Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Figured I’d try to get this attached while I’m
working on the distributor.

@spiderserie4 ; - is this where that thermo doohickey goes? (Little hole in center of photo)

In the meantime I twist tied it to the coolant container.

How should I attach it to the radiator - small zip tie? Wire?

(This being said - I’ve never heard the fan running after I turn off the car. Not sure if it’s b/c that piece is broken or b/c it’s not been in the right location)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
That little hole is correct
A single screw, that fits the hole,will do it.

Reactions: Lantheaume

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Glad you are getting things squared away! One thing about torque wrenches. If you bought a cheapy you are almost better going by feel, they can be so inaccurate it would amaze you. A good one will cost you a couple hundred bucks and come with a calibration sheet from final inspection. Dont worry about torque on the plugs, they have a crush washer, just go by the 1/4 turn rule...
Guessing that makes mine a $40 is a cheepo then.

Worth keeping for other projects or return to sender and save my pennies for something else?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Got the Bosch part, but looks used/returned.
Not sure how important the coating is. Safe to use?

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
where did you buy it?
did it come in a Bosch box?
looks like a cheaply molded fake from here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
where did you buy it?
did it come in a Bosch box?
looks like a cheaply molded fake from here.
Autozone - they overnighted it to a local location

Came in a Bosch box. Was like $23

Also got a cheap backup from O’Rielly due to a misorder ($8) that I was going to return.
(They steered me wrong a few times now - I have 4 chain shops locally, I’m going to stop using orielly)

I think the Bosch has a two year warranty on it.

I’m also out wires due to the holiday (the place recommended is closed till the the 8th)

My semi plan is to:
Already replaced the spark plugs
Get a distributor to coil wire someplace (that’s the one that’s split) the spark plug wires seem okay enough
Use the cheap distributor cap
Use either the original rotor or the new Bosch rotor (it looks good)
And see if it starts/starts better.

Then I can return the locally sourced parts, order the Bosch from autohausAZ and the new SP wires from wire site and replace everything bit at least confirm with the cheap cap and single wire that everything works and I don’t need something else.

I’d be out $20, but if it works the I know that’s the problem (and I get to drive it)

Dumb plan? Ok idea? What am I not considering?

Ty!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I’ve seen caps with the grind marks,
A factory second is what you have there.
You can use it, it will be fine.
Thanks @Richy04

Updated plan!

Have that installed the Bosch cap and rotor and think I have a source for a 10” 7mm wire for the coil. Am bringing my wires with me to confirm it’ll fit.

If that works I’ll use the current SP wires and the new Coil wire for now, then order a full set from a recommended source and install those when they get here.

Also installed the thermo switch for the AC fan in its proper location.

Assuming the car starts planning on replacing the fuel filter too.

Feels good to have my head around this a little bit! (I know it’s basics for a lot of you, but for someone who’s never even changed oil before, installing spark plugs and a distributor cap - even if they don’t work - feels pretty great)

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Yeah, great, A factory Second for double the price
Sure it might work but I’d chuck it back at autozone and tell them they got a nerve selling rubbish like that

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Yeah, great, A factory Second for double the price
Sure it might work but I’d chuck it back at autozone and tell them they got a nerve selling rubbish like that
Feel similarly. Called them and they said they’d swap it out if there’s any issue at all.

At this point I’m caulking it up to a $15 lesson to check things before I leave the shop and the difference between getting the car going today vs next weekend (often don’t have under the hood time during the work week).

Worth buying another from auto Haus and keeping as a backup? How often do folks need to replace distributor caps?

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
try get the car going with it, I agree.

Then take it back at autozone and demand a proper Bosch cap

Reactions: Lantheaume
61 - 71 of 71 Posts