Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Below my 1991 164 3.0V6 QV.

The car was originally sold in Germany, but was imported to Denmark by the previous owner last year. A common thing in Denmark, where the 164QV was outrageously expensive from new - so not many were sold as new. Now, they are real cheap in Germany, so Danes finally have a chance of affording them! I bought it a year ago, and have enjoyed driving it every day since.

This might be obvious to Alfisti, but I will have a go anyways: :)
QV in Alfa terminology doesnt stand for QuadroValvole as many thinks. Since its a 1991 car its a 12 valve V6 - the 24 valve came in 1993. QV stands for Quadrofoglio Verde - meaning cloverleaf (notice the small cloverleaf on the back), which was a "luxury" version of the 164. This means leather interior, air conditioning, adjustable suspension, etc.

The car is totally original right down to the exhaust and alloy wheels. Rather rare, as many fall for the temptation to put on 17" rims, big bore exhaust, spoilers, etc. It has 210.000 km on the clock, but runs like a dream. I have had the suspension and brakes overhauled, but apart from that, all it needs is a new exhaust. And in case something goes wrong, I have another one just like it in the garage :D

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Nice looking original Alfa! Yep, always pays to have a spare Alfa lying around ;)

Pete

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it have an original body kit on it? The front spoiler, side skirt all look different than the 164 I have seen.
Yes, the body kit is original. The front and rear spoiler + skirt is standard equipment on the QV, along with the alloy wheels, leather, A/C and electronically adjustable suspension. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Great looking 164. How much horses there is under bonnet in QV, If i have understand correct it has little bit more than "normal" model. I would like to have 164Q4 with 230hp, its really rare car here.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine in the QV is the same as the rest of the V6 alfas at the time; 3.0L, 12 valve, 193Bhp. Power output wasnt changed until the arrival of the 24 valve engine in 1993. This engine has 230Bhp, and is the one that is in the Q4 - which is really rare in Denmark too, only one in the club.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Actually, the engine in the 91-93 QV, or S as it's known here in North America is quite a bit different than the one found in the other models. The S has different pistons resulting in a higher compression ratio, it has oil jets to cool the bottoms of the pistons, it has different cams and slightly different heads. The intake runners are bigger, as is the MAF sensor. The manifolds are bigger, and the catalytic converter is twin entry/exit... the other models are single. The exhaust system is more free flowing in the S as well. The computer chip is different in the S. I'm sure there's more differences, but these are all I can think of. Oh ya, the transmission is different, with shorter throws and closer gear ratios. Overall these differences in the S engine make it a completely different beast to drive. It's 200 HP compared to the 193 of the other models, but it feels like alot more than 7 HP when driving the two.
-Ryan Eyres
1992 164S

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats very interesting Ryan, I wasnt aware of this.

I have never driven the "standard" V6, so I havent experienced the difference. Thanks for the update! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts