Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These photos document the car's condition at the time of its purchase. Since then (July 2000), I have replaced the aftermarket racing seats with the original veloce seats found in the 67's, added an ansa tailpipe and an abarth exhaust, had the wheels repainted (rally silver), and added a 10 disk Sony Xplod in trunk CD with a 400 watt amp and Memphis speakers. Sit back and enjoy!! I'll soon be posting photos of my 93 164 L with its new 17" Anterra wheels.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The pictures

For one reason or another, the pictures didn't come up...here is my second attempt:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damnit

What the Hell is wrong with this **** machine!!!!they won't load...as for now the general is going to plan out an new strategy. Chin noogies for all...enjoy

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
that is one NICE looking car! i used to have those rims on my race car. 14x6 stil auto's...nice and rare wheel. you got a definate keeper, don't ever sell her!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Awesome looking GTV Jim! What kind of mods have been done to her? Looks like she's been made to look like a '67 with the green quadrifoglios. I didn't think that Veloces were made in '64. Do tell. :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dear Kai, right you are!! In 64, the first year of the 105 bodies there were no veloce models. Only single carburated normales. In 64, Alfa sold this model which was called the Giulia Sprint GT as well as the last of the 101 bodies also sold as a Giulia Sprint GT. In any event, the 105 body coupes were not imported to the US until 65, making this car a "grey market" import. As such, gauges are in italian (olio, benzina, acqua, olio again - temp and pressure), as well as the speedo being in kilometers, as is the odometer. In addition, the exterior of the car is stock with the exception of the quadrifoglios, the rims, veloce nameplate on the rear to the right of the license plate frame, the decals (autodelta and quadrifoglios again), and the baby tornado mirrors (which I wish were chrome). Furthermore, the front grill on either side of the alfa shield has been blacked out (I have a stock grill in the original wraper that is chrome). So much for the outside. As for the interior, I've installed veloce style seats in leather with a similar basketweave to the original, but not identical. As for the mechanicals, dual Webers, Veloce Cams, Alternator, Performance Ignition, Lightened Flywheel, and the suspension has been lowered with a Ward and Dean suspension upgrade. The car is fast and tight. Also, stereo seriously upgraded. Sony Xplod head unit with cassette in dash and 10 disc CD in trunk, together with a 400 watt Sony Xplod power amp, and 4 Memphis speakers. It's a blast to drive and sounds great. Oh yeah, since the photos an ansa tailpipe and abarth exhaust have been added. Finally, just one month ago, I had the Stil-Auto wheels repainted rallye silver.
Next, I'll post interior and engine shots and then photos of the 164. Go Alfa GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got to keep updating this thread until drecterini leaves a post.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
VERY nice...and rare...

This car warrants some extra money as the '64s are VERY rare. Personally, I rather have a '65-'67 veloce though, or a '69-'71 1750.

Due to the exceptional rarity, this car is probibly worth $10000-$12000 on the market, but I wouldn't pay more than $8000 as I rather have the Veloce or 1750 for the same $10000.

I also just as soon have a TI or a Super sedan in the same condition for around $5000-$6000.

My ideal car is a '56-'58 Giulietta Sprint veloce, but I can't afford the $30000 they seem to bring.. I would pay $10000 for a REALLY nice eyebrows normale '54-'57 though; either floor or column shift...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Insular enthusiasts and car values

I'm hijacking this thread because its a beautiful segue - I came to this thread from the 164 for sale for 8k thread.

Marque enthusiasts (of all kinds) tend to be very insular and have deflated opinions of their own cars values. I think this is because they know the market and understand how to get what they percieve to be the best value for their money. I've been a member of several car communities now and this seems to be the norm; Mustang people, BMW 6 series people, Triumph people, Alfa people, even Miata people all think that others routinely pay too much for cars.

Look at it from an external perspective - I wasnt an Alfa guy unitl last year when I paid 12.5 k for a 1968 Euro GTV in excellent -original- condition. Many of you will choke at hearing I paid that, but personally, 12.5k represents an excellent value compared to what I could get in comparable cars - and 12.5k is not huge money on the collector car market. Heck, I've seen my common as grass 65 Mustang Fastback appreciate from 8k to 12.5k easy in the years I've owned it - and it is not a 1 owner car with that beautiful patina of age.

Gotta step outside your skin when thinking of car values. Alfas represent a fantastic bargain as far as collector cars go right now. Certainly a lot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Jim is right on here on the value of a collector car. You can pay 12500 for a pristine GTV.....or you can go my route and pay 2000 for a starter, disrepaired car. And if you go my route you end up with a total investment of 17,000 like me. I think the DR is not realistic when it comes to getting a quality collector. It becomes less and less about NADA and more about what has been done to the car and how much money the owner has invested.

To the General....great car. Very clean and I would chalk it up as pristine. Your car like mine does not fit into a NADA chart. Hence thats why there are appraisers out there for classic autos in pristine shape for insurance purposes. Some people just can't get it through to the noggin and want something for nothing.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey doc, thanks for the half hearted compliment. But I think you see my point. As does Mr. Cheney. I didn't buy this car as an investment. But I didn't buy it to drain me dry either. I bought it because I love it's shape and it's uniqueness. With that being said, however, I do know that I will not lose money on the car.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
The comment wasn't half-hearted...

it's just that I am VERY pragmatic. The bottom line is a car is worth what someone else will pay for it..

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
generaljimt said:
I didn't buy this car as an investment. But I didn't buy it to drain me dry either. I bought it because I love it's shape and it's uniqueness. With that being said, however, I do know that I will not lose money on the car.
Wow! I think that's the first thing you've written I agree with.:D

Great lookin' car, too!!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts