Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Thank you for the info!

Already taking it out again tonight. (With a screw driver, on local roads :))

I will look into all the things you mention. I did check the air filter at one point and maybe didn’t put it back cleanly.

The photo @spiderserie4 ; shows was me illustrating that it was just pushed together but not connected, I slid it over for effect. It was in-line, but not over the other piece.

Maybe it did shrink too - feels like if I get one side working the other is loose. @SkiBum ;, it really does sound like a pop loose and it’s on a neutral to 1st gear acceleration.

I think in one of the videos you can see across the engine then engine how it looks when I have it clamped. It looks lined up, just not snug on both sides. I’ll try twisting it too.

More soon but wanted to take a moment to thank you for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
unclip the top of the air filter box, so it is a bit loose, then fit the hose.
then clip air box back together....make sure none of the spring clips is jammed inside the airbox
see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
For those still following along - here's the current status.

Air Duct
I think I have it. For some reason it's a bit "high" - if I press it down it makes it a little longer to firmly connect to the air filter end and the plenum end.

The tip on not over-tightening was really helpful - I had it cranked down so tight that could have helped with the pop off. I do want to check the engine mounts, but not sure what I'm looking for yet and haven't had time to go through the manual to try and figure it out. I did press on the engine and nothing felt like it moved. (The whole car moved of course, but no creaking or separate movement.)

New wires arrived and installed:
Got the wires from Kingsborne. I've connected them and driven the car a few times - runs great! Back to a slow start apparently (missing spark on cold start? Haven't looked into it at all yet - could be another loose connection for air or wires) but it runs again and feels like it runs much better with the new plugs, wires and distro cap.

I did get them in red, because why not add a little color to the engine bay, but I ran into these issues.
  • They are longer then the original ones and I'm not sure how to run them in the engine compartment.
  • They are a little wider (8mm vs. 7mm) and that seems to cause an issue with the black guide that is on the engine these are supposed to run through. I can't get the lid on easily and worry I'll break it if I force it on... or force it off once I get it on.
  • They might be a little taller then the original ones? You can see the duct resting on the plug. Might have been like that with the original wires I don't remember and don't have any photos to reference from that angle.
  • It came with a cap for the Coil. I could have done something dumb or saved the day, but I wasn't sure how to use that with the coil having other wires coming out of it, so I removed the cap and used the old Bosch 90 degree boot on the wire. I felt pretty clever for doing this so even if it was a silly idea I'll savor that moment at least :LOL:
I like the way the red ones look but not sure if the lack of fitting well is what I get for trying to be fancy. I can get the red ones from Centerline (or the OEM replicas) and return the Kingsborne but not sure that'll address all the issues (height, length, width).

Should I stick with what I bought? Ideas on how to deal with the fit issues? Worried the wires will shake loose while I'm driving although that hasn't happened on my test drives.

I haven't tried to put on the rain guard on the distributor yet in case I needed to undo what I've done so far, but that - along with the wire guides - will be my last step.

Or should I send them back to Kingsborne and replace with different ones?

Still having a bit of a slow to start so need to to through all the connections anyway and ensure everything is working properly, but if best to get other wires I'd like to get those ordered so they are on their way.

Thanks for everyone's time and guidance!

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Yep, you went fancy and caused yourself problems.
8mm doesn’t fit the cable tidy on the engine, original 7mm do!
I doubt you can send them back to kingsbourne but if you can swop them for black 7 mm that’s what I’d do.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
Most of us,( at least me), dont have the top for the wire guide anyway. I just use 2 tie wraps to secure them in the guide. I usually route mine under the top rad hose and once more a couple of tie wraps to keep them together and away from moving parts....
Just run what you have. Make sure you have plenty of cranking voltage about the slow start issue. One thing that is quick, cheap, and a great upgrade is a starter relay. Saves the ignition switch and throws more amps directly to the starter...

Reactions: Lantheaume

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts
Here is a diagram for you....
0_starter relay 2.jpg

Reactions: Lantheaume

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Ok - progress was made!

Today I:
  • replaced the fuel filter. (No jack stands so was an uncomfortable job, but seems to be not leaking. Might need to wrap the filter in something, even with the rubber ring around the middle it’s a hair loose. Will move if I push on it, but feels secure otherwise)
  • reran the ignition wires under the big radiator line and added the rain cover back on the distributor. (What a pain that was!!)
Test drive was a pleasure

Still takes a beat (a two count) to start from cold, but I’m going to check the battery before I start it tomorrow. Should be topped up great after my drive today.

Also noticed that once it starts the Idle dips for a second then recovers. After starting it runs peachy (as far as idle goes)

Taking it out on our first day trip tomorrow. 90+ miles each way. I’ve driven half that on joy rides and car has performed great so not really worried, but have added tools to the trunk just in case . Full tank, tires checked, topped up oil. Any other pointers needed?

@SkiBum ; - interested I in the starter relay, but might be outside my abilities at this piont as I don’t really know what it is, or how to read the diagram. Will add to my projects list though!

So if the cold start remains at a turnkey-one-two-start is that normal or should it be starting right off (like my 2012 cars). Never sure what’s normal for a 34 year old car.

Thank you all for your help! Special call out to @spiderserie4 ; and @SkiBum ; for sticking it out on the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,162 Posts

Ok - progress was made!

Today I:
  • replaced the fuel filter. (No jack stands so was an uncomfortable job, but seems to be not leaking. Might need to wrap the filter in something, even with the rubber ring around the middle it’s a hair loose. Will move if I push on it, but feels secure otherwise)
  • reran the ignition wires under the big radiator line and added the rain cover back on the distributor. (What a pain that was!!)
Test drive was a pleasure

Still takes a beat (a two count) to start from cold, but I’m going to check the battery before I start it tomorrow. Should be topped up great after my drive today.

Also noticed that once it starts the Idle dips for a second then recovers. After starting it runs peachy (as far as idle goes)

Taking it out on our first day trip tomorrow. 90+ miles each way. I’ve driven half that on joy rides and car has performed great so not really worried, but have added tools to the trunk just in case . Full tank, tires checked, topped up oil. Any other pointers needed?

@SkiBum ; - interested I in the starter relay, but might be outside my abilities at this piont as I don’t really know what it is, or how to read the diagram. Will add to my projects list though!

So if the cold start remains at a turnkey-one-two-start is that normal or should it be starting right off (like my 2012 cars). Never sure what’s normal for a 34 year old car.

Thank you all for your help! Special call out to @spiderserie4 ; and @SkiBum ; for sticking it out on the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I glad it is running fine for you now! When and if you do decide to install a starter relay we can walk you through it. It is super easy so when you are ready.....

Reactions: AaronsSpider

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can you post a video of your “starting issue?”

I’m not feeling the vibe that it’s an issue at all as my Alfa takes a second or so to start and that’s pretty normal.

Obama once said, “if you like your wires, you keep your wires.” So if they work fine and you can get them to sit properly and you can live with them, keep em!

Only the purists here will know how an Alfa engine bay is “spozed” to look so it’s ok to personalize your ride somewhat. Just don’t open your hood for anyone without checking their ID and screen name first!! Lol

Sounds like you’re having fun, I’ve developed a clunking noise underneath mine, the car was sitting since 98 so I suspect a lot of suspension goodies are “sh-tting the bed” under it as we speak.

Anudda 200 dollar order from Centerline came this week and a set of rebuildable rear calipers from Long Island also arrived. Now I have to see what kit to get to rebuild them.

They are from a 93 spider. I also picked up the caliper half seals which don’t seem to come in the rebuild kits. Next to find the fronts so I can rebuild them as well. I don’t like down time, so I’ll rebuild both sets off of the car then swap em out 1-2-3.

Having fun puttering around with the car and it’s coming together slowly but surely. I picked up the stainless headlight rings, they look really nice!

Regards Richy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh, and last but not least. I have been researching window regulators to replace the crappy cable system the spiders have.
It should be here this week and if it works out, I will post a video of the install.
This one looks promising and only costs 25 bucks! 1/10th of other offerings. I’ve worked out much of the fitment issues on paper, but I’m sure I can make this happen.

I liked this regulator as it had several attributes which allow a simple installation and very few moving parts to deal with.

Regards Richy

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
So if the cold start remains at a turnkey-one-two-start is that normal or should it be starting right off.........
a two second count when cold? (ie. the time it takes to say: mississippi one, mississippi two.....)........sounds perfect to me.

it is when you get to about 'mississippi twenty-seven' that you have a problem :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
@spiderserie4 - That was exactly it. Felt good for a bit, but now dealing with the fuel pump/hoses. Once that's settled and if the car starts A-Ok, I'll wrap up this thread.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts