Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've owned this '68 Fiat 850 Sedan for about two years now.
I bought it off a guy on sleazbay. He claimed "drive it anywhere" and had good feedback. He didn't mention that you can drive it anywhere on a flatbed truck. The engine looked as if it had been sitting with fuel in it for years. The intake side of the head was coated with thick tarnish and the carburetor was horribly blocked.
About two days after I got it cleaned a driving then the number four piston shredded the rings and chewed up the head.
Just at the time the piston and head became one unit a guy offered a project car for $150. I bought it for parts and found that the motor in it was just like new and was a 903cc engine! I took the engine apart and found the bearings and other parts to be as new.
Scuderia Topolino sourced me a DCNF 40 Weber and the parts car came with a fair exhaust for it. I added some new shocks and suspension bushes , front Abarth style spring from Judge Parker Racing.
The car now does drive everywhere on it's own power and handles good too.

I use to own a 1970 Alfa Romeo GT1300Jr and regret selling it, but this little 850 Sedan makes up for it a little. The car even looks like a GT that has been shrunk in the wash. A member of the Alfabb owns the 70 GTJr now and he has done some pretty awesome upgrades to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had only seen one when I had a Fiat 500 back in 2001 and thought it looked cool. Then at the end of 2004 I found one on ebay and bought it. Since then I have seen two others at the annual Italian/Frech car show here in So.California. It is a smooth riding car even with the Abarth spring and interior noise is quite civilized. I guess anything is smoother and quieter compared to my '65 Morris Cooper.

I have it for sale, but not really wanting to sell it. If it stays I will paint it a metallic grey colour and trim the interior in Ox Blood red leather and black carpet. I also would like to put some nice wheels on it. A local engineer does some trick engine work and has turbo charged an 850 Spider so I might have that done to my Sedan.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, but she sold about two weeks after I posted this topic.:mad:
I would have liked to keep her, but my '65 Mini Cooper needed some attention.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Neato looking little car:cool:. Probably feels like your doin' a hundred when you're doin' 30. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that is how it is with older small cars, you feel like you are flying when you really are just puttering along. Big thrills with good gas mileage and less speeding tickets!:)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Sorta :( off topic but I remember an interview with Jay Leno when he was caught in a speeding trap in one of his old original vehicles when taking a corner. He said, sorry officer, how fast was I going. The officer said, no problem Mr. Leno, you were doing 32 (or something like that).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts