa Club some time.
Otherwise good luck with your studies and your future project.

Thanks for the interest
Steven

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the welcoming, I have sent you an PM with my email address(not sure if it came through).

Most of the time I am in Cape Town I am busy with my commitments for our rally club, but I would love to hear more of the WP Alfa Club. I might come round when you guys meet one day. Do you have a website perhaps?

Good luck with the project!

PS You seem to have quite an impressive collection judging from your sig!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mail sent......

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Subtle.... I notice you are a Subaru fan also. Is your Legacy a 2.2?

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Yes--it is 2.2 closed deck.

As sold in North America, they were detuned with a small turbo.

I've put on a vf 34 from, I think, a series 7 STi. Custom fmic and SDS ecu.

AP Racing brakes and Drummond 40 mm coilovers.

It is a rather deceptive car.:D

What are your plans for your WRX?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At the risk of hijacking my own thread.... My WRX (GT is what they were sold here as) has a balanced and blueprinted STI5 motor with a vf22, Bigger top mount intercooler,HKS headers and a Link ECU.It has 6 pot AP's and Leda coilovers with a full poly bush kit and Whiteline 24mm rollbars. It ran with this spec for about 5 years but over the past 2 years I have been collecting the parts for the next upgrade.I have a STI7 6 speed JDM box with a matching diff with front and rear LSD's. I also have a TDO5/20g turbo with 550cc injectors and a Apexi AVCR to control the boost better.I was about to put it all in when one of my exhaust valves decided to give up the ghost and a small piece chipped off and ended up in the turbo. Lucky no bottom end damage.So I ordered a Supertec valve train and the heads are being rebuilt as we speak.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK... so back to the GT....

After we stripped the car and inspected it well we realized that it needed a new right rear inner and outer fender, wheel well and front valance. Not very much when one considers the age of the car. While I was at it I decided to make a complete list of parts for replacement and order the whole lot in one go from Max Banks at Alfaholics.(an absolute pleasure to deal with!!)

After several long calls to him I finalized a list, imploded my credit card, and Max shipped me the parts sea freight. They took 2 months to get into my hands but I now had practically everything I needed to complete the restoration.

One thing I can say is that any budget I had prior to beginning this project was totally destroyed!!:eek: I realised that this was going to be much more expensive, time consuming, and slower than I had previously thought.

Now with so much invested in the car I had to consider my choices for the performance and handling..................

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well you've got yourself a solid chassis to begin the restoration on...many of us are investing a ton of time just to get to this point....count yourself lucky!
Thanks 1750GT. We are lucky that the Alfa's produced here in South Africa and kept at high altitude have survived the years relatively well indeed. I looked long and hard to find a good original car and I payed a premium for it.
Fortunately we still have a relatively large choice of cars although many of our better ones have been exported to the UK.

Correct me if I am wrong but it appears to me that in the US and Canada because of the popularity of the GT enthusiasts are resurrecting cars that maybe 10 years ago would have been stripped for spares...Never an easy task.

I have not been able to do anything on the car the past month as I have not been well but I am on the mend and I hope to update the thread soon....;)

Steven

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well after a few months of delay the body is finally painted. The new silver looks awesome on the car and my pictures do not do it justice. Hopefully we can begin the re-assembly in the next few weeks.:)

I have purchased a Twin Spark engine rebuilt,balanced,blueprinted and fitted with throttle bodies and fuel injection. The engine was built by Dawie de Villiers at Glenwood Motors. I also purchased from Dawie a full set of RS Racing adjustable suspension. That with a new sway bar and full suspension rebuild kit from Alfaholic's should give the car the handling to match the TS engine's hopefully 130kw performance.

The box and diff have been rebuilt and overhauled so I have almost everything I need.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been very busy the past few months with the distractions of life so the GTV has taken a back seat. Today I finally got it moved from the body shop to it's new "assembly" home at Killarney Racetrack. I have rented a space from a friend who works on my Subaru and between the two of us (and a few others) we will begin the re-assembly early in the new year. I will spend the rest of the year moving all the parts to the workshop and going through everything.

I still need a fuel tank, fuel pump and a few other bits and pieces so I will be calling Max at Alfaholics soon......

Here are a few pics of the move.........

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

As soon as I get the workshop sorted out I will take some pics and give you an update.
Until then dear friends................

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
she looking awfully nice!!!! Is this AR728, AR727 or a totally different color?? What will you do with the interior? I am considering this color for my GTV, but don't want to redo my interior which is black and in great shape....Red would be my preference with silver, I noticed you have a boar interior?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks Peter it's happening slowly but surely.....;)

Actually this is not an ALFA color. At the risk of being roasted:eek:....it is a Mazda color. It is described as "Mazda Moondust Silver"

I wanted a fine fleck silver that had just the right look. I spent days visiting various dealerships and when I saw this color I knew it was the right one. Not to bright,(like me!) a little flat but still modern.

As for my interior I have purchased a complete set of black seat covers and door panels from Alfaholics.I wanted to keep my car original inside to maintain the 70's feel so I decided against leather. I know black is a little boring but it looks good with a silver car.I have a new carpet set and the only "modern" thing fitted to the interior is going to be 2 SPA gauges for oil temp/pressure and water temp/fuel pressure. Important for the motor I am running.

Are you in the middle of a rebuild?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
At any rate, the color looks nice! I just started stripping my GTV for a rebuild
(http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1965-1974/139853-69-euro-gtv-restoration.html)
I will very likely take more time that you have done.....but hope to finish it one day;)

Keep us updated with pics....would love to see the black interior with the silver....My GTV was originally red....either staying black, going back to red for the sake of originality, or going wild and painting it silver...unfortunately, I will have a long time to decide:eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts